1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TRADE] Rockets Acquire Carl Landry (#31) PF Purdue

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Jun 28, 2007.

1. therox3

therox3 Member

Still no ESPN but the Chronicle has got it.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4930502.html

"They traded a future second-round pick and cash to the Seattle SuperSonics, who had Memphis' second-round pick, and then selected Purdue power forward Carl Landry. With their remaining pick, the 54th overall purchased from the Magic Thursday morning, the Rockets took 6-5 ½ shooting guard Brad Newley of Australia"

I can see Landry being more successful than Big Baby and McRoberts. Both were big question marks heading into the draft. To me it just seems like the two benefited from a lot more press than Landry.

2. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Landry seems to know his stuff:

``I think I can bring a lot to the table,'' Landry said. ``I'm in a way like Chuck Hayes, but I can score. I averaged 19 points in college. I'm going to rebound the ball, dive on the floor for loose balls, take charges, do little things it takes. I'm not going to be called upon right away to score. You got Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady and those guys to do that. But I'm going to give the team a few extra possessions and try to win a championship this year.

``Juwan Howard got traded. It's a little thin in the frontline especially at the power forward position. I really feel I can come in right away and make an immediate impact.''

I expect for him to be a 3rd string forward that could develop into something better.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Maybe height isn't overvalued overall... I mean, Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Tracy McGrady, Yao, Greg Oden, Dwight Howard, etc are still star players... and when you pick on top of the draft you are going to go for the guys who have it all.

But when you are talking the 26th, the 31st, etc pick, you got to sacrfice something. You ain't gonna have 7' atheletic freaks who averaged 20-10 in college sitting here. The question is what you sacrfice (or as you put it, what is the most "overvalued" trait),

I think a lot of your success stories are going to be productive college guys who tested out well atheletically, but are not taken due to some other perceived imperfections... and height is certainly one of the factors when you are talking guys like Boozer, Millsap, Craig Smith, etc. Another set of success story seem to be the "combo guards" (a.k.a. undersized scoring guards who are not perceived as true PGs)... correct me if I am wrong, but guys like Gilbert Arenas, Leandro Barbosa, and even Tony Parker fall into this category.

4. szman86

szman86 Contributing Member

Carl Landry is a great player! I've watched him at school all season and he was THE backbone and basically the entire Boilermaker team that ended up finishing the season optimistically and almost beat the champion Gators in the tourney. I see him as a more athletic duplicate of Chuck Hayes. Small size, but extremely athletic and mobile. It'll be interesting to see him play with Yao.

5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry if it has been mentioned before this. The slow post draft connection makes going back to read the whole thread very difficult.

I know very little of Mr. Landry but based on this video I am getting a big 'Kenny Thomas' vibe. Lots of the same sorts of drop steps and spin moves and good footwork, and of course the same undersized wide frame.

Also, considering he get more on offense than the garbage/putback/dunk, the FG% is pretty exceptional.

6. MONON

MONON Member

Having graduated from Purdue, I know that paper. You have Landry's stats, let me fill in some on his play. He played inside as he was the 2nd tallest player on the floor if not the tallest. Purdue ran a 3 or 4 guard offense. Landry scored from inside and out. I was surprised that his 3 pt % was that low. I thought it would be in the 35% range. He can set picks and drive around them. He's not a point forward, but can handle the ball as well as any other forward. His last year he had a couple of 6-11 centers to help out underneath. His shooting % was out to 18 ft.

He's a taller Chuck Hayes with an offensive game. Chuck will have him slightly on rebounding. Heart, hustle and bbIQ are the same.

Hope this helps.

7. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

8. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j68GY-FZWPU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j68GY-FZWPU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Carl Landry = Kenny Thomas w/ less rebounding, but more scoring ability?

Can he defend like Kenny?

Not sold on this pick either.

10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Wow. Anybody claiming Carl Landry isn't an athlete needs to watch that video madmonkey37 posted. Good lord. He put his nuts on that dudes head - and he did it just for fun. He had to go out of his way to do it! :D

11. Laozi

Laozi Member

Jeez man, you need to hire a writer or something, worse post of all time.

12. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Guys, I know alot of you are upset with or draft, but lets be honest we werent gonna get an Oden or Durant. I don't know anything about any one of the three players we came away with, but I have faith in Morey. Lets not crucify the man until he makes a big blunder. Nothing in the draft is guaranteed even Durant and Oden.

Also, is there anyone more annoying on planet Earth than Stephen A. freaking Smith?? Dude had me reaching for the mute button by the Seattle's pick. Smith is the only person that makes me wish I was listening to Tom Tolberts commentary. Why does ESPN continue to employ that jackass??? :mad:

13. WhoMikeJames

Oh my god. :eek: Nice 2nd dunk.

14. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

The dunk itself was impressive, but not nearly so impressive as the way he contorted his body up there with the expressed purpose of putting his nuts on that guys head! :D

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Isn't Brooks guaranteed a contract since he is a first round pick? I doubt he will have to worry about making the team.

From what I have seen, the kid has game. He can hit the midrange jumper, which is something that you can't say about Rafer. He played really well against the Gaters in the tourney (27 pts). He was a second team and third team all american (sporting news and AP) this past season so dont act like he is some scrub. :rolleyes:

16. WhoMikeJames

Listen to Landry in the phone call conversation. He sounds so optimistic and really loves Houston. BTW its the 2nd one out of the 3 interviews.

<embed src="http://web.splashcast.net/go/so/1/p/SHYV7525KC/s/CRGM1708AP" wmode="Transparent" width="400" height="300" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" />

17. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

Jeez I hope those guys don't find this board. Already booed and hated against before they even step on the floor. Classy. :confused:

18. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Is it possible that these picks mean Adelman is planning to play Shane a lot at the 4 and TMac at the 3? Otherwise it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to get another undersized 4 and a 1 that projects behind at least Alston and James, and possibly Lucas and Spanoulis.

Seems like taking 2 of the Splitter, Fazekas, McRoberts, and Davis group would have a better shot at producing at least 1 starter/rotation level player right away.

19. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

why should they care? Horry didnt care...If they perform, they should have nothing to worry about

20. BadD369

BadD369 Member

Mark my words...Landry will be a bust. I saw him play against Michigan for the last few years. He was pretty talked about in the Big-10, but I was very unimpressed with his play, ability to stay on the court, take over the game, etc... With Landry, Purdue was mediocre and Landry was nothing but a solid player who benefitited from being the number 1 scoring option for a weak team. I am very disapointed in this pick.