1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trotter's Franchise Tag lifted

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rocketteen, Apr 5, 2002.

1. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

2. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

I saw that too and before it mentioned Texans that was where my mind was thinking. Boy, if the Texans get him, it really would be the perfect offseason for the Texans to come into the league with. Their defense is going to be strong even without Trotter. I don't know 5 wins might not be pushing it will this personel.

3. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

5 wins, but with the best defense in the league. He's like 25, if we were to sign him, the future would be very bright.

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

If we get Trotter, rest assured the Texans will have one of the top 3 best defenses in the League, if not the best. From the D-Line, to the Linebackers, to the D-backs, we are absolutely solid. Not to mention we have one of the best Offensive lines also. 8 wins would not surprise me, 9 would make me very happy, and 10 would make me forget about the Rockets miserable season.

5. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

hell yeah. I knew Philly wasn't going to pay him big $$$.

Now the Texans can sign him outright without wasting a high pick. Cmon, sign this guy. :)

6. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

The only thing that the Texans really need defensively, is a fat ass DT who can plug up the middle, and allow our ILB's to roam.

The defense has the potential to be among the best in the NFL. The question is how quickly they can pick up the 3-4 scheme.

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

settle... settle...

houston may not even have the third best defense in their own division. sure, trotter would be a treeeee-mendous addition, but question marks still dot the unit: 1) with the exception of walker and payne, this will be a new system for everyone -- repeat EVERYONE; 2) their DL has no depth, in fact, at this point, it doesn't even have three legitimate starters -- depth along the defensive line is key when running a 3-4; 3) wong was out of place playing OLB in minnesota and it wasn't until he was moved inside that he began to thrive -- the texans plan to move him outside; 4) glenn has lost a step and coleman did not play well last year after getting his big contract. and the team has no legitimate depth behind those two; 5) they currently don't have a legitimate starting safety on their roster; 6) the team as a whole lacks depth; right now, it can ill afford an injury to one of its penciled-in starters. very, very thin.

and don't forget: your starting QB is either going to be a rookie or kent graham. i'm sorry, they're a five win team at best.

hate to be the pessimist (or, realistic, i guess), but i'd hate to see everyone get their hopes up and then wind up getting upset when the team "disappoints." we need to stay realistic. they'll be a very good expansion team, but that's it.

8. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Even if they lose all their games,save one,I won't be disappointed...as long as it's against the titans :D

Seriously though 4 or 5 games would be overachieving.
    I'll just be happy to see them on the field.

9. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

The problem facing the Texans, is that they (according to the Chronicle) only have about $10 million above the cap & have set aside $7 million for the draft. They still have to add depth to the team. Now, if Trotter would accept something along the lines of a 5-6 year deal with a base salary of $150,000 & a signing bonus of about $4-5 million, it might work. I'm sure the Texans will look at all the angles.

The other issue, is that Minnesota has more available cap space than the Texans. However, they did just sign Crockett.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/fb/nfl/1347065

10. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

That would be a horrible deal for Trotter.

He would be making less than 1 mill/year.

11. Hey Now!

initially, trotter was seeking $6M/year. the texans will certainly investigate, but i doubt they'll be able to get him. he'll likely head back to philadelphia.

12. rezdawg

5 wins? C'mon now. The Panthers won 7 games their first season with half the talent the Texans have.

13. Hottoddie

Are you sure? From the sound of this article, it looks like there may be some burned bridges between them. It even hints that some of the players are glad to see him gone.

As for his asking price, the free agent money is drying up fast & he might not get what he originally wanted. He's also competing with Kevin Hardy for the available free agent dollars. I'd say that, if the Texans want him, they've got a better than even shot at getting him.

