1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trotter in Houston ???

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by World B Free, Apr 9, 2002.

1. World B Free

World B Free Member

2. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Let's hope they can pull it off. They also signed some depth at right guard & an injury prone tight end.

http://sports.excite.com/news/04092002/v0260.html

Texans sign guard, tight end

Email this Story

Apr 9, 2002 5:47 PM (EDT)

HOUSTON (AP) - The Houston Texans signed restricted free agents Demingo Graham and Kaseem Sinceno on Tuesday.
    Terms of the contracts were not immediately disclosed.

Graham, a five-year veteran, started 16 games at right guard for the San Diego Chargers last season. He signing with the Chargers as an undrafted free agent in 1998.

Sinceno, a tight end, spent the 2001 season on injured reserve with the Chicago Bears. He started 11 games in 2000 and had 23 catches for 206 yards.

3. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

The team that they are putting together is incredible. Let's hope they don't put to much pressure on themselves and crumble.

Trotter would be an awesome pickup, they would have one of the top 5 linebacking groups.

4. Dave Jamerson

Dave Jamerson Member

top 5 is selling us short...i think we would have the best linebacking corps in the league if we get trotter...then we can adress the safety situation in the 2nd or 3rd round in the draft!

5. Samurai Jack

Samurai Jack Contributing Member

If the Texans some'how figure out a way to get this
    deal done and sign Troter, I swear I'll piss my pants !

:eek: :D

6. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

I still say the Bears LB core is #1 in the league.

Urlacher, Holdman, Colvin.

Baltimore has slipped with the loss of Sharper. The Texans are probably top 3.

7. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Texans only have about $10 mil left and $7 mil goes to drafted players. It will be hard, but if they can pull this off it would be nice.

8. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Green Bay signed some other linebacker today... cap dollars going, going, gone?

9. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I would love to see Trotter in Houston, but I with the limited cap space available I dont see it happeneing. Trotter wants to get paid now and I feel he will go with the team that can give him the money he feels he deserves. I hope I am wrong

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Rockss -- you're right...but who can pay him now??? everyone has spent their money in free agency now. The only teams I'm hearing he's visiting are Houston and Green Bay. Houston will has $10 million under the cap...Green Bay has just over $1 million under the cap....so what are his options.

He said in today's Chronicle that the door to Philly is now shut.

11. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Who else is in the game? I've only heard mention of GB and Houston.

12. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Max-I hadnt heard that he finally shut the door on Philly so that is good news. This could be an interesting turn of events :)

If we could land Trotter the Texans would have one heck of a defensivel core for the 3-4 scheme. I will try not to get my hopes up but from what other free agents have said about the facilities and the front office personnel Houston is a place where players would like to come so maybe we do have a shot........keepin my fingers crossed

;)

13. Buck Turgidson

From Houston's Leading Information Source:

"I think that door is closed," Trotter said Wednesday. "That chapter of my life is closed. I'm looking forward to moving on and starting a new chapter. (The Eagles), I guess, felt they wanted to move in another direction, which is fine. I had fun while I was there, and I learned a lot."

Asked if he could see any scenario that would land him back in Philadelphia, Trotter said: "Not really. I think it's pretty obvious that those guys are moving in a different direction, I'm moving in a direction, and there are no hard feelings. We're going our separate ways, and it's hard to move on."

There's no way he'll get the $6M/year he wanted from anyone now. I'm not sure what the cap situation is in Tampa Bay (who he's visiting later, along w/ Green Bay), but they couldn't have much more $$$ than Houston.

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

probably not now, but teams will be able to make cuts after 6/1 that will allow them to free up cap space. trotter's agent has repeatedly said that nothing was imminent, meaning they might just be content to wait and see what happens with other teams.

trotter has nothing but time on his side. there's no need to sign anything right now.

15. Buck Turgidson

Regarding the June 1 cuts, how much $ do the Texans have invested in players (street FA's etc...) who're unlikely to make the team? I know it's way too early for a realistic answer, but what's your best guess as to how much cap room they'll free up?

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

zero. their roster's not even full yet, they have no one to cut. plus, all their big ticket players (boselli, glenn, coleman, lewis) were expansion picks and they have to be on your roster thru at least june 15.

the only way they could free up money is if they renegotiated some deals; which i thought they were going to do this with glenn, but they haven't thus far. maybe they can't touch his contract until a certain date -- i don't really know.

17. Buck Turgidson

Yep, forgot about that. Ditto on the renegotiated deals, I was expecting something to happen there as well, but I don't know the rules either.

18. RNuss02

RNuss02 Member

With all of our signing, and I hope we can get this one done for Trotter, where does this leave or cap situation for the next few years? Reports from the front office said we would just sign some intermediary players to get the franchise started, but from what I can see, our roster is filled with big names, which is great, for now. However, are these guys going to be with us for the long haul, or are we going to be another Jaguars or Ravens, and have to dump all of them b/c we got too greedy?

19. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

20. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just saw on the Southwest Sports report where Trotter said something along the lines of "You can't beat going home, baby. I want to be a Houston Texan."