1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Trading Block???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TIburon, Aug 3, 2000.

1. TIburon

TIburon Member

Who do you guys think are on the trading block? We all know Bryce Drew is, who else? I'd assume Matt Bullard, Carlos Rogers and possibly Jason Collier. Maybe Dan Langhi b/c his stock may have risen from the Rocky Mountain Revue. Untouchables are Francis, Norris, Anderson, Mobley, Williams, Thomas, Cato and Dream(the nucleus we will build on). Granted I could be wrong. Any other ideas of whom is on the block. I believe that whoever we end up getting should be a veteran b/c after this season we get younger and thats not always good. Getting a solid veteran would be great(with playoff experience). Just an opinion. What are your thoughts on this?

------------------

2. MManal

MManal Member

No way is Dan Langhi on the trading block.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Aside from that, even if you wanted to trade Collier or Langhi, you can't do it until December 15.

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi?

Draftsource.net

4. TraJ

TraJ Member

I think Williams needs to be on the block, if we could possibly get someone (or a couple of guys) who will be free agents next summer. I'm not going to hold my breath, however. I think Williams might possibly be able to play like he did toward the end of the year. If he does and we can't trade him, fine. But if we can get guys in the last year of their contract, I think we need to trade him even if he is doing well. I just don't see him as any kind of answer long term, and we could use the cap room next summer more than we could use Walt.

------------------

5. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Traj, I agree Walt takes up too much cap space, and isn't in our future plans.

------------------
    Kobe would be nothing without Shaq.

6. Loafinator

Loafinator Member

i don't understand why you guys want to trade walt so bad. we are not going to get anybody from free agency next year, because there really isn't anyone to get. i think dreams contract will do just fine in clearing up cap space.

------------------
    "When the mind is thinking, it is talking to itself."

.... Plato

7. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Loafinator, we all want to trade Walt so bad, because:
    a)he makes about 5 mil per, which is higher than his real value
    b)he is over 30, so he is not in the rebuilding plan, so why should we pay him 5 mil per
    c)he takes up a lot of cap space, since we already have Maloney, Maclean, and more players not even on our team that count against cap. You can never have too much cap room, it gives you more flexibility
    d)Walt is too streaky, he can be great but he can be bad. Since he doesn't fit into our future plans, no reason why we should put up with him

------------------
    "See they pick and pick and pick. Man they picked me to death."
    -Steve Francis on the Utah Jazz

8. haven

haven Member

Loafinator: I actually like Walt, but he isn't an integral part of the team, and he could limit Houston's efforts to acquire a top tier free agent next year.

BTW, Norris isn't part of our "core" ;P

------------------

9. Loafinator

Loafinator Member

sure he might not be part of our core. he might not be a superstar. but he is one of those players that every team needs to win games. it's like taking away you're third or fourth option. it's not like it's the worst thing in the world, but if we want to be competitive this year we need him here. if we got a good offer on the table, then by all means go ahead and trade him, but we shouldn't be shipping him off for cap room, because i think all that will do is make us repeat the same blunder that chicago made this year. this will be especially true if something happens with the arena, because then FA's won't want to come here due to the fact that they won't know where they'll be playing in two years.

------------------
    "When the mind is thinking, it is talking to itself."

.... Plato

10. University Blue

These are the players I would keep.

C Olajuwon
    PF Cato
    SF Langhi
    SG Anderson, Mobley, Drew
    PG Francis, Norris

Trade the rest to Detroit for Montross!

------------------
    Forget regrets or life is yours to miss.

11. TIburon

TIburon Member

Man you guys want to trade everybody. Walt, in my opinion, is a big part of this team's chemistry. He can do so many different things, shoot, pass and ballhandle well. The only problem I see is his defense. Is Matt Bullard any better? NO!!! Dan Langhi will get his chance to play. I'm still not sure what to think about Jason Collier. He didn't look to good at the Revue. But he didn't look that bad either. He's a toss up, he's not a center though, like Raef Lafrentz who is not a center either(should play PF). As a whole I don't want to be in the position every year drafting a young promising star instead of getting a veteran player, who has experience in the playoffs(Walt Williams). He may not have the rings but he's been there more than any other players other than Dream and possibly Shandon/Bullard. Give me Othella Harrington back for T-Mass and trade exception, and I'll be happy with this young team. Yeah I know that maybe steep but I think its better than nothing.