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/3010749.htm

Birds show Trotter locker-room door

Linebacker an unrestricted free agent
    By LES BOWEN
    bowenl@phillynews.com

For more than six weeks, ever since they stuck the "franchise" tag on Jeremiah Trotter, the Eagles insisted their locker room wouldn't be distracted by a disgruntled defensive leader.
    Yesterday, they made sure of that, by removing the tag and making Trotter an unrestricted free agent - in effect, releasing their Pro Bowl middle linebacker, who last season was voted the defensive MVP by his teammates.

The move was a surprise, but not a total shock. The Eagles and Trotter have seemed headed for divorce ever since late last season, when it became apparent they were not going to be able to agree on a long-term contract.

Fans will be dismayed that the team got nothing for a player who led the Birds' defense in tackles the past three seasons. In making this move, the Eagles acknowledged they couldn't manage a trade for Trotter with teams that no doubt figured they would then have to give the linebacker the long-term, $6 million-a-year-or-so deal he was seeking.

In fact, Eagles president Joe Banner said the team actively sought a trade, but "didn't get a nibble," even when the Eagles called teams they thought might be interested.

The bottom line, from the Eagles' perspective, was that despite Trotter's explosive ball pursuit, the team's brass didn't feel he was worth the Ray Lewis-level money he wanted. When Trotter expressed displeasure over the "franchise" designation, then didn't immediately sign the one-year tender that would have guaranteed him the average of the top five players at the position (about $5.5 million) this season, concern grew in the offices that overlook the Eagles' practice field.

"After reviewing Jeremiah's situation," coach Andy Reid said in a statement, "I felt that it was in the best interest of Jeremiah and the team that we withdraw the franchise tag, letting him become a free agent to explore other options where he'll be happier."

A series of Eagles player-personnel meetings this week in preparation for the April 20-21 NFL draft produced a consensus that the situation needed to be clarified. The best way to clarify it was to let Trotter go elsewhere.

"Everybody kind of needed to know where we were headed," Banner said last night. "We wanted to know where we stood at the middle linebacker position. We were approaching two months since the tender and he still wasn't happy, still hadn't signed it."

Reid spoke to key veterans before the decision was announced, hoping to defuse negative reaction. Earlier this week, quarterback Donovan McNabb said the Trotter situation and the apparent disaffection of running back Duce Staley were issues between only those players and management.

"It's a business," McNabb said then. "We all know that."

Barry Gardner, a second-round pick in 1999, now becomes the heir apparent, but Reid also is high on free-agent signee Shawn Barber, formerly of the Redskins. Barber is an inside linebacker who can move into the middle, particularly on third down. The Eagles think he is stronger than Trotter at pass coverage.

Obviously, the Eagles still might strengthen themselves in the middle through free agency or the draft. They get back the $5.5 million or so that Trotter would have counted toward the salary cap, and they said they are free to again use the "franchise" designation whenever they wish. If the Eagles' losses in free agency are deemed greater than their gains, they could get a compensatory draft choice next year.

Banner informed Trotter's agent, Jimmy Sexton, of the Eagles' decision by phone. Neither Sexton nor Trotter returned calls from the Daily News seeking comment. But Sexton told Comcast SportsNet last night that throwing Trotter back on the market more than a month into free agency, after many teams have made key decisions, was "an underhanded move."

Sexton said he and Banner this week discussed Trotter signing the one-year "franchise" tender. Sexton wanted an assurance that the Eagles would not then designate Trotter their franchise player again next winter, dooming him to work on a one-year deal for the third consecutive season, without the lucrative signing bonus that is the focal point of most NFL long-term deals.

Banner and Reid saw this request as "further evidence that [Trotter] couldn't wait to get out of here," Banner said.

Sexton, not surprisingly, had a different read: The Eagles withdrew the designation because "they knew we were on the verge of accepting it and they didn't want the player on their team," Sexton said.

Trotter, 25, was drafted in the third round in 1998 from Stephen F. Austin State. He became a starter the next year and has been selected for the Pro Bowl the past two seasons.

