1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Trade Predictions.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thacabbage, Feb 6, 2000.

1. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Nothing solid in this thread, just me making my personal predictions. Please add to the list if you'd like.

Rockets:
    Cuttino Mobley and Walt Williams.
    Just my gut feeling. At this moment, we have 4 solid guards, and I think atleast one of them will be moved by the deadline. I think because Cat has more value than Drew, he will be the one moved. Drew though has gotten alot of interest. Another blessing in disguise from this Francis injury is that Drew will be starting. He continues to produce and GM's are taking note. Wouldn't be surprised to see Drew go, but I really think it will be Mobley. His contract is up at the end of this season, and the question is whether he will be happy with less money and a backup role for the rest of his career. Its obvious the Rockets are showcasing Walt, and hopefully they will find a taker.

Terrel Brandon:
    Bobby Jackson isn't Terrel Brandon, but he has proven that he is definitely capable. IMHO, the best idea would be to trade the fragile Brandon for some frontcourt help, and re-sign Jackson.

Tracy McGrady:
    At this point I think the Raptors will just ride the rest of the season out with him and see what happens this summer. McGrady won't be traded this season, IMO.

Larry Hughes:
    I think he is gone. Hardly played any minutes in the Rockets game with Iverson on fire. My guess is that he ends up in Miami in some sort of a 3-way deal.

2. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

thacabbage,

Since you left G Rice off your list, does that mean he will still be a Laker?

Mango

3. thacabbage

Glen was definitely pissed after his lack of minutes in the Rockets game. He had his agent call the Lakers later that night. The Lakers are shopping him, but my question is, where will he go? Who actually is willing to pay this guy $14 million once his contract is up? Riley may want him, but what does he have that the Lakers want? He isn't going to give up PJ Brown for Glen Rice, so who else is left? The only thing I could see happening is the Sixers trading Ty Hill, Larry Hughes, and others for Rice. Makes sense for the Sixers, but what happens to the Lakers? Sure, they get the defensive power forward that they so vocally craved, but do they then move Kobe Bryant to the small forward?

4. Mango

Some three-way deal with Miaimi, LA, and either Philly or Toront? Some organizations don't care for Riley or Phil, so it is difficult for them to make deals. The price of fame and their egos

I don't see any Western Conference playoff contender doing anything to help LA, so it would be either Eastern Confeernce or a lower echelon Western Conference team.

Mango

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Well, how many moves were we supposed to have made after August 1st? Didn't we supposedly have all these blockbuster deals lined up, just waiting for guys to reach their '60-day' limit? My prediction is that nothing will happen, since nothing always does.

6. Mango

TheFreak,

What deal did/do you want them to make?

Based on the injuries and staying with the status quo after the Pip trade, are the Rockets about where they should be?

Mango

7. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

They will NOT move Mobley unless its like a proven commodity. You guys have underestimated Mobley's and Francis' friendship. It doesn't matter that Mobley is worth more than Drew. They would not want to piss Francis off.

Drew on the other hand is developing into a great PG but needs time. He will not get it here. Mobley fits the 6th man role, he produces the spark we need off the bench. Drew needs to be a starting PG and get into the flow of the game.

I can guarantee you GMs around the league have been noticing Drew. However, I don't think Rudy wants to trade yet and just finish this so called "82 game training camp". He's probably going to save Drew for draft day to trade up.

You want a solid trade prediction? Here's one:

Clippers will get a very high pick and we will get mid lotto. We might want to trade up for a franchise guy, and the Clips will not pick a PG that high. A solid PG will be available where we pick. We will trade up with our pick up with Drew to nab a franchise player. Clips get the PG help they need, we get the forward we need.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Rudy absolutely WOULD trade Mobley if he thought it would help his team

If we could get McGrady for Mobley and Williams, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Francis is signed for 3 more years, he can make a new friend. One that is not so crazy and has an idea of game situations.

