1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trading Correa for a young pitcher with team control

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Senator, Jul 18, 2019.

?

Poll

1. Yes

30.1%
  2. No

69.9%
  1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Easier to bullshit about this stuff when he’s not contributing.

In the end, he’s more valuable to the Astros over the next two years, and increases their odds of winning, vs this mythical young pitcher that some team is trading for some reason.

Also, somebody tell me the big market team that’s obviously going to sign him. Yankees and Red Sox have pretty good young SS’s locked up for big money. There’s a better chance he goes to just another Colorado/Seattle/white Sox/Miami like team that stupidly gives him a huge contract. (Stupid in the sense that these teams can never afford them in the long run)

#21 Nick, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    lw17, awc713, everyday eddie and 3 others like this.
  2. vince

vince Member

Astros are in a prime position to field a major contender for the next 5-8 years.

I know it’s not my money, but they need to keep Cole, Correa, and Springer.... I know players have options to sign where the please, but this should not be because the Astros didn’t show good faith try and retain their services.

Keutchel had a figure in his head that was not correlated with the market. He’s an elite pitcher but with many question marks. I hate he’s not pitching for the Astros, but that a player who exercised his option to sign what he wanted for, and accepted the salary sacrifice to do so.

But Astros need to make every effort to keep Cole, Springer, and Correa even if it cost them massive money. They are going to win a lot if they do, plus they will be front and center in all MLB talk....

lw17 likes this.
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

His game winning hit in game 2 of the ALCS off Chapman was huge, given how close that game was and who was pitching.

everyday eddie likes this.
  4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Also his two HR game in 2015 game 4 gets easily forgotten (should have won that series... and he did make a crucial error).

His playoff hitting (including 2018) should not be overlooked.

5. vince

vince Member

I think the Astros would be better served to move Correa to 3rd base and Bregman to SS. Correa although an elite defensive SS is too big for the grind and pounding required of the position, hence a propensity for injury.

It’s my opinion, and I base it on my observation, I could be totally wrong in my assessment. Who do y’all think is better suited at SS, Bregman or Correa?

I know this time around Correa is injured because of some off the field, extracurricular activities whose explanations drew rolling eyes from everyone.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Bergman doesn’t have as good of an arm. He’s also a better 3B than he is a SS thus far.

Correa isn’t “breaking down” due to the position he plays. His defense and range actually improved this year.

lw17 and everyday eddie like this.
  7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

My potential offseason Correa trade ideas:

Mets for Noah Syndergaard and Amed Rosario

Atlanta for Ian Anderson, Kyle Muller, and Dansby Swanson

Rays for Matt Duffy, Shane Baz, and Matt Liberatore

Brewers for Brice Turang, Corey Ray, Travis Shaw, Trey Supak, and Jake Nottingham

Only the Mets deal nets a current ace, but I think each of those has a chance of improving Houston’s long term outlook without damaging the short term (much).

Gray_Jay likes this.
  8. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

How about the Mets? He starts there----provided he can stay on the field----now. Either De Grom (who I originally thought of, in a similar thread here a few days ago) or Syndergaard seem like they would help the Astros immensely. De Grom lets a struggling Mets team immediately duck a 27 million dollar a year obligation. Syndergaard's under team control as long as Correa.

It would easier to laugh away the thought of trading Correa if the guy could stay on the field for more than 110 games in a season. Plus, the story of his latest injury is laughable. What really happened? Is what really happened evidence of something pathological that will reach out and bite him again?

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

30% of you are morons.........

10. ThaShark316_28

Why are people so willing to "move on" from Correa?

It's not injuries. Guys have been hurt on this team.
    It's not poor play. Correa is quite good.
    It's not clutch hitting. He's been clutch in October since he's got here.

It's silly.

lw17 likes this.
  11. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

What will the bidding start at on Cole? 240 over 7? Do you see the Astros dropping 35+ million a year to retain him? When they already have the 8th highest payroll in the league at 161 million? I don't. Verlander makes 33 a year, and I'm surprised they did that. I can't see 2 pitchers on that payroll, making that kind of money. The Astros don't, so far as I know, have access to the kind of revenue streams the Yankees, Sox, and Dodgers do. I mean, I'd love to see Crane spend like that, but I don't think he can.

vince likes this.
  12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

1. Nobody wants to give him away. Some of us are willing to trade him for fair value if it improves Houston’s chances of winning another World Series.

2. Correa has been limited by injuries. From 2016-now, he has only been the 7th best SS and 29th best position player in the league (grouped in with guys like Jean Segura, Tommy Pham, Brian Dozier, and Javi Baez) by fWAR. So while he has been a star level player, he has not produced superstar level value.

3. His off the field behavior is annoying. Obviously the rib injury massage nonsense is the biggest example, but he has consistently shown he is not the sharpest tool in the shed and that he values his brand/image over his real value to the team.

I’m fine with keeping Correa; he’s a very good player and often a great player when he’s healthy. But if another team is willing to give the Astros more than Correa is worth, I’m ok with trading him too.

HTown2017Champs, Milos and cmlmel77 like this.
  13. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Don’t know many starting pitchers get a 7 year contract recently. My guess is Cole will get 6/180. But if there’s 1 team that willing to massively overpaid Cole, it’s the Angels. And they should since they’re paying ohtani on the cheap for a few years and Trout in his prime.

14. Major

Major Member

OK, so let's take this trade. If the Mets are contending, why do they trade away their aces? If they aren't, why do they want a Correa who'll leave in a few years instead of elite prospects? If we don't want a guy who'll only play 110 games, why would they? If we don't want someone who lies about injuries, why do they?

15. Major

Major Member

I always find this line of thinking amusing, given that he's the player on the team with the worst "brand". People complain that he values his brand too much, and then complain that he does things like Youtube videos with his fiancee that are likely to hurt his brand.

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The Mets may value Correa (an up the middle position player with 30 HR power and unlimited upside) more than Syndergaard (a disappointing pitcher who only appears every 5 games). The Astros may value Thor (a SP with legit ace potential) more than Correa (an oft-injured SS with an attitude problem). Different teams value players differently. It’s the only way any trades happen.

17. Major

Major Member

That's my point - this isn't the *Astros* valuing Correa so lowly. It's fans putting their own feelings about him into the Astros. I seriously doubt the Astros view him the way the fans rag on him, and therefore, its likely the Astros have far less interest in moving him. He's a part of the core, and no more likely go get moved than Springer/Bregman/etc.

18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

That YouTube video is exactly my point. That video was such a stupid idea. In no universe would the team or any smart person advise him to do that. So it is, at a minimum, evidence that he lacks decision making skills. But the fact that he went outside the org’s statement and appeared with his model fiancé also shows he is interested in protecting his personal image.

I agree that appearance hurt his brand, but that’s not what he thought the outcome would be, because he is a dumbass.

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Ok. But if we are only able to talk about things we know the Astros front office agrees with us on, this site would not exist. And I disagree that he’s not more likely to be traded than Springer or Bregman.

20. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Correa is at 100%, he is the last person you would want to move on this team. There are things that upset me about Correa but I also recognize the value he brings to this team. Let's also face it, none of us know whether or not he will re-up with the team. If he keeps getting injured each season, he will not get a massive contract.

Astros winning the World Series this year will have a huge impact on how much Crane is willing to spend going forward imo. I cant see him pushing a $200 million payroll but i can see him going $185 million.