------------------

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm with Loafinator: Williams doesn't need trading.

a) What difference does his real value vis a vis his contract value make? The cap situation is another bullet, so that's not it. You object to people being overpaid in general? You're trying to protect Les' money?

b) He is older than the rest of the guys, true. But I don't think you can properly rebuild with only young guys. The team would be too immature and lost. It doesn't hurt to have a couple of guys to help steer the team who will later be replaced when the team comes of age. It will help a lot with the learning curve of the young guys.

c) The cap room he takes up this year is irrelevant. He will eat into our cap-room next year, but I doubt we'll have much if any anyway. I'm sure we'll use that trade exception before the off-season is over, so that room will be gone. Besides, there are like 3 FAs next year worth manipulating your cap for, and like 10 teams that will have room. I don't think you slash-and-burn your roster for a hope of a chance that you might somehow get Webber.

d) Williams started the season on a bad streak and then got good towards the end of the season -- much like Mobley and Anderson and, well, the entire team. I don't characterize that as streaky, that was just Walt and the rest of the players getting comfortable with the system and learning to play together.

As for who to trade and who not to: The following are untouchable, in my opinion: Francis, Olajuwon, Mobley, Anderson. And unfortunately, I have to agree with the majority opinion that we need to trade Drew. It's not that he's weighing us down or anything, it's just that we don't really have a place for him. Everyone else can be traded or kept and I won't much care. However, I am sure that our trade exception will be used to get a PF, so losing somebody is a given.
    ------------------
    Rockets Draft Obligations Summary

http://www.gaffordstudios.cjb.net/

[This message has been edited by JuanValdez (edited August 03, 2000).]

13. TB3

TB3 Member

We should trade Walt and the exception for a good frontcourt player. Perhaps pull off a sign and trade. We need to move Walt so Anderson and Mobley can get enough minutes to keep them happy. To accomplish this Francis, Anderson, and Mobley have to be on the floor at the same time. Also, Langhi needs to get his minutes.

The Rockets are telling reporters that Langhi was a "steal", so I interpret that as meaning Walt Williams in now expendable.

------------------
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent
    homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -- Jefferson's "Commonplace
    Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

14. jaworski2000

jaworski2000 Member

I'd rather trade air bullard and drew and keep walt williams. Walt has adjusted to the Rockets system and is already in his comfort zone and will contribute big time this coming season. Watch out, he will average 11/4.5/3 for this team.

------------------
    President of the Sir Charles Barkley Fan Club

15. TraJ

TraJ Member

I'm not a member of the "Walt Williams Haters Club," but if the right deal were to come along I think it might be wise to go ahead and deal him. If the right deal doesn't come along, I think he will doa good job this year -- hopefully picking up where he left off last year. I'm not a "trade Walt at any cost" person, but neither do I see him as untouchable.

------------------

16. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Everyone but Francis, Mobley, Collier, Langhi and Anderson are expendable or tradeable.

Unfortunately even Hakeem....NOOOOOOOOOO!!!

------------------
    "I've been licking this carpet for hours and I still don't feel like a lesbian!"

17. Thanos

Thanos Member

Bullard will retire in Houston, mark my words. He wont´be traded and even if we wanted to part with him (which i can assure you Rudy does NOT intended to do) there would be limited interst.

On the trading block:

Drew and Walt + Exception (i´ve heard a lot of teams are hot for this Exception guy [​IMG]).
    KT and ´LOS could be thrown in for the right front court presence.

C Hakeem/Cato/Collier
    PF TBA/KT/´LOS/
    SF TBA/Langhi/Anderson
    SG Anderson/Mobley
    PG Francis/Moochie

Ruben Patterson sounds like a nice idea for the SF spot, and he is on the trading block.

The PF situation is tougher to read. PJ would be perfect, but i don´t think it can be done.
    Maybe Jerome Williams.

The perfect player would be Brian Grant, but he is out of our reach.

------------------
    "Never underestimate the heart of a champion"

18. TraJ

TraJ Member

Could we get PJ in the pj's by somehow using the exception? His contract averages just a little over $5 million, but I don't know what the actual number will be this year. We trade the exception and a player or two to Charlotte for PJ, then Charlotte can turn around and use the exception to fill in their own holes. If they must, I suppose they could send the exception to LA for Rice, although the last thing I want is for LA to have the trade exception.

Just thinking out loud, although I don't think any of that has a chance of happening. If anything, I suspect there will just be a PJ for Rice trade.

OR bring back Otis!!! [​IMG]
    ------------------

[This message has been edited by TraJ (edited August 03, 2000).]

19. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Ruben Patterson is NOT on the trading block. Westphal loves the guy.

------------------
    "Your not a real member of CC.net unless you have 1000 posts"

20. JR

JR Contributing Member

can someone clarify the wizard's contract details for me? i thought his contract was up after this season and for that reason was valuable to keep for the coming year.

------------------