DaDakota

9. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

No i dont think he would. if its the one thing i dont like about houston is that they always make some blockbuster trade every other year. that was good with drexler and barkley but they are always trying to change things. why dont they just keep what htey have for a few years. mobley is a 2nd year player with great talent and potential. he reminds me a bit of drexler although not quite as good. i wish houston would just keep their guards instead of always thinking short term.

btw on hughes, mcgrady, and rice i bet tor, phil, and LA do a 3 way

LA gets mcgrady and tyrone hill or geiger
    Philly gets glen rice and some other player
    Toronto gets derek fisher and larry hughes.

thats what NBATALK had to say and i think that sounds logical. lord LA would be scary after that tho.

------------------
    --TEX

10. thacabbage

RF34:

I don't think Steve Francis is that selfish and immature. I would hope that he would understand the business nature of the NBA.

On another note, Bryce Drew had another solid game from the starting spot. It sounds cruel, but I hope other GM's take note.

Freak:

Nothing always happens? Have you already forgotten about the Steve Francis and Scottie Pippen megadeals the Rockets pulled off this summer, just when many of us thought they were sitting on their asses doing nothing?

11. thacabbage

Texasalsa:

We can build stability after we build our ideal roster. Build the nucleus, then keep that nucleus intact while adding peices along the way. Right now, that nucleus is about 75% complete with Cato, Anderson, and Francis. With Anderson around, I think Mobley is repetitive, and we need to find that last peice. Then, we can get to business and play with the cards we have.

12. rocketsfan34

Cabbage:

I just hate to piss off Francis so early in his career. Plus he hasn't had his big contract yet so I DO NOT want to take that chance. Maybe after the pay day in 3-4 years, but then he might be too close with Mobley. Problems, Problems, Problems...

It ain't cruel. It is in the best interest in the team AND drew for him to be traded. One reason we haven't traded him now is so we can at least give him the experience so he can be an attractive offer. Remember this guy has underachieved from where he was picked...now he's coming around. Here is why we need to trade Drew:

1. He's meant to be a starting PG, not backup. Not the spark kind of guy, more of a get into the flow.

2. We have Francis, we need a spark not the other.

3. Drew will get a better opportunity somewhere else. More playing time.

Remember Mobley plays very similar to Francis and can replace him if Francis ever gets injured. Drew on the other hand, we would have to change it into more of a post up which we won't have in a few years.

13. rocketsfan34

I also think the roster is about 75% complete. However I think Mobley is part of that nucleus.

Francis, Anderson, Draft pick, Rogers, Cato
    The bench: Mobley, Leon

I don't know why I think this is the nucleus it just seems right. I usually think like Rudy(weird) and this is what I envision.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yes, Mobley and Francis are buddy-buddies. And yes, Francis is the immediate future of this organization. But come on guys, if you don't think the Rockets will trade Mobley for the "right deal", you are sorely mistaken. This is a team that has pondered trading Hakeem Olajuwon for pete's sake... yes, once it was during heated contract debates and the other possible time was during the past off-season during a career downslide for Hakeem, but it still happened. That being said, for us to get rid of Mobley, it better be one hell of a deal that brings us a very good frontcourt player.

------------------
    trade them all and fire the coach.

15. Bruno

Bruno Member

the rockets need to keep Mobley. he is the heart and soul of the team much like Elie was. the only trade the rockets should be looking for is to move up in the lottery either by trading Drew or one of the first round picks.

16. Steve Phrancis

Sorry, Drew won't be moved unless it is for another BACKUP point guard! Unless another team throws in another point with someone else. But his value isn't able to warrent this unless another player with value is added like Cat.

Our biggest need, and I have said it all along is a PF! We have a solid 1 with a backup. We have 2 solid 2's and Shandon can play 3 as well. Carlos Rogers, because of his speed for his size makes a good 3 and limited 4. I don't know what will happen to Walt, but he isn't that bad as a 3. We have a solid 5 and Pig can do some backup duty(Hakeem will be retired soon, he left us with some Killer Memories include David's MVP trophy game!!!!). KT is a small 4 and won't be able to bang with PJ Brown, McDyess, Wallce/Grant, Malone to name a few. He works great like Othello did in our system. But it was no different than when Iverson had to guard Shandon. He couldn't! He was a little quicker than Shandon so he gave him match up problems at the other end, but Shandon did an exceptional job guarding him. Mobes gave up a lot of the points.