Trotter made a lot of big plays and his roaming, hard-hitting style was popular with fans. Last season, his most memorable moment might have been his pursuit of Giants quarterback Kerry Collins. Trotter slapped the ball out of Collins' hand, forcing a last-drive fumble that sealed the Birds' 10-9 victory, their first against the Giants in 10 games.

Despite Trotter's 164 tackles last season, Reid is known to believe that the other linebackers and cornerbacks are the key players in his team's defensive scheme - not the middle linebacker. *

14. Hey Now!

you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you insist on comparing this team to the panthers -- carolina remains the exception. prior to 1995, no expansion team had ever won more than three games it's first year; jacksonville won four, cleveland two.

the texans have a lot of question marks. five wins would be a tremendous first season, especially if carr starts all 16 games. five wins, some competitive losses... anything more than that is simply unrealistic.

no. but philadelphia remains, i think, the team that can offer him the most money. i think that's why philadelphia did this -- it's late and money is drying up -- he's gonna have a hard time finding a team that can pay him what he wants, so why not give him what he wants and see if maybe he won't come crawling back, giving you the upper hand.

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with Sexton completely, here. I'm actually a little bit shocked that they're allowed to do this in the middle of the free agency period. The intent of the franchise tag, from what I understand, was to allow teams to retain a limited bit of salary control over the big money players while still keeping the players from getting the full enima treatment. I can't say that doing this accomplishes that. I hope that they're not allowed to reuse that franchise tag this offseason.

Honestly, as proud as Trottier is and as strained as his relationship with the Eagles has been, I could see him possibly signing for less somewhere else just to keep the Eagles from profiting from this move.

17. rezdawg

Ric,

You are stating that other than the panthers, no other expansion team has won 5 games. This is true, but in years past, salary cap was never an issue. Teams literally put their crap on the expansion list. This year, it is obviously quite different. Im sure you know about the level of talent in the previous expansion drafts. Lets take a look at carolina's top 5 picks:
    1. Rod Smith - CB
    2. Harry Boatswain - T
    3. Kurt Haws - TE
    4. Tyrone Rogers - DE
    5. Mark Thomas - DE

Get the picture? This team won 7 games, and you are saying 5 games for the Texans is a stretch?

18. Hey Now!

imo, you're being hopelessly naive. care to address the numerous shortcomings i mentioned specifically relating to the 2002 team?

it's a team with some talent, no question, but no quality depth on either side of the ball (which is what separates the haves from the have nots in today's nfl).

offensively, they have no playmakers; a big, fat, potentially problematic question mark at LT; they have no TEs and either a rookie or kent graham starting at QB, neither of which figures to be too terribly favorable. and, oh yeah, their field goal kicker missed more FGs last year than anyone else in the league.

on defense, their line lack three legitimate starters when they'll need at least five guys who can play in order for capers and fangio's scheme to be effective; wong was a lost cause trying to play OLB in minnesota, which is where the team plans to move him; their LB corps as whole is 3/5 completed, at best; they have no worthy starting safeties, no depth at CB with two starters who are good but come with question marks and really large salaries...

sorry, i'm finding it hard to find a ton of positives, let alone a team good enough to match carolina's 7 wins. they also have a pretty difficult schedule.

that's not to say they're on the wrong track, because, obviously, this team is going to be good sooner rather than later. but to expect anything more than five wins is unrealistic. five wins and some competitive losses. for an expansion team, that would be a tremendous first season.

19. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I actually agree with you.... good editorial on this on CNNSI:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/don_banks/news/2002/04/05/banks_insider/

<font face="arial" size="4"><b>Rough game of tag</b></font>
    <b>Eagles have Trotter between a rock and a hard place</b>

<I>The Eagles' release of Jeremiah Trotter on Friday afternoon came as such a surprising twist that we don't know much yet about his immediate future in the NFL.

But this much already is clear: The two-time Pro Bowl middle linebacker probably has a strong grievance claim to file against Philadelphia if he so desires.

Trotter's case? Basically that the Eagles subverted the intended use of the franchise-player designation, slapping the label on him in February to keep him out of the free-agent market, then removing it and dumping him in April after his marketability has all but dried up.

