1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tough game - proud of team, but where are our shooters?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Apr 27, 2008.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The Rockets play hard, and for the most part they play together as a team, but this team still lacks the most important thing to winning basketball.

A good shooter. Someone that can knock down an open jump shot on a consistent basis.

We have too many high volume low percentage shooters....and it chokes the team to death.

I know Novak can shoot, but can't defend.....so until the Rockets get a player or two that can contribute on defense AND hit a decent percentage, they are going to continue to struggle.

JVG said it best "This is a make or miss league" and right now the Rockets have too many missers and not enough makers......

I hope Morey goes out and finds players that can make shots......AND shoot free throws ( I mean come on fellas there is no one guarding you at the line)

Shooting kills.......as does a lack of shooting.

This team and their effort deserve to be rewarded, they play hard, tough basketball, but just can't shoot straight - very difficult to watch.

I still contend that Utah is not as good as people are saying...and are not really a threat to any of the top teams in the WC....too bad we don't have the shooting to put them in their place.

DD

2. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Nursing injuries.

3. DaDakota

Yeah, I know, but our percentages are just not good, and not sure how injuries excuses missing free throws or wide open shots.

I just think we have the wrong mix....we need some attackers/finishers and a dead eye shooter or two.

DD

4. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

wish we had kyle korver

5. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

I hear you. But any chances of being sharp kinda dwindle a bit when an injury is in the back of your mind... even at the line.

McGrady taking a cortisone shot during a game for a knee, has a knee and wrist taped and wearing a compression sleeve on a shoulder...

Skip having a hammy needing more rest, injured right before the playoffs...

Shane with a bad ankle...

There's three of the best, potentially best, shooters right there...

So given the odds, they're still out performing.

I look for B-Jax to be traded this summer...

6. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

They are on other teams DaDakota. Just wait until the off-season. Morey will continue Operation Get More Talent.

7. TiMacManiaa

TiMacManiaa Member

yeah we all saw what happened last year

mike james,francis and bonzi

HOURRAY

8. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Morey proved a shrewed GM in picking up landry and scola this past offseason, I'm sure he's already prepared for this offseason. I'm looking forward to seeing who Morey goes after this offseason, with the expiring contracts and excess bodies the team has right now, there are going to be lots of options for Morey.
    I just have to say it again, Mike Miller would be perfect for this team.

9. dookiester

dookiester Member

im pretty sure we were all elated to find out stevie franchise would be coming back and mike "microwave" james as well. both those guys should have been huge for our bench and ability to score, but they both fizzled and came up short. don't fault morey for bringing in 2 guys who would've been perfect for this team if they did their jobs (or didn't get hurt).

the guy did get us landry, brooks, and scola. and ill let the mike james and francis deals slide since francis was low risk and we quickly corrected the mike james mistake by dealing him away for bobby's expiring.

10. DaDakota

Exactly, with the Rockets salary cap situation you have to take on some risk to try to get better.

Hopefully with all the expirings in place for next year he will really pull something off...

DD

11. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

Until Novak learns how to defend, we have to wait till the offseason =(

12. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

i agree that novak needs to know how to defend, but korver was never a good defender and still isn't. but somehow utah can mask his weaknesses with their fouling scheme. it's unfortunate the rockets don't cheat the way the j*zz do so we can have novak on the floor.

13. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Good thread.

We just need somebody who can shoot the ball like Novak or for example Korver but can also play defense because you don't wanna give up on defense to upgrade offensivly.

I think Utah improved a lot with that Korver's trade. They are not great shooting team (from long range) but Korver fits them reall well adding that 3pts shots

14. thiuronium

thiuronium Member

Bobby was 1-10 with decent open looks.

15. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

tmac: bad shooting year but it's worse with the shoulder AND knee
    battier: no lift b/c of his leg
    alston: bad shooter anyways but worse b/c of hamstring
    luther: 0% shooter in the playoffs
    novak: no D -> no play

yao is not playing. what's worse is 3-4 of our main guys are not even close to 80%. i'm pissed off b/c of all these damn injuries.

but on the other hand, you're so proud of them for taking a fully healthy team that is more talented and making them work their hardest to beat us (with some luck from the refs).

i can talk to my friends who other non-rocket fans and be proud of this game and their effort.

16. DaDakota

I agree, the Rockets compete very hard, they are just short handed due to injuries and lack of shooting ability.

But Barkley was talking about how good Utah is....I don't see it.

Outside of Williams, and possibly Boozer, they are just not that talented.

Okur is easy to shut down, just stay on him on the perimeter.
    Boozer seems to be way worse that last year, and less aggressive
    AK47 is a good defender but spotty on offense
    Brewer is another AK

And their bench is a bunch of role players...

There is no way they can compete with the Lakers and Spurs.....probably not the Suns or Hornets either...

Utah is just not that good.

DD

17. YugoRocketsFan

We need Mike Miller!!!!

18. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

I totally agree. But Charles just loves Utah and hates Houston...

I feel like Jazz played a lot better last year. This year it is all about Deron. Of course Korver gives them a lot off the bench but Boozer has been easy to shut down

19. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

The few shooters we have were practicing for a basketball game; but unfortunately the refs thought it was an MMA match....

20. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

I agree, if we could have picked up Mike Miller with expiring contracts when Memphis was unloading, we'd be in much better shape. I realize that's part of why Morey converted what we did have (James/Wells) into something he could use next year (BJax/Francis), to grab that kind of deal.

And yes, we ARE injured, and playing way above ourselves, and still every game is only a few points apart.

But, to me, the most obvious thing is our free throws. If we'd have hit our free throws at the clip we did during the earlier part of the streak, we'd have won every game so far.

... and that is very correctable.

The one game that we hit them at a better clip, we won.

They should have Calvin Murphy in there with every one of the guys practicing between now and the next game, and getting them consistent. If we did that one simple thing, we could still win this series, and not have to "wait until next year."