1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Trade Rumors]Jake Peavy

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Landlord Landry, Oct 4, 2008.

1. DPballer

DPballer Member

Uhh wut? I am saying the exact opposite. Pence's accuracy is what the concern is, I never said anything about arm strength. If his strength is his best asset, then he SHOULD stay in RF, not move to CF. He showed in 2007 that his accuracy is very bad in CF. I don't want to see him there ever again.

And accuracy weakness would be negated as a CF? That's the first time I've heard that.

In addition to accuracy, in MMP, we need elite range. Taveras and Bourn both have given us that. Not only with the unorthodox dimensions, but we have a sea lion in LF named Carlos Lee, that DEMANDS we have a CF with super range that can make up for Lee's lack of range. Bourn's range >>> Pence's range, and Bourn has a more accurate arm, and not significantly weaker than Pence's.

We went to the WS with Taveras as the CF. I think Bourn should get the start. Maybe I'm a homer but I'm still optimistic about his future. Maybe not a future Kenny Lofton, but maybe a poor man's Lofton. He should improve his swing and discipline with winter ball and coaching (pro coaches and his daddy).

I'd like to get another OF for depth like Rocco Baldelli, but I don't think it would happen.

2. DPballer

DPballer Member

Just to make sure we're on the same page, I'm only referring to his accuracy. I never said anything about his strength. In fact, I remember when he was in CF in 2007, his throws were going to the back stop. Strength is definitely not a problem!

3. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Pence moves well laterally in the field. It's the vertical reads that get him at times. The fact that he only had 1 error and led the league in outfield assists are good signs but he has plenty of room for improvement. Statistics definitely don't tell the whole story. He also has to learn how to work with the CFer and 2Bman. I worry for the guys playing around him on those tweeners.

4. DPballer

DPballer Member

[​IMG]

Hell, I worry about walls and sliding glass doors! :D

5. BrooksBall

Hahah, forgot about that. I wonder what adventures Hunter will get into this offseason. I'll be waiting for the breaking news. Somebody tell him to stay away from Backe, please.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And who did we play at CF in games 3-5 of the NLCS (when things were totally up in the air)... Chris Burke, who is a 2nd baseman.

I like Bourn too... and its great to have a guy who can get to the balls that Carlos won't ever come close to... but you also cannot have a guy in an everyday lineup with a sub .300 OBP. That is simply unacceptable... in fact, its worse than unacceptable. That's the sign of a guy who doesn't belong in the big leagues.

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Tejada (.314) and Pence (.318) are both acceptable. Good to know!!!

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I meant to say better arm, not stronger arm. My apologies. To me, both parts of Pence's arm -- accuracy and strength -- are average at best, and probably below average. That's why I'd like to hide him in center, where imo those attributes are less important than in right. And his range, while not Bourn/Taveras, is still good.

With that said, is Bourn a superior defender in CF to Pence? Yes, of course. He's better in every area, like you said, and if all things were equal, I'd prefer to have Bourn out there. But when we went to the WS with Taveras, we had a historically amazing rotation with Oswalt, Pettitte and Clemens all having career seasons and thus able to offset a black hole of a bat. With Oswalt, Wandy and Backe, I don't think we can.

If Bourn improves and/or the Astros still have significant reason to believe he can improve to the .350 OBP range, I'm fine with taking another shot. But if they're convinced that last season is who he is, I don't think having the best CF defense in the world would be worth it.

9. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We made Peavy's list!!!

In right scenario, Peavy could go...

10. Landlord Landry

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

:D

hunter and who else?? i just can't imagine we have enough to make it happ'n, cap'n.

12. Landlord Landry

Hunter Pence.
    Brandon Backe.
    Mark Loretta.
    JR Towles.

and uhhh, that stupid bunny that runs around MMP. Make it happen Wade!

13. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Pence
    Wandy
    Backe
    a case of Starbucks Frappuchino beverages
    a stick of Juicy Fruit to be named later.

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

yeah, the biggest stumbling block is that they don't have any elite pitching prospects in the upper levels. you don't trade peavy and not get back at least one certified prized pitcher.

but man, it'd be nice if they did have a few. i'd deal one along with pence for peavy in a nano-second. our only hope is peavy instructs the padres to work out a deal with houston exclusively.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Can't the local media just hype up one of our minor league guys with marginal plus stuff... and call him our best prospect... and say he's untouchable unless the right deal comes along? (and then we agree to trade not him, but the second best pitching prospect... who isn't all that good)

Worked for the Phillies when they refused to trade us Gavin Floyd, and then we end up getting Taylor Buchholz.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

LOL

Backe-little to no value
    Loretta- isn't he a free agent? There are no sign and trades in MLB
    Towles- I don't know how much value he has, but he's probably a sure thing to be included if the Padres like him. They need catching help.

So maybe a Pence-Towles base is the basic foundation, but what pitching are you sending back? They'd need more, and if he's open to other teams they will be able to trump that.

17. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I think he was being facetious.

18. UND3RxOATH

UND3RxOATH Member

I'll keep Pence. Anyone else can go. :)

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I can't believe this thread is at 4 pages. I'm going to start one on unicorns now and see if I can match it. Maybe even one on unicorns in the starting rotation next season.

20. BrooksBall

I think there is a better chance of having a unicorn pitch for the Astros than Jake Peavy.