Once again, we need a 4 more than any other position.

17. outlaw

outlaw Member

How about: Mobley + our 1st round pick + Detroit's pick + Walt Williams to the 76ers for Theo Ratliff?

Mobley would probably love a chance to play in his hometown. With Larry Hughes possibly departing, they may need another guard and Mobley can back-up both Iverson and Snow.

Walt gives them some scoring punch from the 3 spot that Billy Owens hasn't given them.

The Sixers have a lot of money invested in Ratliff, Geiger and Hill so one of them might be available because of the improvement of George Lynch's play.

I would love to see a Rockets' front-line of Carlos Rogers, Theo Ratliff and Kelvin Cato (especially against the T-Wolves and Spurs)

5 = Cato/Olajuwon
    4 = Ratliff/Thomas
    3 = Rogers/Bullard
    2 = Anderson/rookie or free agent
    1 = Francis/Drew

[This message has been edited by outlaw (edited February 07, 2000).]

18. thacabbage

Outlaw:

That same deal, minus our 1st round pick. I wouldn't give that pick up just yet.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I believe Drew is gone for the following reasons.

1)He won't get the minutes to develop as a PG while Francis is around.

2)Without minutes during a game, it is hard to keep his shot sharp.

3) Scoonie Penn, El Amin, Mateen Cleaves, and Erick Barkley are likely to be drafted in the first round. I don't see these guys as top four picks. One of them should be left around when Detroit picks. Throw the dice. If the rocs crap out, trade for a late first rd pick and take the best available PG. The rocs would also have one of these PGs for longer and less money than Drew.

To be able to run well, one must have a stable of horses. Mobley is a horse, he stays. Anderson, Francis, Rogers, Cato are all horses. Thomas isn't a horse, but sometimes a burro is needed.

Walt Williams for a 2nd rder anyone?

Anyone but Francis and Olajuwon are available for right price.

20. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Unless we find a way to trade into the top 6 and get Morris or Martin, I think we need to find our starting 3,4 and backup 5 other ways besides the draft. (I sure wish we had traded Pippen earlier in the summer so Jackson could have been included in the package (would've solved the 3 spot), and I don't think we should have dumped Augmon. wouda-couda-shouda...)

Marcus Camby would be perfect, because he could play the 4, backup the 5, and be a great combo with Cato, and I think the chemistry would be good. New York needs a point, do you think they'd take Drew and combo?

Tracy McGrady, Brian Grant, Theo Ratliff, Wally Szczerbiak, Joe Smith, and Keith Van Horn would all be guys I'd love to get somehow. Would Minnesota take Mobely for one of those guys?

Still, we may have more than we realize already, and our backcourt is a solid group of guys for a strong future. I think that Rogers could be our future 3, and Thomas our backup 4, just like Othella was, and who knows, he could even start. Pig could be a decent backup 5. If we picked up Leon Smith, it would take another 3 years for him to develop. He's not a Garnett or Kobe.

As many others on the board, I think our greatest need is a good starting 4 and 3 to battle it out with Thomas and Rogers. I'd hate to lose Drew or Mobley, and I'd only trade Mobley if it meant getting one of the aforementioned players, but if it meant a developing power forward who'd be one of our future building blocks, it seems like we have to make that deal. Of course, if someone would take the Wizard and a draft pick for a building block, that would be awesome too.

We could always move Anderson to the 3, and then we might have our future team right now, even though a little small, then rotate to a taller team with Rogers at the 3:

Cato/Pig/TMass
    Thomas/Rogers
    Anderson/Bullard
    Mobely
    Francis/Drew