1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trading Lin is better for the Rockets and Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by catch22, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

Lin had great value before the season started
    The only question mark about him was his sample size, but the Rockets took that chance on him and now he has enough sample size for people to conclude he's not starting pg material

2. Nook

Nook Member

November 2012? Hmm....

"Our fans..... don't deserve Lin" How do you figure? He isn't treated any different than any other player that has been mildly disapointing and very inconsistent.

3. Roxs

Roxs Member

FACT

There are one NINE PGs to average 18/8 in the past 12 years:

Gary Payton
    Chris Paul
    Sephon Marbury
    Russell Westbrook
    Deron Williams
    Baron Davis
    Steve Nash
    Chauncey Billups
    Jason Kidd

18/8 is elite/border line hall of fame level.

Stop it with the unrealistic Lin expectations.

4. Nook

Nook Member

I said 18/8 as "all star" because there are some players that get less than 8 assists but score more, and a few that historically do not average 18 points a game, but have over 8 assists a game.

I do not think that Lin will ever be a passer like Nash, Kidd, Rondo and Paul that do not average 18 points a game or more.

I do not see Lin ever getting 20 points a game based on his inconsistency, but I also believe that if Lin is around 18 points a game, that means that his shooting has improved and he will be able to drive the lane for easy assists.

I do not like people that are overly ambitious concerning player performance, but I do not think that Lin becoming a solid 3 point shooter is THAT much a stretch.

5. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I don't think it's too much to ask Lin to be as good as Marbury. :grin:

6. Nook

Nook Member

I never said he would average 18/8 for his career.... I am talking about his peak season performance.... for example, Jrue Holiday is averaging 19/8 this season.

Perhaps it is unrealistic, I just look at his game and believe he would be far more productive if he is able to hit the 3. He is not a player that needs to improve in a number of areas and he plays on a team that has a quick pace, which means more assists and open looks.

7. pnr

pnr Member

If Lin averages 18/8, then he would and should be getting paid max money, not 8 mill per.

8. Arthurprescott2

Agreed on all points. Again, I wasn't quibbling. Just providing context.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Depends on when/if he does it....

Curry is almost at 22/7
    Holiday is at 19/9

Lin is under contract for two years after this season.

I will not argue with people that do not think that Lin is capable of 18/8, I just look at his game and see one area that if it improves will open up his game a great deal. I also believe that he has the ability to improve and will make the effort to do so.

If you had a crystal ball and told me that Lin will be 13/6 in 3 years I would not be surprised....

Just my observations.

10. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Not for one season. He'd have to do it on a consistant basis

11. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Lin is averaging 12/6 while shooting 27.6% from three (which is terrible considering they're wide open looks), and turning the ball over 3 times in 33.5 minutes.

Since 1985, over 200 players have managed to average 15/7.
    Since 2000, over 80 players have managed to average 15/7. Every single one of them shot better than Lin from three.

No one is saying Lin is not elite. His game has holes. Mainly his three point shooting.

#71 BEAT LA, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  12. M4-Nightvision

trade Lin for jimmer ferdette , he can really shoot the 3's. I think the kings will make that trade.

13. Karolik

Karolik Member

8 assists as a secondary ball handler is insane. 18 PPG is doable, but still extremely hard. Perhaps 15/7 is a more realistic option for his peak. That would probably be 20/10 in a Jrue Holiday role.

14. Nook

Nook Member

This...

It would have to be during a free agent season and teams would have to believe that he would keep it up. There is no way Lin will average 18/8 for his career.

However, I could see a situation like Lowry or Billups where Lin's jumper comes around and he has a few seasons of all star/near all star play... especially with the pace the Rockets will be playing.

15. zdrav

zdrav Member

The thing is Jeremy Lin could become Mike Conley in a couple of seasons. Are we in THAT big of a rush?

16. Nook

Nook Member

He is almost at 15/7 right now..... He gets 13 points and 6.5 assists without any post presence and on a team that has not played together and does not have all their weapons yet (no real three point shooters).

Remember, there will be more assists on the Rockets based on the pace we will be playing.

17. M4-Nightvision

who knows Lin might be a knicks again after 2 years when his contract is over. a few more years amare and melo contract is gone. maybe james dolan want lin back in ny.

18. lookabove

lookabove Contributing Member

Projecting Lin's ppg with better 3pt shooting and FT%

Lin's stats last 17 starting with the Knicks game (I think light bulb went on after that game).
    On FGA 11.6, FG 0.467, FT 0.717, 3p% 0.238, ppg 14.2 Assist 6.8

Not quite 15/7

Assumptions
    1) Hit 3pt 35.8% (NBA average)
    2) Hit 80 FT%
    3) FGA stay same at 11.6

He would average 15.9 pt

To get 18ppg
    1) Increase FGA from 11.6 to 13.1 per game
    2) Increase FTA from 3.5 to 3.9 per game
    3) shoot 3pt 35.8
    4) FT 80%

Fixing toe on line I think would get his average 3pt% above 30. Getting other 6% would mean a lot practice which I think could take 2 offseason.
    Of course maybe he alway be below average 3pt shooter.

I better PNR big not name Asik would be needed for him increase his assists output.

19. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

12.3 rounds down, not up to 13.
    6.3 is 6.3, not 6.5, quit lying.

Did the Knicks have a post scoring option during Linsanity?

The only other starting PG to shoot worse than Lin from three this season is Rondo. I would gladly take Rondo over Lin. He is 94th in three point shooting out of all guards in the NBA while only taking wide open looks.

20. kastuul

kastuul Member

LIN can improve, but he should not spend a month to visit China/Taiwan every summer.