1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Miggy to the Red Sox

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by fmullegun, Jul 29, 2009.

1. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

I love Miggy. I love his apolodgize. I like the music they used to play after he got a hit last year.

But the Red Sox need a short stop REALLY REALLY bigtime. And they will pay big for a short stop.

2. dreamfellas21

dreamfellas21 Member

miggy for who?

3. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

Yeah trade your best hitter, statistically, when you're only 2.5 games out of first place and 3 out of the wildcard.

4. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I know the argument for this is, "anything can happen in the playoffs". But I just don't see this team a) winning the division, or b) even if they did, advancing very far in the playoffs.

I carry the mindset of, if you can't win it all, there's no point in hurting your future for a meaningless playoff spot. I'd rather the Rockets be in the lottery than a 7th or 8th seed and get bounced in the 1st round. With this in mind, I'm selling Tejada and Valverde at the deadline to help bolster the farm.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

it's really not even an argument in baseball...it's a fact. the wild card team keeps advancing to the WS over and over again.

baseball outcomes include massive amounts of luck....the smaller the sample size, the more that's true.

6. LongTimeFan

I wasn't saying it wasn't true as much as saying that's the argument people point to in arguing against selling off players when they're in the race. I personally feel like all we've done for the last decade is try to acquire players TO make that run, and it left us with the mess in the minors we have now. At some point, we have to start trading guys for prospects instead of the other way around.

Do you think we should stand pat and lose Tejada for nothing next year?

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I doubt we offer him arbitration, but if we did then we could get draft picks, which would probably be just as valuable as anything we could trade him for.

8. LongTimeFan

Agreed, but I thought the consensus was we would not offer arbitration because it would be another big pay raise on top of all the money we're paying him now. So, basing it off that assumption (won't be offered), do you keep him for the run or trade him?

9. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I don't think it'll happen but I'd be for it. We're in the race now, but Berkman and maybe Oswalt are now down for an important stretch. The fact that we are in a weak division is really giving people a lot of false hope...there is no way in hell we are going to win a world series with Oswalt/Wandy and no other stud pitcher. And while Wandy has been rock solid, he hasn't started playoff games so who knows how he'd respond.

I look at it from the perspective that we need a world series win. The Astros are soon going to be 60 years without a title. We're not going to win one this year, so let's get what we can for our aging players and build to make a serious run in the future. No more September "fun runs" that we all know (1) aren't likely to lead to a playoff birth and (2)we won't have the resources to really win the crown anyway. We shouldn't settle for just being in the race every year, and 4/5 times not making the playoffs.

10. MadMax

2.5 games out of first place on July 29? i'm not trading my best hitter.

i'm not advocating trading talent on the farm to upgrade the current roster either....but we are drafting guys and signing them...and remaining competitive along the way.

11. MadMax

We've been to the playoffs 6 times in the last 12 seasons. :p

12. LongTimeFan

So you'd rather lose your 'best hitter' for nothing next year and try to make the playoffs this year. Got it - just a difference of opinion.

13. MadMax

yeah, i would. to me you don't acquire a guy like tejada so that you can ultimately trade him away for prospects that may never play remotely close to how he's playing right now.

if you're out of the race entirely, trade him.

but if you're 2.5 out, you don't...that's disrespectful to season ticket holders, at the very least.

14. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

If the Sox offered a nice package of say Masterson or Buckholz along with another prospect then MAYBE but comparing the NBA playoffs to the MLB playoffs is apples to oranges...Half the teams in the NBA make the tourny while only a fourth make it in MLB thus whoever gets in has a great shot just look at the 05 Stros, 06 Cards and even last year with the Phils...I maybe in the minority on this but making the playoffs is an accomplishment in its own right in MLB so unless its one of the pitchers I meantioned above NO GO!

15. MadMax

or the marlins in 03

or the rockies in 07

seriously, more often than not, one of the teams winning a pennant each season is one that was least expected.

16. LongTimeFan

I understand it could tick off a lot of fans, but (no offense - "I said no offense!?") I think those fans are short-sighted. Trading him could potentially make us a better team several years in the future, vs. reaping what benefits he gives us in only this year.

I think in the end, I'm just not happy with competing - I want to be the best. Keeping Miggy IMO would make us competitive this year, but trading him could land us someone that would put us as the favorites in the near future. I know a trade for any prospect type is a gamble, but I just feel it would be best for this organizations future outlook. I just can't see us winning the WS this year.

17. juicystream

I would keep him because I don't think you can get good enough value for him. I never say never to trading someone, but I'd have to get a steal of a package. The same thing goes for Valverde, though we might offer him arbitration since he would be more likely to decline.

18. LongTimeFan

The Marlins are also infamous for trading their best guys off for prospects, which helped build those championship teams. It goes both ways.

19. juicystream

The problem is we would never get something like that for Miggy. If the Red Sox are willing to make a deal like that they will go out and get Halladay. I know you aren't saying we could get that, but some people seem to think we can.

20. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

As posted a few post before...Rockies didn't this so and the Stros were massive underdogs in 05, Cards where huge underdogs in 06...Just because in July you dont have a feel for the squad doesn't mean we cant get super hot in September and get in the dance...Remember two stud pitchers in the playoffs give you a great chance right off the bat! The key is staying in the race till September after that its anyone's game!