1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Toyota Tacoma/Nissan Frontier

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by outlaw, Nov 14, 2000.

1. outlaw

outlaw Member

anyone here own or have test driven either one of these small pickups and what do you think of them?

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

outlaw: I own a Toyota PreRunner - essentially a Tacoma with a larger engine and bigger wheels. I test drove a Tacoma before I bought the PreRunner and here's what I can tell you.

I love my PreRunner. It is killer. I really liked the Tacoma as well, but I needed to get an automatic because my wife doesn't drive stick and we both drive this truck because of our business.

If you get a 4 cyl, DO NOT get an automatic. I drove that version of the Tacoma and it did NOT drive well. If you need an automatic, get the 6 cyl.

The 4 cyl stick drove great - just like most trucks.

I was debating between the Nissan and the Toyota but the fact that Toyota's, if you care for them, last about 1,000 years was what won me over.

If you can, get an EXT cab. You will not regret it. It really makes a huge difference in the space you have and in, believe it or not, the way the truck handles.

If you have any specific questions, let me know. [​IMG]

------------------
    Time for a new cause.

3. outlaw

outlaw Member

Hey Jeff, I appreciate your response. I am leaning towards the Toyota also because of reliability, as i own a Corolla right now. I do like the Nissan's front end better though and I think it's less expensive so I'm not sure just yet. I will think up some questions to ask. Thanks again for your help!

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

No problem. It is all in what you like. You can go to Toyota's website and they have a side-by-side comparison of every model of Toyota to every model of every other car and they are very fair in terms of comparisons. Check that out as well.

------------------
    Time for a new cause.

5. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

outlaw,

my wife had a nissan truck that was from about '86 (her parents now drive it). In college, it made the Houston-New York trip many times and never had any problems. It still runs well today, actually - has about 200,000 miles on it.

I don't know about the current incarnation - Frontier- but the old one could definitely be called reliable.

I do have a soft spot for Toyotas, though - my fist two cars were Toyotas. Now I have to drive a Honda and miss the good old days!

------------------
    EZLN

6. outlaw

outlaw Member

Jeff, did you get a Double cab or just the Xtra cab?

which one do you guys think looks better?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

outlaw,

If I were to get one of those trucks just on looks alone, I'd go with the Frontier. It wins hands down on looks, to me.

But, if I were buying a truck, I'd definitely look at many other aspects... as you seem to be doing.

------------------
    "I have a DREAM.........his name's Hakeem."
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Nissan definitely looks better. Nissan trucks are reliable, but then so are Toyotas. I owned a Toyota Camry for about 10 years, drove it into the ground and then bought a Nissan Maxima. Both were very reliable cars. I've put about 85000 miles on my Maxima in about 3.5 years and the only unscheduled repair I've had was a replacement headlight bulb about a month ago.

If you're looking for nothing more than value, I can't see the Tacoma beating the Frontier.

Here's a link I found for you that has a discussion (like a bbs) about the comparison you're looking for. There are about 129 responses to the guy's initial question of whether he should buy the Tacoma or Frontier. Hope it helps :

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/engaged/edmund.cgi?c=Pickups&f=0&t=2025&q=0-

------------------

A friend of mine graduated from law school in May, and he's had a heck of a time finding work....He might be a moron, though. (I don't think he is, but one never knows. He was a moron when we were five years-old.) -- mrpaige reflects on his friends

9. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Looks are subjective; I like the Toyota

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

The Toyota you have pictured is almost my exact truck. Mine has the chrome step below the door but, otherwise, that is it color and all.

I never cared for the look of Nissan's. My truck is the Xtra Cab, not the double cab. I needed bed space as much as cab space and that double cab really steals the bed space.

------------------
    Time for a new cause.

11. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

I'd go for a vehicle in the Daimler Chrysler family instead.

------------------
    MOO

atheistalliance.org

12. outlaw

outlaw Member

No thanks Dean. I had a Jeep Cherokee once. Nothing but problems.

13. outlaw

outlaw Member

I just went to my local Toyota dealer. The 2001 Tacoma has a much better face than the 2000.

Jeff, have you tried sitting anyone in those jump seats in your xtra cab? i can't imagine sitting back there myself. worse than coach class on an airplane.

14. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Do you like to have alot of space in the back? Cause if you do then the frontier is not for you. Inside you got alot of space but the truck is not a big truck.

------------------
    Lets Tank it Baby!

15. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I have not ridden in the Xtra cab section though others have in my truck. It isn't great but it serves its purpose.

I needed it more for storage than for passengers, so it wasn't particularly important to me that it was comfortable.

------------------
    Time for a new cause.