1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade deadline: make a move or stand pat?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NL Rocket, Jan 13, 2013.

1. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Yea, I'm sure teams are banging down the Rockets door to trade their premiere PF for that package.

2. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

What to do at the trade deadline? Be smart.

Of course if a big time player gets available you get after him (Love, Howard, CP3...) - and of course if anyone really wants any of our players we listen to him (we can easily part with 1 or 2 of our PFs and our role players can all be had for the right price). And if anyone is willing to give us great assets in return for our capspace (so dumping a bad contract) we also might be willing to do that.

But I don't think we will be desperate to make something happen. We have e youngest team in the league - let them grow together. And we have lots of capspace. If we just want to improve and not make a big splash, we should be easily able to sign a player like Millsap or Josh Smith.

So I see Morey doing some minor moves to get a draft pick or a favorable contract - but if no superstar is available (and no, I don't consider players like Josh Smith superstars), he will probably try to keep our core four together...

3. Fawkward

Fawkward Member

JSmoove's contract is expiring and I sincerely doubt he will re-up with Atlanta since he's already shown that he's not content there. I say assemble a package around PPat, MMorris, and one of Dmo/TJones for him.

4. rockettes

rockettes Rookie

trade royce white lol

5. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

It's McHale's job to try to get us in the playoffs. It's Morey's job to build a team that will be a true contender. I think Morey could make a few trades that may hurt us in the short term, but would be beneficial in the long term. I think Morey will do what he needs to do and not worry about this years playoff chase. If Morey can't swing a deal at the trade deadline for another star player, then he will do what he can do to give the Rockets as much flexibility as possible moving forward. It's clear the Rockets are not a title contender as currently constructed, so the building must continue.

6. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Patience, my fellow Rockets fans.

To be honest, i'd rather wait for the off-season and have a go with the free agents to keep our assets intact.

If i was the gm and i'm quite sure Morey would agree that we have to keep Chandler Parsons. He's the only player we have whom other teams would be interested in. No one would want Morris, Patterson, etc.. especially given how crappy they've been playing as of late.

Keep the core of Harden, Lin, Parsons, and Asik and wait for free agency.

Again, unless some pipedream deal suddenly presents itself, i don't see any huge trades at the trade deadline. Expect something minor to fill gaps in our rotation just to solidify our playoff push this season.

7. tharges

tharges Member

Any interest in Anthony Randolph? Hes not doing anything in Denver, seems like when he has minutes he can produce. We were high on him a couple of years ago.

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I doubt it. A few years ago we were interested in his potential. Well, he's been on three teams now. He's several years older and has progressed very little if at all. I'm sure he can be had, but I'm not sure why we would want him at this point.

As to the question at hand:

I'm hoping we can utilize our cap space by doing things like taking on Rip Hamilton so Chicago can avoid the luxury tax in exchange for their 1st round pick. If there are more moves like that out there, I'd do those too. Assuming the players are either expiring or only have one more season on the books.

Obviously I would love to see a blockbuster move for a guy like Love or Aldridge, but I don't see that happening, so I'm just hoping to see moves that better position us for a future blockbuster.

#28 Williamson, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  9. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

If the deal was worth it, like i said in the other thread, Lin and 2Pat trade up for a solid PF. We really need help at the 4 and 5.

but like i said only if we got a good offer. otherwise id just wait until the offseason and see how the two progress or digress throughout the season.

10. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Tony and Alrich is gone imo. Tony is a important part of the team now, but Morey needs all the cap space he can get this offseason to sign a max guy. Matching a cotract giving Tony 4 million for 3 or 4 years will hurt that. So I see Morey getting somthing for him now and not risk losing him for nothing.

11. TripleSeven

TripleSeven Member

Don't stand Pat, TRADE Pat

12. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

he's good but his value is at it's peak with his contract and I believe morey can find a legit backup center fairly easily. If you can get a first rounder for him - that's a pretty good return. It would also clear way for montiejunas to get some addl pt this season which will benefit us into next year.

With as many young and talented players as the rockets have, you can't possibly develop them all. Some of them will have to be moved and this represents an opporunity to quickly gain value instead of losing it at the end of his contract when you can't resign him because some other team is willing to Linn-sign him out from under Morey (turn-a-bout is fair play).

13. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I think we should Sit Pat on the bench, not stand him. Maybe make some minor moves for the draft or to get deeper in thin areas (SG)

14. PhiSlammaJamma

I would like to see what this team can do in the playoffs. Obviously wave no post moves. But we have incredible ability to spread the floor and drive the basket at almost every position on the floor including center. I'd like to see what happens in the playoffs and make a move next year based on the results. Think this team is interesting enough to test. If it turns out we need a post player, then we need to make a move at power forward or Center, but hard to find one of those kinds PF's. And even harder to find a C.

15. thething

thething Contributing Member

We can trade any of Patterson, Morris, Douglas, Aldrich, Delfino, or Jones for a 1st round pick.

We might possibly do a deal for a second rounder for some of them.

We might be able to get a first rounder using cap space.

If josh smith or millsap are available we could do something like that.

16. Panda23

Panda23 Member

unlikely to get his production from a late firstrounder.

17. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Between PPat and Morris, I would give Morris more time to develop, but clearly PPat needs to go to give PT for DMo or Jones.

Unlike PG and C, PF is the easier position to learn. There is no reason to wait and see after year two. Patient is not a virtual with so many PFs in our roster.

The best case scenario is to trade PPat for a first round lottery protected pick. Sometimes we just have to cut our losses and move on.

I am really dissappointed at Morey that we have 5 PFs who are all finesse players, none who can really bang low and muscle for rebounds.

18. eman

eman Contributing Member

Well, we got one: Greg Smith.

19. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

unlikely his production translates when provided more minutes. I'm expecting him to regress to the mean. He's good. Not great.

A draft and stash late first rounder presents more value. The pick alone is a commodity that could be moved at the draft in the offseason for a player

20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

If Maurrrii no get Love, Aldridge, Pau or other super star power forward or even center he failure with rox and should get fired. I wish I never say "In Mauri I trust" for such failure guy who ruin rox dreams for championship. :(