1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Toughen up little campers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FranchiseBlade, May 6, 2015.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Rockets blew it in the first game. They played in a sickening way. They didn't take advantage when they should have.

It was a tough loss. One that needs to be addressed.

But it doesn't have to be the death of the team.

This is a team that fought back all season and despite injuries to almost every position except for Harden and Ariza over the course of a season, our team bounced back and faced adversity so well that they earned the number 2 position in an incredibly tough Western conference.

There's been a lot of praise on the boards for how good the Spurs were, and how good the Clippers are. But guess what? The Rockets finished the season ranked higher than both of those teams.

Also Chris Paul isn't a deity. He's human. Having him in the Clippers line up doesn't mean an automatic win for the Clippers, nor does having him missing for game 2 mean an automatic win for the Rockets.

The Rockets can win with Chris Paul in the Clippers lineup and they can lose if he doesn't play.

Nobody knows what will happen in the future of this series. But after fighting off all the adversity and bad breaks the Rockets have faced during the season, they at least deserve the chance to go out there and show us what they have without everyone jumping off the wagon at the first little sign of trouble.

One game doesn't erase what the Rockets have accomplished during an 82 game season.

Let's give the team the respect they've earned.

4 people like this.
  2. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Well said. I still have no idea why people on here are acting as if this series is over. It is the first game after almost a week off. There is no excuse for their terrible play in game 1 but to act as if the series is over after the first game is the biggest knee jerk there is.

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Please stop asking why people are upset about this game (not you, specifically, but Clutchfans in general).

What possible reason / excuse can there be for not putting in at least 80% effort in the opener of a second round series? Why no killer instinct?

I want the Rockets to win the series but let's be honest about what we witnessed and hold the team accountable in addition to respecting them.

They went through a lot of adversity to get to the second seed - but that only sharpens my curiosity about why they didn't seem to care about that in game 1.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hold the team accountable when their co-star center misses half of the season due to injury while also missing their starting forward for more than half of the season, and their PG for a significant portion of the season, and their 2nd string PF who became a starter for significant time because of injury.

The team was held accountable for that and responded by ending up with a higher rank than the Clippers, and almost every other team in a very talented Western conference.

Holding them accountable means being upset for the way they played that playoff game, it doesn't mean giving up hope and abandoning all your faith in the team for the rest of the series.

I was upset and disheartened after the loss. But the team has earned and proven by their play and ability to bounce back after adversity that they deserve at least a little faith.

5. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

clutchfans reaction if we lose this game:

[​IMG]

6. Nook

Nook Member

This is the second round of the NBA playoffs, the series are supposed to be competitive and close and there are no guarantees. Hell look at the Warriors, they won almost 70 games in the regular season and were held to 39 points in the first half last night and now have lost home court advantage.

Game 1 was a game for the Rockets that you REALLY want, but the fact the game was close and the Rockets lost should not be shocking. This is nothing unique to the the Rockets either. The Clippers lost twice at home against the Spurs last series and the Clippers came back from a 3-2 deficit. Each game is a serious battle.

This idea that the Rockets lost momentum in this series is just not true. Momentum ebbs and flows in the NBA. If the Rockets win the next two games, they will have momentum. Hell, look at the last round of the playoffs between the Spurs and Clippers. The Spurs had momentum, a 3-2 lead going back to SA and lost. It happens. It is a 7 game series and when you have two competitive teams, there is a really strong chance momentum shifts. Look at the GS/MEM series... the Grizz looked like toast after game 1, now they controlled the pace of the game in game 2 and have to be confident.

The Clippers have played together longer than the Rockets. Paul and Griffin and Jordan have been together for years. The Clippers also have more playoff experience. Paul/Griffin and Harden/Howard cancel each other out. That leaves guys like Jones/Ariza/Smith against Jordan/Reddick/Crawford to determine the series.

1 person likes this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Every time the Rockets lose this is pretty much what the GARM becomes.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TaUUYV7wKos" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  8. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

Going to game 2 tonight. Havent been to a playoff game since like 96. I can accept losing but man I hope they bring a proper effort.

9. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I don't know if it was rust, nerves, or what, but we can't let that lackluster effort happen again. We had the opportunity to put a stamp on Game 1 without Paul. Hopefully he doesn't play tonight and we crush them. We need our mojo back.

Also, anyone else notice Harden's stepback hasn't been very consistent the last few months? I really feel like his legs are dead. Maybe another offseason in the gym will help keeping his endurance up. He expended far more effort on the court this season, as he played much harder on defense and had to pickup for missing bodies. Not a knock on Harden whatsoever, his shot just seems short, and my guess is that has something to do with his legs.

That's why it could also be nerves. Legs felt like jello. Harden doesn't like to push things, which makes his 9 turnovers look even worse. However, we need him to be in a groove and we can't wait till the 2nd half for him to turn it on. I'd like to see him play a little more "selfish" this game, ie drive with a vengeance.

10. TMilner

TMilner Member

Remember the etymology of the Rockets word "Clutch" as in Clutchfans. The Rockets have come back from losing the first two games at home in a playoff series. You got to believe. !!

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I posted this in the photoshop thread but it might be better here.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. rocketman72

rocketman72 Member

THIS. Top album.:cool:

13. joeson332

joeson332 Member

It's a 7 game series that is true, not acting like the series is over yet but what we saw from them Monday was just the worst. These are pros, they should already know the task in hand, even without CP3 they should have known this Clips team was going to come out with everything it had, thats the part that strikes me wrong the most. There was no sense of urgency from the 2nd quarter on. But its done though, you have to take care advantage tonight otherwise you're going to LA down 0-2. Series still wont be over but you just digged yourself a hole you dont want to be in,

14. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

To reiterate, the problem isn't that they lost, or that they lost to a CP3-less Clippers team, it's HOW they lost. The last 2 minutes were inexcusable. You can't just give up like that.

That being said, I expect this team to come out swinging in game 2 and pop the Clippers right on the god damn jaw.

15. CertifiedTroll

The issue isn't that people are displaying that they are upset, it is the lack of maturity by posters.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Spot on!

"Even if we win the championship . . . they can't repeat" - Uber Emo Downer Rocket Fans

Rocket River

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Could not agree more. The negative nancies may eventually be right, but the whining and moaning after 1 game in a best of 7 series is a bigger choke job than the stinker the Rockets put out in game 1.

Just can't stand quitters, and this Rockets team may not rise to the occasion a game here or there, but this team does not quit. They deserve the benefit of the doubt, they more than earned it this season.

18. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Exactly.

The thread title Toughen Up Little Campers was enough for 5 stars.

19. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

Great post!! I haven't been able to stomach much on this forum since the game 1 loss because of all the negativity.

It does my heart good to know we still have true Rocket fans here.

20. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

All i want is better effort! Make me forget game one Rockets!!!