1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Tracker] Mid-to-long range 2s

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Do you care to take any accountability for that ridiculous racist comment yet?

Not an sjw or anything like that, but I do think it is extremely uncool that you never once said “im sorry, my bad that was inappropriate” or anything like that.

I will continue to bring it up, because I honestly do think its a problem if people are allowed to not be held responsible for that kind of crap.

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They took more mid to long range twos because we forced them to take more mid to long range twos, which is a testament to our improved defense and close out ability on the three point line. Generally, the team that is shooting more mid-range is not the team that is winning. This is our prime advantage against GSW, and the Rockets know it. Every time the Warriors shot those twos last night, I was so damn happy. Those DO NOT beat us.

Now we need to get that transition defense/communication on point.

D-rock and BigMaloe like this.
  3. PhiSlammaJamma

As noted last night the strategy is fine with dual threat players like Harden, Paul, Gordon, Moute, but also as noted last June it's dead to players like Anderson, Ariza, and Tucker who cannot drive. Given two of those three are starters, that's trouble come June.

Personally think that if you can't shoot the 2, it does catch up to you because some players are effectively eliminated like Anderson, but additionally you now only need to guard about 30% of the floor. So for me, the analytics may prove Moreys strategy, but the math against a smart team probably doesn't add up. Additionally I think players work best in roles and patterns, even if they hate them from the pure boredom of it, so if you get into a patten of 3s and layups, and the defense figures out how to take it away, you may want to adjust, it may be available to you, but you will in fact have a hard time adjusting to taking wide open 2s.

OTMax likes this.
  4. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

We outscored the Warriors 54-32 in the paint.

Please, by all means, take more mid-range GSW. I BEG YOU!

5. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Is it even possible to take away threes and layups with 4 or 5 out? Unless you have Olajuwon out there, I don't see it.

Against the Spurs, I didn't think that was the case. I saw Harden die on the court, in a series we would have handily one with another ball-handler like Chris Paul.

D-rock likes this.
  6. OTMax

OTMax Member

That's an interesting take, might be true. I do think for our Rockets though it was not necessarily because we were forced off the 3pt line and mainly because we attacked relentlessly. Of course because teams know our strategy they want to take away our threes, which is fine because it opens up the lane like it did today. So as long as the guys who are good from mid-to-long range like CP3, Harden, Gordon, Nene and probably Mbah occassionally shoot it, then we should be fine. Ryno with the Dirk fadeaway in the mid-to-long range works too from time to time. The problem is when we always go for the lay-up even with it's crowded or force it out for a 3 when a wide open 2 presents itself.

RudyTBag likes this.
  7. Daddy Long Legs

Refuse to take any accountability for that racist comment eh?

You legit seem like a bad human being right now dude. Cant say I’ve ever assumed any other poster on this bbs is flat out a bad human being

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That's right. Also, because they are a superteam. And pretty much the only way to beat them is with defensive length ... a lot of it. That usually translates to loading up on 3 and D players and long centers. And that usually translates into those defensive players that are needed to stop the Warriors be either posted around the perimeter on offense or picking for your scorers.

Why have these 3D players and long centers who can't shoot well take midrange shots.

No one is saying GSW doesn't have a better offense (largely from better talent), and no one will complain about Paul and Harden taking more 2s. We can get some of that in our plays, but one of the beauties of our system is you can have a revolving door of 3 and D players with length to help guard the Warriors, and hurt them 3s, while Paul/Harden manage the scoring.

We still don't have enough talent though. I'm just saying that the teams with defensive length give the Warriors the most trouble. When it comes to putting together a team around that, those players are typically either centers, stars or 3&D players....which ones are easiest to acquire?

#28 heypartner, Oct 18, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  9. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I've been getting some heat lately... ;)

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  10. Daddy Long Legs

No one who studied under roshi is a bad person. He only accepts the best. If you completed his training, im sure that you are as pure as goku :p lmao

RudyTBag likes this.
  11. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Yup. It would be nice to have Kevin Durant knocking down some post up 15 footers for us to diversify the offense, but we don't have that luxury right now. CP3 and Harden needs to be enough for the time being. (I'd love to see some more CP3 postups as he gets a little older)

I'm not sure who might be available, but one more guy to vastly diversify the Offense even more has got to be on the horizon. I think Cousins fits like a glove.

12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Warriors would have won if we took more threes.

We would have lost if we took more mid range 2s.

13. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I swear.

All night every time they shot a 2 I was like "good". I can live with them shooting and making that 2. It's when they make a barrage of 3s that kill you.

They get up 17(like they did this game) so quickly because hey can come down and make like 5 3s in a row and get stops on the other end.

That is devastating and hard to keep up with.

Limit them to more mid range and protect he rim a bit and it keeps you in the game.

D-rock, Reeko and RudyTBag like this.
  14. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

OP doesn't understand the concept behind 3s/layups orrr....?

10 or so, 12 jump shot 2s seems enough on a given night to keep a defense honest. Putting emphasis on more beneficial shots though, it almost seems obvious. An 18ft jump shot is the worst shot in basketball. It's almost certainly contested and is worth less than 3s/layups. Unless you have the talent like Harden, Paul, Durant, etc to knock down that shot with better than 50% consistency, it's a bad shot.

If follow the numbers though, there is always a point where things can flip back to the 2 pointers. The whole concept is that shooting better than 33% 3s is better than 50% 2s. But there's always the catch that makes are better than misses, so of course at some point making anything is better. But if you had someone making 80% of their 2 pt jump shots, you probably aren't going to ask them to do something else.

RudyTBag likes this.
  15. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Exactly. Chris Paul for instance, needs to get in there and be our main mid-range guy. I would have no problem with him shooting 6-8 floaters/Mid jumpers every single game. In fact, it would probably help us out a lot.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

[​IMG]

There is some merit to the MidRange

Rocket River

17. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Yeah, the warriors took more mid range and they lost, despite having a higher FG%, FT%, and 3PT%.

BigMaloe, ApacheWarrior and D-rock like this.
  18. photojoe

photojoe Member

Just looking at shot chart and percentages is only a portion of the story.

We also had more rebounds and less turnovers, leading to more shots overall (87 vs 82)

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

What we made 4 and one long 2 that was intended to be a 3, and we beat the best team in the league. Seems like an odd game to beat that drum.

20. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Of course, offensive rebounding (and rebounding in general) is the only way this team can beat the warriors when they are hitting their shots, like last night.

Even then, we still made a concentrated effort to get to the rim instead of settling for long 2s, and that resulted in 26 free throw attempts for the whole team compared to the warriors 16.

BigMaloe likes this.