1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trailer Advice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by el gnomo, Feb 21, 2018.

1. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Hey guys - I'm planning on moving out of my parents' house soon bc they say I'm on the computer too much, but the only thing I can afford is a used trailer. Do you guys have any advice on how I can decorate it to feel more like a home? Also, I heard people can easily break in by cutting thru the screen door with a simple pair of scissors... any ideas on how to prevent this? Thanks in advance!

Yung-T likes this.
  2. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

My advice is, try not to keep all the furnitures on one side of the trailer. You DO NOT want it to tilt the entire trailer - you’re gonna need balance. Other than that, any origami’s will work well for decor.

3. Buck Turgidson

How many square feet to you *think* you need to live in?

Do you have a place to park it and rent with water/sewage/electric hookups? Or are you going to be free range and self contained?

If you can park it at a place with amenities and normal neighbors, you'll have to worry a ton less about security.

Need more info.

el gnomo likes this.
  4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Trailers arent safe. They fly in the air easily during hurricane season.

Yung-T and el gnomo like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

I seriously considered a trailer in law school and after I graduated and was single. Used ones are dirt cheap and being single I would have been happy with it. A friend had one and I learned a REALLY important lesson; it depends on where your trailer is located. His was in a quiet spot with retirees and over the road truck drivers who were single or didn’t have kids. It was great and he saved a lot of money. Later he had to relocate to a spot that had kids and some really bad guys. That park had drugs, prostitution and violence and was worse than the Hood. Had his trailer broken into several times.

6. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Just make sure you buy enough guns.

7. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Don't need a lot of space. Basically just enough to sleep and 'work from home' (aka post in the D&D all day).

I have a nice clearing in the middle of nowhere that I can park it. I can boil water and poop outside. Electric could be an issue... mostly concerned with internet, but I heard Boingo offers a good wireless hotspot.

I don't really get along with people so I'm going to be pretty isolated, but still worried about scissor burglars. Good thing I have lots of guns.

Wapzoe, Yung-T and kevC like this.
  8. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

From what I understand, trash disposal is a real issue. Something to think about, not something you can just ignore.

Yung-T and el gnomo like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

I've got an Airstream I'm getting ready to sell. It was fun, but I just don't need it anymore.

If you can find the right place, with the right park, with the right "Co-habitors", it can be a lot of fun. I built a 12 hook-up septic & electric place for the Winter Texans a couple of years ago, I've had no problems, but my typicals are older, calmer types. Everyone's on the lookout for meth heads.

Nook and el gnomo like this.
  10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Sounds like Bobbythekiddo has hijacked el gnomo's account.

o_O

Exiled and el gnomo like this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Uh, Ok. I'm not sure you know what you're getting into.

You need running water. You need a sh!tter. Buy lime. Lots. You'll have to dig holes and put your **** in them, then cover them with lime. And repeat. Every day. You'll have to put all of your scrap food and etc... in there, or burn it all, because if you don't you're just going to attract rats/varmints/bugs/etc....

You'll have to have a way to make fire, even when it's pouring down rain. You need a way to cook and keep food. If you have the money a composting toilet will work. Don't try and go all wild right at first. THIS IS HOW YOU GET ANTS.

el gnomo likes this.
  12. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Wot? I have to dig holes to **** in and cover them with lime? How deep does the hole have to be and why lime? How many poops does each hole take, given average to above-average sized turds? How many limes? When I'm done with a hole, do I just cover it up and leave it there? I should've considered all the repercussions before I told ma to **** off when the meatloaf wasn't ready on time.

13. Buck Turgidson

Apologies if I came across as condescending earlier.

If all you're really worried about is burglars....move somewhere else.

14. jbasket

jbasket Member

If you don't get a bidet you don't even trailer.

DudeWah likes this.
  15. Exiled

Exiled Member

The main reason you will find plenty of cheap trailers is that they rotten badly, if you have time ,find a trailer with good frame and build your tiny house on it

[​IMG]

16. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Even though this isn't a serious post, I'll chime in.

For electricity, you'll need hookups. How are you going to pull it? Some use propane to run the fridges and such, but you'd always be refilling. And is that hotspot going to even be where you are?

Best bet would be to find a cheap place with hook ups that has wifi.

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

[​IMG]

justtxyank and Exiled like this.
  18. Exiled

Exiled Member

By the time he finishes this tiny house, his parents will move in with him, ... family consolidation

Nook, justtxyank and No Worries like this.
  19. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

So you're not a fan of bobbing for Boingo hot spots?

20. jbasket

jbasket Member

Are they found in trailers?