1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TPS: 10 NBA Players That Should've Been Better - Guess who's #1

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by plutoblue11, May 28, 2017.

1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

2. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

why the **** is yao number one? i thought you meant harden or tmac. yao tried his best. harden and tmac havent.

3. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I think it's disingenuous to include players who didn't reach their max due to injury like Yao, Hill, Amare, etc.

4. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

clickbait thread, burn OP at the stake.

mdoggnic likes this.
  5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

That's the only info I can find about TotalProSports. Also, there is a link on the bottom of their site to "write for them".

[​IMG]

6. JeanPi

JeanPi Member

I agree about Harden, but T-Mac tried more than Harden.

7. lionaire

lionaire Member

If that's what you doofuses actually think then give me Harden "not trying his best" over T-Mac and Yao trying any day of the week. Harden "not trying" has got us further than either of those two have COMBINED.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I guess harden putting up arguably the best offensive season isn't enough for some cluthfanners

Don't know why I respond to dumb ish

9. JeanPi

JeanPi Member

We don't expect less given that he has had way better teams than Yao and Tmac. Switch Harden with Tmac, Howard or Capela with Yao = profit.

10. RocketsFan92

RocketsFan92 Member

I liked this list until Yao was #1

11. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I'm kind of torn over the list - in one regard Yao Ming could've been multiple NBA champion and possibly a multiple MVP, if he were healthy. I'm specifically pointing to 07-09 years. Where the one injury came during the big winning streak and the other one came in that hard fought playoff series against the *f#ckin* Lakers. I still believe to this day, if he were healthy, the Rockets would've been looking at one or two championships. I think they would've given Boston a better challenge than people think. Remember, the Lakers won the conference on the last night of season with SA and NO, one game behind. Houston trailing by two and losing the home court, because of the division winner rule. Yao only played 55 games that year, while T-Mac only 66. Add 5-10 games for T-Mac or 5-15 games for Yao. Is it not fair to say that Houston is easily a 61+ win team?

Let's skip to 2008-09, the Rockets are cruising through the playoffs without T-Mac and lose Mutombo in the opening first round game. Worst possible outcome, Yao's playoffs end with a broken foot. The undermanned Rockets still take the Lakers to Game 7. Give the Rockets healthy (and checked-in) T-Mac and/or healthy Mutombo. Are they not back in the NBA Finals again with much better team playing against a weaker team in Orlando?

On the other hand, Yao already accomplished alot for NBA players, like Grant Hill and Penny Hardway, who were all essentially perennial all-stars barring injury.

#11 plutoblue11, May 28, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2017
    Easy and BigShasta like this.
  12. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Really? T-Mac and Yao had comparable talent around them, IMO. Yao, T-Mac, Battier, Scola/Hayes, and Alston/Brooks was a very solid staring 5. What really limited those teams was that Yao and T-Mac had trouble being healthy at the same time. However, even when they were healthy together, they got bounced two straight years in the first round after being up 2-0. When you go up 2-0 two years in a row and can't get the job done, that points to mental/coaching issues more than lack of talent.

Zboy likes this.
  13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

OK. But can we have Mac and Yao with Gordon, Ryno, Nene, Beverley, Ariza, Lou, Parsons, Howard, etc instead of Bowen, Head, Hayes, Alston, Padgett, and Stromile?

Or is that too complicated for these types of discussions. :cool:

DudeWah likes this.
  14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Thought it might be Jeremy Lin

Seriously though. Most sports science geeks swear by Anthony Bennett being the biggest bust of all time for being a #1 pick. Yeah he was a shock to get drafted 1 overall but him not even making an NBA roster at this point is amazingly bad.

BigShasta likes this.
  15. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

**** dat.. It's T-Mac that should of have topped that list. TMac paid these mofos to take his name off the list. I'm guessing at least $100k went to the editorial that makes almost no profit to begin with. Conspiracy!!!!!!

#15 Liberon, May 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2017
    Mr Chuck Norris likes this.
  16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Didn't Charles Barkley also say that Yao would never score 20? He was hardly a bust. Busts don't make the hall of fame.

Wait...
    [​IMG]

17. Newlin

Newlin Member

Well, it's not enough. Basketball is played on both ends of the court.

Player that should have been better? John Lucas.

18. Mr Chuck Norris

Lol right? 29-8-11 Runner up for MVP. When his team was expected wi win 41 games TRY HARDER. LOL SMH

BigMaloe, darksoul35 and Patience like this.
  19. Mr Chuck Norris

THat's why he got so friendly with ESPN. For that HOF bid.

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

They didn't have Scolandry in 2007.

2008 was Adelman's first year and Yao was out of the playoffs. Injuries and talents did play an important part of why we couldn't get past the first round.

The 2009 team was special, though.