1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade: Bonzi, James for Bobby Jackson? (UPDATE: Done Deal)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by farrisdabis, Feb 20, 2008.

1. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

James + Bonzi for Jackson + Ryan Bowan works on the trade machine, and reduces our payroll by exactly the $1.5 million we need to get under the luxury tax this year.

2. mcgrady33090

mcgrady33090 Member

this trade is idk maybe could work for the rox, i still like bonzi more than jackson.
    hmm i think theres another trade goin on, maybe artest, gettin rid of bonzi give artest and battier more playin time, and jackson can be the back up point-guard since brooks is leaving

3. LFE171

LFE171 Member

YES!!!!!!!!!!!! i totally agree. If Mo pete was thrown in there hell yea, but for who? he makes 5mm too...in order for that to work, you might have to throw head in there cause I think head+bonzi+james = right over 10MM

This would also work if you a snyder, head, bonzi, james for butler, peterson and jackson trade. now that's definitely worth considering in my opinion.

4. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

okay iv thought about this...maybe there is a 3 way brewing with memphis somehow in which we get miller and bobby or with sac in which we get artest...meaning brooks is out as well?

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

Like Kirk Snyder's expiring contract last off-season?

6. playlife

playlife Member

Wow..Bobby is playing great against the Mavs ...17points now and 5-8 3pt

7. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I think James + Bonzi for Jackson + Ely also gets us under the luxury tax threshold.

8. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Hey if this gets rid of Mike James, I'm all for it. :cool:

9. ctry2582

ctry2582 Member

Watch we get Ryan Bowen back!

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Bobby Jackson games played average 2003-2007: 52.2
    Yes thats 30 games MISSED on AVERAGE. This guy downright makes McGrady look like NBA Cal Ripkin. Jackson's at 46 games played this season so he's due to go down any time...

The way to add a Bobby Jackson type to the team is to go ahead and play Mike James lol. Man Stevie, why'd your knees have to act up on us....

Do you want to take away Chris Paul's aging ineffective backup, or give him another option on offense in Bonzi to pass the ball to? Or have Mike James back him up and all of a sudden recover his stroke?

This is at the absolute MOST a lateral move.

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Kidd looks old as hell out there........Thank you New Jersey for making it happen :cool:

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Is that more 3's than Mikes James b**** has canned in the past 5 months?

13. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

like i said, we should not make trades just to make trades. the name looks good for dallas (like shaq for the suns) but it may turn out not to put them over the top.

if we stay the way we are, i'm confident as long as tmac gets his game together and the role players continue to grow. only the lakers can be better than us at their best b/c they simply have more talent. but our defense is so killer that if we play great D, we can beat them too.

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i'm not going to address everything but you can't say that jackson is a better shooter with a straight face. the guy is a streaky shooter who has had trouble staying healthy on the wrong side of 30. he hasn't shot over 40% from the field in the past 3 seasons. and there is also this....
    rafer's career 3pt% 35.6%
    jackson's career 3pt% 35.9%

we don't gain anything on the court. we lose on the court. we only gain in the pocketbook.

15. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Terrible deal if we do it. We need Bonzi a lot more than we need a washed up Bobby Jackson

16. Vivid

Vivid Member

There has got to be a catch somehow. Why would we trade a rotation guy for a guy that will split time with Brooks??? This hurts our depth has Bonzi played 3/2 and was an underrated passer. Trading away James contract doesn't make sense because we are taking back Butler. We don't get under the luxury cap...risk losing a bit of momentum...and don't gain much. That doesn't sound like moneyball. If I were a betting man...this trade is a set up contingent on another trade going through. Why would we need a back up point guard...and why would we trade away a quality rotation player? Why would we trade an underachieving contract for another...and not get under lux cap? Perhaps we are getting another swingman who will take that playing time, and the trade costs us a backup pg? hmmm, who would that be...
    -V

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/ian_thomsen/02/19/hornets.deadline/
    http://www.bayoubuzz.com/News/Louis...ricks_Perrilloux_Saints_Free_Agents__5853.asp
    http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/story/2008/2/20/172646/818

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

devean george is starting and stackhouse is injured.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If T-mac gets his game together, we'll be fine... with or without Bonzi. That is the only thing that needs to be taken into account whether or not this team has a chance at legit success.

The fact that Jackson has the ability to be what Mike James wasn't, adds a dimension of knowing the system where the PG is so vital (see every good game Rafer has had this year, = win), and being a guy who can get Yao Ming the ball, and being a pretty damn good defender against some of the other quick guards out west (Terry, Farmar, Fisher, Parker, Ginobili, Nash)... it definitely outweighs Bonzi's inconsistent contributions.

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

good call vivid. i don't like that jackson will be taking minutes from brooks. let's not forgot brooks won the college 3pt shootout last year. i like his chances to get comfortable with his shot in the last 30 or so games.