1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[TRADE] Rockets Acquire Carl Landry (#31) PF Purdue

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Jun 28, 2007.

1. angryman

angryman Contributing Member

Thank you, this makes me feel better. At least, he knows our team and says the right thing.

2. Barkley

Barkley Member

Uff. That's power forward:) Thanks

3. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

So what happens when Landry wins the Landrys signature player of the game :confused:

4. CDogg

CDogg Rookie

the world will end.....

5. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Let's greet the new Rockets Carl Landry............

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I watched a lot of Landry. He is the whole inside for Purdue. He has to play against taller players at center spots on most nights as Purdue runs a 2 F three guard offense. He has good athletism and range up to 18 ft. He is not as good a rebounder as Chuck but a much he is a better offensive player. He will not be a primary scoring option in NBA but I think teams can not leave him open like they did with Chuck this year. I think he will help preventing people from clogging the lane with three players on Yao on the inside. Call him Chuck 2.0 if you will.

7. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I was actually hoping Landry fell to that 54 pick we gained yesterday, so I am glad that they picked up his rights.

Does this make Chuck expendable though? Obviously they can't talk about giving him a contract until Monday right... so do they think that Chuck 2.0 is good enough replacement for the Classic Chuck?

The comment by Dean Cooper at the very beginning of the interview on Rockets.com really bothered me (I haven't gotten through all of Clutch's video show yet so this you tube may be redundant). I don't know who he was talking to but they are talking about how to address a pick and he says something along the lines "Chuck is our guy to say no to"

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GPdwLJY-7QI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GPdwLJY-7QI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

8. Swami

Swami Member

This is the only half decent move that the Rockets made on draft day. Picking up the first pick in the second round when we originally didn't even have a 2nd round pick in a deep draft was a very good move.

It is time to pick up the phone and shop Rafer to Atlanta. Despite the fact that Atlanta just drafted AC Law at #11, Rafer is a better back-up point guard than any of the garbage they now have on their roster and he is proven if AC Law isn't ready on day one. Further, Atlanta is now over-loaded with power forwards that they likely need to move after drafting Horford at #3. Rafer for Sheldon Williams + trade exception or salary cap filler for anyone?

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i agree with the first point. landry the only pick that im somewhat comfortable with. the others just dont make a lot of sense right now.

shopping rafer isnt really an option imo. you will be stuck with more offensive minded pg in MJ, an unproven euro, and a undersized rookie pg. I would like to get sheldon however, but i think atl will hand on to him

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

He also adds "restricting" to end that sentence. I think he was pointing out that Hayes is a restricted free agent. It's mostly their decision if he stays or not 'cause they can match (up to the MLE) and keep him whether he likes it or not.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I am almost 100% sure they keep Chuck. Morey seems to like Chuck a lot and chances are the price will be right.

Morey said that Landry is a better offensive player than Chuck but not as good on Chuck on D and rebounding because Chuck is "ELITE" (Morey's word) at defense and rebounding. That make me think that Morey think Chuck has value, and unless there is a grossly high contract to match, Chuck should be kept.

Also, as with all rookies, you never know what they can do until they get into camp. Landry could be useful, he could also bust. Morey said it himself only 20% or so of the picks in this range work out. You shouldn't be putting all your eggs in one basket at this point-- and certainly Morey won't, knowing the odds as he does. Chuck is the only real veteran PF on the team now.

12. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

having....
    CC....
    Flashback.
    :mad:
    lossing ...
    temper...

[​IMG]

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Rafer Alston isn't going anywhere. He and Mike James will share the majority of minutes at the PG spot, with James also seeing some minutes at SG and Brooks possibly picking up the scraps while he learns the position.

My guess is that Spanoulis and Lucas will be traded/waived (JLIII has only a partially guaranteed salary for next season) to clear up the glut at PG. Whether he's traded or not, the "Luther Head Experiment" at PG is finally over. He'll play exclusively at SG if he's a Rocket next year, although it'll be interesting to see who plays backup PG--Brooks or Head--if either Mike James or Rafer go down with an injury during the season.

That being said, I'm all in favor or trying to get Shelden Williams from the Hawks. I think he was taken way too high in last year's draft, but he's exactly the type of player the Rockets need: a big bruiser who will rebound and block shots. I wonder if Luther Head, Bob Sura and a heavily-protected future first rounder would get it done?

14. awo86

awo86 Rookie

motherfXXker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm so pissed when i see who we got on draft night.....for crying out loud....arron brroks?

i'm not as pissed about laundry, but the brooks pick really got me p[issed.

15. awo86

awo86 Rookie

ya man....get that done please....now that the hawks hav horford, they should give up sheldon williams for luther head or rafer alston. c'mon....make the trade morey.

otherwise ur tenure here will be short lived....i forsee loud boos for morey if we fail next season. he'll be getting the danny ainge treatment here in houston.

16. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

I like how knowledgeable Landry seemed about the Houston Rockets. He seemed like cool guy.

17. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Why the hell didn't Morey pick Davis, McRoberts, or Splitter at #26 and just get Aaron Brooks at #31 (since I doubt Aaron Brooks would've gone any higher)? Would've made a hell lotta more sense

18. BrockStapper

BrockStapper Contributing Member

confimation of my suspicions about your self-promoted basketball knowledge. Obviously your coaching gig went well...

19. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

If we bought at #31 a guy we were expected to take at #54, that tells me this wasn't a matter of best talent available, but that Morey was determined to get this guy.

20. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

Since Isiah Thomas and Billy Knight are morons, wondering if we could swindle them into giving up David Lee or Josh Smith respectively.

Rafer would have to be included for sure, Head/Snyder/future draft picks are tradeable and cheap options, and Sura's contract would be a plus, but we'd probably have to take on a bad contract.

We obviously won't be a championship caliber team with Landry or Hayes as our starting 4, so something needs to be done.