1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Watch: Top PG's on the Block (C.Ford, ESPN)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RedRowdy111, Feb 11, 2009.

1. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

( I personally think that point guard has to be our weakest position, so here is some top guys I think the Rockets could add to improve their roster. Some guys I think we should stay away from like Felton, Tinsley, etc. Some I think would be a good fit like Barbosa, A. Miller, and K. Hinrich.)

Top PGs on the block

Shopping For Point Guards
    Chad Ford breaks down five teams who are shopping for point guards at the deadline.

Raymond Felton, Bobcats
    Felton is a talented point guard, but he doesn't fit the pass-first mold that Larry Brown wants running his offense. With rookie D.J. Augustin looking like the point guard of the future in Charlotte, the chances Felton heads somewhere else are pretty high.

The Bobcats would like to get something for him before he hits restricted free agency this summer, so they've been shopping him since before the 2008 draft. They tried to swap Felton for T.J. Ford twice in June -- once with the Raptors and once with the Pacers. More recently, they almost had a deal completed with Dallas a few weeks ago, but Augustin's abdominal strain forced them to pull back. Now that Augustin is back in the starting lineup, the Bobcats could be ready to pull the trigger again.

Chance of trade: 55 percent

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Earl Watson, Thunder
    Watson may not be the most talented player on the list, but there are two big reasons he is coveted. First, his contract expires in the summer of 2010. Second, the Thunder aren't asking for much.

Oklahoma City has its point guard of the future, Russell Westbrook, and is primarily interested in getting below the salary cap. So an offer of an expiring contract or a young player who fills a need could get a deal done.

Chance of trade: 50 percent

Leandro Barbosa, Suns
    Barbosa has played an important role off the bench for the Suns for years, but the team is sputtering and now practically everyone appears to be on the table in Phoenix.

Barbosa's long contract and his diminished role on the team are telltale signs that he could be gone at the trade deadline. While Suns sources insist they'd like to keep him, he may be, next to Amare Stoudemire, their most movable asset. Barbosa is young and has value: He isn't the pure point guard that some teams covet, but his scoring ability, energy and reasonable contract make him a hot name. It appears the Suns would be willing to part with him in return for an expiring contract and a young player with a smaller contract.

Chance of trade: 50 percent

Mike Conley, Grizzlies
    Eighteen months after the draft, Conley still hasn't found his groove in Memphis. But new coach Lionel Hollins is starting to get through to him. Still, will it be enough motivation for the Grizzlies to keep him?

Conley is a good distributor and an excellent defender, but his shaky shooting has made him a liability. The Grizzlies would like to move O.J. Mayo to the point or at least get another guard who can stroke the basketball. They turned down the Blazers' offer of Travis Outlaw for Conley this past summer and have generally been looking for more. I'm not sure they'll be able to get it.

A rumored trade of Ramon Sessions and Joe Alexander for Conley never materialized, in part because Sessions is a better player right now. But long term, Conley still has a lot of value in the right system.

Chance of trade: 35 percent

Nate Robinson, Knicks
    It might surprise some to learn that Robinson is second only to rookie Danilo Gallinari in plus/minus for the Knicks at the moment. Watch a Knicks game and you'll see why. Robinson is well-suited for head coach Mike D'Antoni's up-tempo style and has played a critical role off the bench this season.

The problem for the Knicks is that Robinson hits restricted free agency this summer and the Knicks aren't inclined to pay him. They are trying to free up as much money as possible for the summer of 2010 and Robinson isn't worth risking that flexibility to lose out on a shot at LeBron and friends. If the Knicks can get a future first-round pick or use Robinson to sweeten an Eddy Curry package for an expiring contract, they'll have to consider dealing him.

Chance of trade: 30 percent

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jamaal Tinsley, Pacers
    There is no denying that Tinsley is on the block. The Pacers did not allow him to join the team during training camp and have been working with his agent, Raymond Brothers, to move him all season. According to all parties involved, Tinsley is totally healthy and in decent shape. Given his undeniable talent, that should have a number of teams seriously interested.

However, the issue is twofold. One is his contract: Tinsley still has two years and $14.7 million left on his deal after this season. Second is the combination of his injury history and off-court track record. In the past six seasons, he has started more than 43 games only once. And his well-publicized off-court issues have given a number of teams pause. Still, Tinsley could be the answer for teams -- such as Miami -- that are looking for help.

Chance of trade: 25 percent

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Andre Miller, Sixers
    Miller may be the most attractive player on the list for two reasons. One, he's a talented veteran who can immediately step in and contribute on a number of contenders. Two, he's in the last year of his contract, which means teams don't have to commit long-term.

With the Sixers hovering around .500 and not looking like the title contenders we thought they would be, it might be time for the Sixers to make a move for the future. While Miller won't bring them back an All-Star in return, he could get them a future pick or another player who could help them down the road.

It's not hard to see that the Sixers' future looks brighter with their youth, not their veterans. Miller might be the first to go, especially with Elton Brand out for the season.