Philadelphia's move may not have been intended as retribution, in light of the contractual squabbling that the two sides have engaged in this offseason, but perceptions have a power all their own. And in this case, the early perception is that Trotter has been wronged.

Remember, the franchise tag was introduced to reward the game's best players with contracts befitting their status, while also allowing teams to virtually block one their star players from leaving via free agency. It was supposed to be a win-win.

Only this time, Trotter seems like the biggest loser.

Trotter's agent, Jimmy Sexton, declined comment on his client's options on Friday. But it doesn't take a degree in reading between the lines to see that Trotter's case may have legs when it comes to the Eagles' handling of the franchise tag.

Just hours before the Eagles faxed a letter to Sexton on Friday, informing him that they were removing the franchise tag and making Trotter a free agent, two more teams agreed to terms with high-profile linebackers. The Steelers signed former New York Jet James Farrior, and Cleveland snapped up ex-Steeler Earl Holmes.

How different might either team's decision been -- especially the Browns, who have eagerly sought a middle linebacker -- had they known Trotter was about to become a free agent? Before free agency began, Trotter was projected as the most coveted linebacker in the market. The Eagles knew that, that's why they slapped their vacant franchise tag on their defensive MVP, guaranteeing him a salary equal to the average of the top five players at his position.

That meant Trotter had at least one season at $5.515 million coming his way, with the chance to negotiate a long-term deal with Philadelphia in the meantime. But those negotiations went nowhere, with the Eagles believing that Trotter was significantly over-pricing himself and imminently replaceable. For his part, Trotter reportedly made noise about not wanting to play in Philadelphia past this season.

The Eagles made it known recently that Trotter could be had in trade, for perhaps as little in return as a third-round pick. But trades are a rarity in the NFL, mostly for cap reasons, and significant talks never materialized.

Trotter's side contends that the fourth-year veteran already had accepted his franchise designation for 2002, and had put behind him any lingering animosity over his contract. He sought assurances that the Eagles wouldn't franchise him again next season, but disputes that he was a malcontent agitating for an end to his Philadelphia tenure.

But the end came nonetheless. So now what for Trotter, who at 25 already has two Pro Bowl starts and three seasons of leading his team in tackles?

The most logical destination for him is Green Bay, which has a crying need for a middle linebacker to replace the departed Bernardo Harris. The Packers were the one team that was at least investigating a trade for Trotter, with head coach/general manager Mike Sherman discussing the move with his Eagles counterpart, Andy Reid, a friend and fellow ex-Packers assistant.

Green Bay doesn't have much cap room to work with after landing its big free-agent catch of the offseason -- former Saints defensive end Joe Johnson -- but the Packers have an open mind and might get creative in order to secure Trotter. Green Bay is expected to free up some sizable cap room in June by either releasing veteran receiver Antonio Freeman or restructuring his contract. It's possible, given the lateness of the date in terms of free agency, that Trotter might have to wait until June to get the deal he desires in Green Bay.

<B>The other most plausible option is Houston. The Texans are getting a little tight under the cap themselves, given the necessary depth of their rookie salary pool, but general manager Charley Casserly originally intended to pursue Trotter in free agency. That changed when the Eagles applied the franchise tag. But the chance to sign a player of Trotter's talent without giving up compensation to Philadelphia may be too appealing to turn down.</B>

Wherever he lands, Trotter may not be ready to put Philadelphia completely in his rear-view mirror. From franchised to disenfranchised. The battle between Trotter and the Eagles may still loom.</I>

<font face="arial" size="1">Don Banks covers pro football for CNNSI.com.</font>

But then I remember that agent Jimmy Sexton is the one who profited from the Pippen-Rockets contract, and I think, "to hell with him".

20. Hottoddie

Here's a selling point that Green Bay doesn't have. We play Philly next year & GB doesn't. Let's sell him on the revenge variable.;)