1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Towed! I need advice from clutchfans lawyers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by kubli9, Jul 10, 2008.

Tags:
  1. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was towed from my own apartment complex for being about a foot and a half into a hashed area. I was forced into it by the car next to me being over the line the night before. This cost me $190 and I really would like to get it back by requesting a hearing over this, but I'd like to know from anybody in the legal field I would have any chance of winning. :mad:

This is the picture the tow truck driver took.

[​IMG]

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Pay the $190. Find the car that had caused you to mis-park, and set it on fire.

3. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

at least tow driver took a picture he was sorta responisble in that matter... cant blame tow truck driver..

4. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

sorry...don't really have much of a case. Even if you're parked a little illegally...well, that's still illegal. Obviously a dick move on the part of the tow truck driver - but you're going to have to pay for it.

5. lastmanstanding

Whoa, that's harsh. Guess the guy was feeling like making money that day. I doubt you can get your money back.

6. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

If it is on apartment property it is not illegal right? It is just against apartment rules. Your apt probably has a revenue sharing deal with the towing company or something

Complain to your apartment and say you are moving out unless they pay it.

7. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Wow, that is incredibly nitpicky by the apt community. Its not like you parked in the hashed area you were partly in it and caused by the car next to you.
    I would think you have a case if the exact wording of the rule is that you'll get towed if you park in the hashed area without a mention of if part of your car is parked in said hashed area. But I'm no lawyer so wait to hear from the 'abogados' on here.

8. WWR

WWR Member

I can't stand tow truck drivers.

They're like leeches.

They feed off of other people's mistakes.

And your car being parked there is not hurting anyone.

9. codell

codell Contributing Member

Tow truck drivers, as despicable as they are, can not just come out and tow your car at their discretion. So I don't think you should have a gripe with them as they are doing what they were hired to do.

It was probably your apartment complex that called them. Seek reimbursement from them.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I would NEVER drive a tow truck......but.......I would love to own a tow truck company.

:D

DD

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If you get trial by jury you should be able to get a ruling in your favor. Assuming you get humans on the panel. Heres some advice, buy a car boot, and boot your car everytime you park. No one will F with you. You know that sounds cool.

12. Fatty FatBastard

Actually, a lot of Apartment contract with wrecker services, essentially giving them free reign to tow, which is why he probably took the picture. If I were you, I'd take it up with the complex, especially if you are a resident.

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

My exact thoughts about strip clubs :)

14. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Why are you pissed at the tow truck driver? You should be pissed at the guy who parked next to you, or yourself for thinking you wouldn't get towed.

A foot and a half isn't straddling the line....you were in the hashed area.

Wasn't there a Seinfeld episode about this?

15. longhornchampno

A few years ago when I was still a student in UT, I was trying to get into my car when a cop yelled, "STOP! your car has been impounded. You need to wait here for the tow truck to come" (he impounded a few other cars in that block too). Well, I waited. A few minutes later a tow truck showed up. The driver talked to me immediately since I was the only 'offender' there. He said if he towed my car to his garage, it would cost me a lot to get my car back. Then he said he would settle for half of the 'fee'. So basically he had been able to make money because of other people's mistake without having to do anything. He just went there to pick up money because someone else's had parked at a wrong spot.

16. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

what I want to know is why the spot is hashed into the first place. why isn't it a damn spot?

17. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

fixed. dont be an idiot and do it yourself

18. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

[​IMG]