1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade all for a superstar? I say Why not

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by metalshred, Apr 27, 2012.

1. metalshred

metalshred Member

Before I say anything else, please keep in mind that I love Lowry, Dragic, Scola and all, but no matter how much I enjoy having them on our team I don't see the team going anywhere with the current type of roster.

Stating the obvious, we need a superstar.

Many of us are not comfortable with trading away our best players for superstars, or, one superstar. Many of us do not like the idea of sending away many our best players for really just one "good" player in return because he's not worth it.

But hell, he is worth it!

Look at our team for the past few years, every year we added new faces, new blood, new potentials. But where are we today? Not much different from where we started since Yao went down. Some of us may say "In Morey I trust" because Morey is doing a great job at stealing players in drafts or trades and overall that we are not loosers in dealing with drafts and trades. However, due to the fact that we are always "winners" in our trades, we are not likely to get much closer to landing ANY real superstars. Truth is, teams that have superstars are looking to STEAL when they trade with you, and if you do not plan to loose, you can stand up and leave.

Maybe I'm being on the extreme side a bit, I think we should be willing to package any player we have, whether it includes Lowry, Scola, Martin, Lee, Dragic (if he re-signs), Budinger, or whoever or whatever kind of package of any of these players, to trade for a superstar. If we don't plan to loose the deal, chance is we will never win in the game of basketball. That's how important this one player is, we need a leader who can carry the team in times of ease AND need.

Besides, trading for a superstar is not Morey's strength because he is not willing to overspend, but STEALING players in trades/drafts is! If we loose many of our good players in this one trade and finally landed ourselves a superstar, it is likely that Morey can replenish the rest of the team sooner or later whether it's in trades or drafts.

Aren't you more confident in Morey being able to do that than trading for a Superstar while trying to win deals? At least I am.

My point simplified, much love to our current players, but trade all for a superstar.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Don't you know? Dragic is a superstar. Why would the Rockets trade him?

3. conquistador#11

i think the best way to get a superstar is the following:

Since Mctalky has all the league connections, rolling with the tnt crew, he needs to convince the U.S.A national team coach to put Parsons in the roster. Everybody loves Parsons, knowing that you get him to infiltrate the plastics, ie the divas and become friends with them. It'll be like "mean girls."

that has a better chance of working. =)

4. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

If only it were that easy...

5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

wait, maybe i'm the looser

and i agree. one tracy in his prime is worth a few lowrys, scolas and budingers. Melo or Lebron or Kobe or Dwight or Durrant are worth 1/4 of our roster easily.

6. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

It's the obvious solution....except finding that nebulous trade partner that's willing to give up a dollar for 2 quarters and 3 dimes is almost impossible. And whenever that partner exists, there are a dozen suitors pounding on the same door.

It's why I'd like to see Morey chuck his value-is-everything bible for once and push all his chips in to get one. He's demonstrated that he can whip top role players out of thin air, so who cares if you gave "too many" of them up to reel in the elusive big fish?

7. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

why not? because it takes two teams to trade...

8. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

C'mon we all know this. If we could trade our entire roster for a superstar it would've happened already.

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

No s*hit, sherlock! :p

10. onreego

onreego Member

Who is actually attainable? I think Howard is the only thing that comes close and thats a longshot. But yes your idea is good but also obvious.

11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Wait... you're telling me Morey has not thought of this?????

12. metalshred

metalshred Member

If it is difficult to trade between 2 teams, involve more than two.

We have 15 players on our roster, how many teams in the NBA would be interested in having one or more of Lowry or Scola or Parsons or Dragic or Dalembert or Camby or Budinger or Lee or Martin on their team? I guess many.

I really wish if I could do an analysis about this with real player situations, but I don't think I can do it better than most of you, plus at the moment I do not have the time. In the previous trade hypothesises we saw in this forum we often tried too hard to win trades that in the end it becomes unrealistic because other teams would never take it up.

I really want to see another hypothesis with a situation that everyone else wins and we lose to the point that everyone is happy to do the trade and enjoy drinking our blood and making us cry while we finally end up with ourselves a superstar to rebuild our team.

We can then say "In Morey We Trust" in a situation that is a completely different from before and watch how he does what he does best and how the story unfolds.

13. metalshred

metalshred Member

My point is, just maybe, the fact that Morey is good at beating other teams in trades is costing our team and we should loosen up a bit and try to find gain in a loss sometimes.

We've seen too many of Morey's good deals that are all nice and lovely but where have they brought us to?

Absolutely no where.

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

If it is difficult to trade between 2 teams, trading between 3 is tougher.

That said, it is often what happens (*cough*) until Stern comes along to f*** it up (*cough*).

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

dude...did you not watch the game last night?? we won!!!

;)

16. metalshred

metalshred Member

Incredible! :grin:

17. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

because they do not see anything valuable on Rockets roster.

18. metalshred

metalshred Member

I'm sure that's not the case.

But I do think it takes a bit of a genius to work it all out, that's why managers get paid after all, right?

That is also the reason some people are questioning Morey's abilities now even after all the great trades + picks he produced. Morey is a great GM, but maybe he tries too hard to win everytime.

Sometimes we need to take a bit of risk in order to produce a return that's more than average. Morey's average is obviously above average, however we need just for one time go beyond even that.

19. Karolik

Karolik Member

Entire Rockets roster for Anthony Davis please.

20. H-TOWNSFINEST

H-TOWNSFINEST Member

After watching this season I think the Rockets should do whatever they can do to get an allstar. There was terrible officiating this season and having someone who can get the bs calls the refs have been calling this season would be a big help. Scola's aging and his game seems to be falling off. This team needs a pretty big overhaul imo.