1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trotter Rumor

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by World B Free, Apr 17, 2002.

1. World B Free

World B Free Member

this is just a rumor, but .............

I have a friend who used to play in the NFL and now does some work with the Texans.............

he told me yesterday that he helped Trotter find a house here in town and that a deal was already done between the Texans and Trotter.............also that an un=named linebacker from Carolina was coming to the Texans to play under Capers..........

I hope this is true, I would love to have inside info on the Texans so that everyone here would love me, hahahahahahha

GO TEXANS

2. Old School

Old School Member

He ain't coming here unless he drops his asking price by a very big amount.

os

3. milo

milo Member

It looks like the Redskins are going to get him...and people would have heard if he was looking for a house in Houston and already got a "secret" contract from Texans. I call bullsh*t to your rumor!

I also hope your right
    :)

4. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

I doubt the Redskins will get him b/c if money is an issue, we have more of it than they do, unless they just give an outrageous signing bonus. Minnesota has the most cap space available though.

The rumor thing is interesting since I have heard that some players are going to restucture their deals to make them more cap friendly. We could end up after that is done w/ a bit more cap space to sign Mr. Trotter, I just hope he isn't asking too much.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

rocketteen -- we have more money, as long as the Redskins don't defer cap money to later years for certain players who are willing to restructure their deals...what I've heard is that is exactly what the Skins are doing in an effort to get Trotter.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Thx for the passing along the rumor. I've never known you to pass along B.S.

7. Buck Turgidson

NOBODY is going to give him $6M a year. He'll realize this soon enough, if he (& his agent) haven't already. He is a very good ILB, but he's not Ray Lewis, I can't see anyone giving him more than $3M per.

8. milo

milo Member

I would take him and even over pay slightly for him. Our defense would be much improved with him here.

milo

If a person requires artificial resperation, and you are of the same sex as that person, and no one of the opposite sex is around to preform the procedure, you are gay.

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

you mean besides the eagles, who offered him $5+M?

10. Buck Turgidson

Right, I should have been clearer. I excluded them 'cause it sounds like all the bridges have been proverbially burned there.

11. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Have the Texans bumped up their offer? By the way, Minnesota has stated that they are not interested in Trotter, at his asking price.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A62635-2002Apr16.html

Redskins Not Alone In Wooing Trotter

By Mark Maske
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Wednesday, April 17, 2002; Page D08

A day after they were unable to complete a contract agreement with free agent Jeremiah Trotter before he finished a visit to Redskins Park, the Washington Redskins found themselves negotiating against the Houston Texans for the Pro Bowl middle linebacker.

The Minnesota Vikings also entered the bidding yesterday, and Trotter had planned to visit the Green Bay Packers late this week. But the Redskins and Texans appeared to be the front-runners, and Trotter seemed prepared to cancel his visit to Green Bay if either offered him a contract he deemed acceptable. According to NFL sources, Trotter likely will sign a five- to seven-year contract with a signing bonus of $5 million to $7 million.

The Redskins nearly signed Trotter, 25, on Monday, sources said. Trotter met with defensive coordinator Marvin Lewis on Monday after dining with Redskins owner Daniel Snyder on Sunday. Trotter's agent, Jimmy Sexton, also was at Redskins Park on Monday and, according to sources, discussed contract terms with Joe Mendes, the Redskins' vice president of football operations.

Trotter visited Houston last week and the Texans remained in the bidding yesterday, sources said. The Redskins seemed wary of the Texans' ability to offer Trotter a more lucrative deal because Houston has more salary cap space.

The Redskins would like to play Trotter between their two Pro Bowl outside linebackers, LaVar Arrington and free agent addition Jessie Armstead. But they have taken a deliberate negotiating approach this offseason, looking for bargains in a thin free agent market, and that continued Monday in the deliberations with Trotter.

The Redskins likely will clear salary cap room later in the offseason by negotiating a new contract with tailback Stephen Davis and reworking the deals of defensive ends Marco Coleman and Bruce Smith. Sources have said that the Redskins would like to retain Coleman if he agrees to renegotiate his contract, but would release him in June if he refuses.

Trotter, a two-time Pro Bowl selection in Philadelphia, would have earned $5.5 million next season as the Eagles' franchise player. The Eagles gave him that designation in February to limit his mobility on the free agent market. But the club removed the tag 12 days ago after the relationship between the two sides deteriorated, and that made Trotter an unrestricted free agent.

The Redskins have Kevin Mitchell to start at middle linebacker if they don't sign Trotter, and may have more pressing needs at other positions.

"I think he's a bonus," Lewis said yesterday. "We could line up and play with the guys we have now."

The Redskins, like other NFL teams, have put most of their free agent deliberations on hold while they prepare for this weekend's college draft. They have negotiated with wide receiver Michael Westbrook and have expressed interest in free agent wideout Willie Jackson.

12. World B Free

World B Free Member

13. Samurai Jack

Samurai Jack Contributing Member

How could your friend not know who he is talking about ????

Let me see.... Trotter , Posey ...... where's the confusion ? :confused:

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

world b. -- email me, brutha: ric@houstonprofootball.com -- i promise to make ya a star!

15. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Uhh, I am not sure what you are talking about. World B. Free stated that his friend heard that the Texans were going to sign Trotter, and that they would also sign a player that played at Carolina. Posey is the player from Carolina, so that lends more credibility to WBF's source.

16. milo

milo Member

Good God! Your rumor seems to be right on so far! I take back my earlier statement;)

I hope Trotter is next!

milo

If a person requires artificial resperation, and you are of the same sex as that person, and no one of the opposite sex is around to preform the procedure, you are gay.

17. PhiSlammaJamma

Can't really flame ya. 50% is pretty darn good. Way to go.

18. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

With the rumor that World B Free reported in mind, does this article sound like Trotter & his agent are just stalling? When can the Texans restructure Boselli's & any other's contracts? Maybe, the rumor is true & they're just waiting on that to happen.

http://sports.excite.com/news/04192002/v9976.html

Redskins talk to Trotter as draft looms

Email this Story

Apr 19, 2002 3:06 PM (EDT)

By JOSEPH WHITE

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Washington Redskins spent Friday trying to close a deal with two-time Pro Bowl linebacker Jeremiah Trotter.

The Redskins have been talking to Trotter for nearly a week, according to a source familiar with the negotiations, according to a source familiar with the negotiations who requested anonymity. Trotter met with team officials Sunday and Monday and his agent, Jimmy Sexton, also has been listening to offers from Houston and Green Bay.

If he joins the Redskins, Trotter would join LaVar Arrington and new signing Jessie Armstead to form a big-name linebacker corps. All three went to the Pro Bowl last season.

During his visit, Trotter also said he'd like to play for the Redskins because he'd get a chance to face Philadelphia twice every season in the NFC East. Trotter is unhappy with the Eagles for removing his franchise player designation earlier this month, a move that made him a free agent.

Then again, Trotter said during his visit to Houston that the Texans would be his top choice because he's a native of the state.

During five days of talks, Trotter and the Redskins have yet to pin down the length of the contract - five, six or seven years - or the amount of the signing bonus - somewhere between $5 million and $7 million.

The Redskins have little room under the salary cap, so they would probably have to cut a player or restructure existing contracts if they sign Trotter. Running back Stephen Davis and defensive end Marco Coleman are likely candidates for contract restructuring.

The Redskins have already spent big on defense, signing Armstead and defensive lineman Renaldo Wynn. They still have several needs on offense, particularly at guard, which they are likely to address during the draft.

19. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

20. red

red Contributing Member

world b free....you liar...