Chance of trade: 20 percent

Monta Ellis, Warriors
    Ellis' infamous mo-ped injury got him in hot water with Golden State, which is still holding out the right to terminate his contract if he doesn't fully recover. That hasn't set well with Ellis' camp, which would jump at the opportunity to part ways.

A lot of teams will have interest in Ellis if the Warriors want to cut ties. The problem for him is that he's a base-year compensation player and will have to be part of a larger deal to be traded before the deadline.

Chance of trade: 15 percent

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baron Davis, Clippers After playing in all 82 games last season and securing a hefty contract from the Clippers, Davis has spent much of the season on the shelf due to tailbone and hamstring injuries.

I doubt Mike Dunleavy would hesitate to move him if he could. In fact, sources insist they've already offered him back to Golden State for Corey Maggette. On the right team -- a contender -- Davis obviously has a lot to offer. But who's picking up that extra four years and $53 million on his contract? In this economic environment, the Clippers will struggle to find takers.

Chance of trade: 10 percent

Kirk Hinrich, Bulls
    By most accounts, Hinrich should be higher on the list. The Bulls have their point guard of the future in Derrick Rose, and Hinrich has real value in the league. The problem is, I don't think John Paxson can pull the trigger because he's a Hinrich fan. And on a team that's loaded with youth, Hinrich is a rare veteran presence.

I think the Bulls will most likely hang on to Hinrich for the rest of the season. However, the chances he gets traded will go up this summer, especially if there's a new GM running the show in Chicago by then.

Chance of trade: 5 percent

Others to watch: Marcus Banks, Heat; Jordan Farmar, Lakers; Jarrett Jack, Pacers; Stephon Marbury, Knicks; Sergio Rodriguez, Blazers; Marcus Williams, Warriors.

Link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=TradeWatchPG-090210

2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

FYI that was already posted. But I would love to get Monta Ellis on our team.

Do it big Morey!

3. Shaud

Shaud Member

Man I would love to see Monta in a Rockets uniform but now way we get him.

4. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Battier for Felton.

Larry Brown would bite.

5. AggieDentist

AggieDentist Member

i have another PG deal for us to look at.

Tracy for Marbury. the Knicks are desperate - i repeat, DESPERATE - to trade Marbury away, and the fact that they'd be getting a former superstar back, a superstar whose contract expires by summer 2010, would be a perfect 'get' for them.

of course, it's perfect for us, b/c that means we have $21 M to play with this summer, meaning we're under the cap. if we do another trade (for Hinrich, etc.), so be it. but this seems like a no-brainer. if we don't play Marbury, it's the same as if we don't play Tracy.

6. King901

King901 Member

For too much money and his run and gun style wouldnt fit with us. Plus he isnt even fully recovered from his injury. Barbosa and Miller is the only two I'd take.

7. RedRowdy111

Oh, I never seen it. It was just posted on ESPN yesterday. Anyways, I still think there are guys on this list that would be a upgrade over Rafer. Personally, I think the best point guard for us on that list... is L. Barbosa. He can actually knock down the shot, unlike Rafer. I think he would be a great addition if we didnt have to pay too much for him. Thoughts on Barbosa?

8. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

We wouldn't have any ball-handlers. But, I guess with this offense it wouldn't matter as much.

Since, we don't have true pg, anyway... :rolleyes:

Our best ball-handler is possibly out for the season.

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Please why wouldn't he fit our style he is a good cutter can handle the ball, hence PG, and has a consistent jumper.

Stop it with that won't fit our style sh** everyone! Obviously our style isn't working now so something needs to be done to change it.

We need upgrades everywhere, except Yao, period!

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Felton is junk. I wouldn't mind making a play for Barbosa (both guard positions) or Earl Watson (note - poor scorer) if it's for the expendables like Head and Hayes.

Evan

11. RedRowdy111

If we gave up Artest's expiring contract, plus some thing else,for Barbosa, I wonder if that would help Phoenix with their financial issues. Maybe they could end up just keeping Amare, unless they really want him gone. Luther Head has an expiring deal that we could add to help them shave payroll.

12. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

actually baron passed up a bigger contract to go to LA...

13. RedRowdy111

After reviewing Barons contract, I think a cheaper PG like Barbosa or Andre Miller would be the better play. Miller is a free agent after this season, so he could basically be the same asset as Artest this summer. Man, the more I think of Barbosa, the more I think he could be benifical.

14. engr_alex

engr_alex Member

No Acie Law? I think he's the only realistic scenario we can have.

15. kinderegg

kinderegg Member

go for Watson, Conley, or Miller.

16. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

It's Miller time.

17. kkkpopov

kkkpopov Member

U mean that we have done with this season?

18. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

1. Ellis
    2. Miller
    3. Barbosa

Don't bother with the rest.

19. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Don't want any of them.

20. engr chris

engr chris Member

We need Juan Carlos Navarro