1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trading Up

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dice7_11, Jun 22, 2000.

1. dice7_11

dice7_11 Member

What are the chances of the rockets trading up to a top 3 pick and picking up either Kenyon Martin, Stromile Swift, or Darius Miles?

In my opinion those 3 are the only 3 players in this draft that have a realistic chance of being the second superstar that this team needs.

I'm assuming that Francis, Cato, Anderson, and Mobley are untouchables.

That leaves us with Williams, Thomas, Drew, $4.5 mil. trade exception, #9, #38, and future draft picks owed to us by Detroit and Orlando.

Would that be enough for us to land a top 3 pick?

Also New Jersey is in desperate need of a Center if Jayson Williams retires so should we take the untouchable lable off of Cato for a chance to get a potential superstar or should we keep him?

2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow, I learned something new, our roster consists of 7 people.

Of other note, we also have picks in the years 02, 04, 06, 08, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20 and so forth available for trade.

What about Dermarr? I always thought guys who could play PG, were 6'9'', and jump 40 inches, as well as having a sweet 3 point shot were good to have?

To answer your first question....about the same 1.8% chance we had of getting the #1 pick to begin with.

------------------
    The more lefties on your team, the better.

3. dice7_11

dice7_11 Member

well those 7 seem to be the only players with only any trade value at all so that's why i put them and i would hesistate on trading any of our futrue first round draft picks because we don't know how bad this team might be.

4. dice7_11

dice7_11 Member

I don't think our chances are that bad NIKE. Rudy is not the type of guy to just stand still and I've heard a lot of reports about New Jersey and the Clippers looking to move down.

5. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

....and teams like Chicago and Orlando can dangle multiple picks.

------------------

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You would need an impossible scenario, like this one: In today's nbatalk.com, it is mentioned that the Nets would like multiple picks and a vet in exchange for the #1. Also, it appears that the Clips aren't working out anyone worthy of a Top 5 pick. Have they already worked out a trade scenario, or will they just grab Fizer?
    Nets get: Walt Williams, #3, #9.
    Clips get: Keith Van Horn.
    Rocks get: #1.
    Throw in future picks and whomever is needed, bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, let simmer...
    Nets want to unload payroll. Can take Przbilla and, say, Moiso with the picks. Can re-sign Gill. Now has full roster.
    Clippers get legitimate player. (I think Van Horn has LA ties, so he might not b****, knowing he'll play alongside Odom).
    Rockets grab Swift or Martin or Miles.
    As I say, not much chance. Got to remember the BYC Van Horn (Walt's not too far off). And Donald Sterling will have to pay out for Van Horn. And Rocks will still need to fill either 3 slot or 4 slot, depending on who the team drafts.
    Deign to respond to my ludicrous scenario, those who dare. But only something like this will do the trick for us to move up. Chicago doesn't need to move up; Orlando might try.

------------------

7. dice7_11

dice7_11 Member

that trade sounds pretty reasonable to me.

8. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

I wouldn't trade KT or the Wizard.

------------------
    I AM SPARTACUS

9. Miggidy Markell

I would trade KT but not Wizard....he's fit in well with us.

------------------
    I'm tha hip hop attracta, rapper slash acta, right back at cha!

10. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

getting the #1 pick for Walt and #9 would be simply murder.

------------------

11. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Give me some Glass Eaters, what ever happens lets end up with Moiso and Forston and loose one back street boy.

------------------
    Mango is the Smeg of Bizarro World

12. dice7_11

dice7_11 Member

The Nets would probably be the only one that would stall this trade. giving up #1 and Keith Van Horn and only getting #3, #9 and w.williams. They probably would be asking for cato instead of w.williams. How about

Nets get: #3,#9,and cato

Clippers get: k.van horn

Rockets get: #1

do you still do it?

13. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I'm confused.

Lets just forget about the draft.

lET wALT LEAD THE TEAM TO GREATNESS.

okay.

------------------
    No signature for you!

14. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Chuckle. I have mentioned and thought of that word .... murder .... several times when Walt Williams face came to mind!!! Thank you for allowing me to imagine it, yet another time. [​IMG]

------------------

15. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

LoL!!!!

------------------

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Hey, people, relax. I think I was trying to show why we're such a long-shot for the top 3 slots.
    I remember some well-respected posters here actually seriously thinking we could get Duncan this year.
    Now that Kenyon Martin has measured at nearly 6'9", what does the Nets organization do? Keep two superstar power forwards? Draft Miles, a high school small forward whose agent will demand the max in a couple years, further bloating the Nets' horrendous salary cap?
    Thorn said in the Times that he's heard lots of interesting scenarios for that pick but won't make up his mind until just before the draft (of course).
    They wanted Walt last year, before he even started playing well for us. The Clips wanted Bryce Drew. Maybe if LAC gave the #18 to the Nets as well, taking Drew as consolation.
    Injuries have kicked the Nets hard; no one wants to play for the Clippers: both teams need to bolster their rosters.
    Anyway, we'll probably just grab Moiso with the 9. But the silence has been deafening: one can begin hallucinating in the downtime...

------------------

17. dice7_11

dice7_11 Member

It's really not that bad of a trade for all three teams.

The Nets get an up and coming center in Cato. With #3 they can get a potential superstar in Miles and #9 can get a power forward to replace Van Horn like Moiso. Marbury gets to team up with not 1 but 2 "Next Kevin Garnetts".

Clippers don't want to take the chance at picking another lottery bust so they get a proven player in Keith Van Horn.

Rockets gets Swift or Kenyon Martin.

18. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Oeilpere, mon frere,
    Would they give you any internet time in Huntsville? Or worse, George Dub might fry your arse. Murder? Pre-meditated? O.K., let's just trade him. What is your completely detached opinion of his trade value for a draft pick? #20..#30??

------------------