1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade next years 1st round pick for a 2nd 1st rounder this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ipaman, Feb 28, 2012.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

We could possibly get Dontari Poe and Melvin Ingram (Mario replacement) in the 1st round this year. Take a WR in the 2nd.

And you figure our 2013 pick won't be as high since we would have just won the superbowl.

2. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

It's going to take more than next year's 1st to get a second 1st rounder. Last year the Saints traded back into the first round to pick Mark Ingram at 28 and had to give up a future first along with their 2nd round pick. Tthat was just to get a late 1st round pick.

Melvin Ingram is probably going top 20 and after Poe's showing at the combine he might be too. We are going to have to give up a lot more if those are the 2 guys you want.

3. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Dontari Poe hasn't done much with all his measurables @ Memphis. If I am Smithiak I'd pass

4. ThaShark316_28

Type that again, please...

5. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

I'm intrigued by him at what he can do playing with this defensive unit and more importantly playing under great coaching.

6. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Fair point but to trade a first, it'd have to be for five star prospect imho...

7. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

Oh for sure but if he fell to us at 26 he would be someone we would strongly have to consider.

And again the OP's original proposal is flawed, it would have to more from our end for that to happen. No team would trade away their current first round pick just for next year's first round pick, especially when you know that team will be again picking towards the back end of the round. That's basically like us trading the 26th pick straight up for the 19th pick.

8. Mashing

Mashing Member

I don't know, it could be coaching. He's has elite measurables for his size.

9. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

I'd rather trade this years pick for a future 1st and a second this year and draft,

2a. Vinny Curry
    2b. Marvin McNutt
    3. Joe Adams

I wouldn't really care how the rest of the draft went at this point I'd be to excited with these three players.

10. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

I agree.Pats do it ever other year. traded a high first to the raiders once and the following year drafted at the 7th spot.