1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Travel Advice) Kauai

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by sammy, Jun 19, 2007.

1. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Its going to be my first time going to Kauai and I don't want to miss anything i shouldn't be missing, I thought that you guys are probably the best to ask. Im staying in Poipu but im going to have a rental car so getting around the island won't be as bad. So far i know that i will be going sky diving, scuba, and doing those ziplines. What are some things i have to do/see? Places to eat?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

2. right1

right1 Member

Watch sunrise from Waimea canyon lookout, sunset at Polihale Beach, tour National Tropical Botanical Garden, buy fresh fruit from sunshine farmer's market, hike Na Pali coast trail, visit Kilahuea lighthouse, listen to great Hawaiian music early in the morn on Kauai public radio, swim at every beach you can and maybe try some pakalolo.

3. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Ahhhh...the most beautiful of the Hawaiian Islands. I'm a bit partial...my wife if from Kauai. I'll be going back in November for my sister-in-law's wedding. While you are there...definitely check out Kokee State Park. You'll take the road up the edge of the Grand Canyon of the Pacific. Absolutely incredible views. I would bring a picnic lunch and pull off at one of the lookout points and eat a little Spam musubi lunch.

While you're in Poipu, make sure to check out Spouting Horn. It's a neat blow hole created in the lava that acts like a geyser. You should have a decent shot at seeing sea turtles hanging around this area. There's a little market if you're inclined to do some shopping. Nothing fancy...almost like a flea market with a handful of shops.

Make sure to check out Koloa...which has some tourist shops and Lapperts ice cream. I'll be staying in this area in November...my wife's grandmother lives here.

If you travel up to the north side of the island, make sure you stop at Duane's Ono Charburger. They have some killer regular and teriyaki burgers. Duane's is located in Anahola on the right side of the road as you are travelling northward. There's also a ton of tourist shops in Kapaa, which is a little south of Anahola.

If you end up travelling around Lihue and want some of the local flavor, try Hamura's Siamin. I'm not a big noodle fan, but my wife and her relatives would die for this stuff. It's a hole-in-the-wall type place, but the locals absolutely love it.

Kauai is an awesome vacation destination. Just be prepared...it's a little slower there and traffic has become a serious problem when trying to navigate through Lihue and up the eastern side of the island. The western side is definitely the slower side and if you want a pretty secluded hangout, go as far west as the roads go to Polihale State Park...which is another great picnic location.

There's a ton of touristy-type stuff that I've never had a chance to do. I've always visited the island to visit in-laws...so family activities have always taken priority. Have a great time and enjoy the local culture. :)

4. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

:cool:

5. BullFan

BullFan Member

6. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

When I went there we kayaked up the river from the beginning of Raiders of the Lost Ark and saw the waterfall from Jurassic Park. That was a fun little excursion.

7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Thanks for all the advice. It looks like theres a lot to do. I am going to be staying at Kuhio shores. I heard i am right next to the spouting horn.