1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Tough Decision. Advice anyone?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dreamshake, Aug 16, 2000.

Tags:
  1. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Ok heres the situation. Trying to keep it short.

1. I work in a retail job. I was helping out a customer. Joking around with her, she was a young girl, who paid with credit. In appropriation with her own Joking, I said. yeah, I better get an Id to verify this is your credit card. In a complete joking and sarcastic tune. Cause you look kind of shady. She had no idea what shady actually meant. She thought it meant poor, or a thief. I had to actually define it to her, and she was embarassed that and claimed I was wrong that it meant poor or a theif

2. Got a stunning phone call later on that day. A lady out of the blue asks me If Im that F***ing Chinc that works there. She continues to degrade my race, till I have enough of it, and say, what a loser, you redneck.

3. Second call comes in. I know right off the bat it has to be the husband or boyfriend. "Ummmm, yeah, Ummmm you got any ummmmm sales going on?" Knowing this was a plot hoping someone else gets on the phone and he was with the lady, I was ultra polite, and said yes. He asked me if I was Mark, I said yes, who are you. HE was stunned that I asked him that. (not a very bright guy) At that point the lady was on another line, and and blurts out. "Damn it Tom, way to go" And hangs up

-At this point these people are nobody to me. I have no idea wha their problem is.

4. Get a call from the original girl who didnt know what shady meant. Saying she is upset, that I considered her poor, or a thief. I apologized if that is how she felt, and went on to explain once again that we were both joking around and nothing was meant by it.

Put it all together. The first call I got was MOM. Second one was DAD to see If I really had an attitude problem (which I was really nice to him and his daughter even before I knew 1 and 2 had anything to do with one another.)

Mom recorded our conversation and went on to call my corporate office, and play the part where I get fed up and call her a loser. Im sure she didnt play all the parts where she degraded my race. My direct supervisor and I spoke, and he knows that they are liars, because we caught them in several differing stories, and flat out lies. FLAT OUT impossible for me to even do something lies.

He knows it, and realizes that they havent probably played the tape where they harrased me with racial slurs. But....

They want me to come in on my only day off this week, a day where I would have to bring in my child. Sit in front of this lady, and apologize. Lets see...Lose my job or with daughter by my side, say "Yeah honey, your a chinc get used to it. Daddy is agreeing to this because hes a spineless whimp and these biggots are going to get their way"

Now normally Id just walk out. Not even worry about it. Except my wife is pregnant, and about due. And it is a well paying job. Well enough that I didnt pick up health insurance and planned on paying for the pregnancy out of pocket, and have been saving to do so, but not well enough that I have this massive savings outside of my wifes maternal care, delivery, and time off of work covered. The company is worried because she is threating to sue.

Sue for what. For harrasing me, for degrading my people, for having a dult of a daughter in 12th grade

My supervisor thinks I should just bite my toungue and move on.

I told my supervisor that I would apologize to her as soon as she apolozies to every minority she ever insulted as a bigot.

So what now? Lose my job, or bite my tongue.

Any advice people?

I swear this is a true story. It almost doesnt sound it.

------------------
    "I have amazing, powers of observation"...Pink

[This message has been edited by Dreamshake (edited August 16, 2000).]

2. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

I always thought is was "chink"....

JUST KIDDING!

Man, that is a tough decision to make. But, I think in your situation (baby on the way) you should apologize for calling her daughter "shady". In all fairness she may have taken it the wrong way, but you did say it. It sucks to have to take all the **** the girls mom dished out on the phone, but as I've said, "People are inately evil.". Keep your dignity by apologizing for what you did that was innappropriate (regardless of intent, it was still not something you should say to a customer). Make sure you onlyp apologize for the "shady" remark. Don't get pressured into kissing their ass.

GOOD LUCK

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

3. Dreamshake

Let me make one thing very clear here. The daughter was the one initially joking about being a thief, and that I better watch her. Thats when I said the Shady remark. Complete with rolling eyes, and the understanding that in meaning alone it was continuing her own joke.

I would have no problem apologizing to the daughter. NONE. But so far Im not convincing myself of dragging my daughter into work, and apologizing to MOM too.

But I appreciate your advice Dreamer.

Anyone else?

------------------

4. outlaw

outlaw Member

talk to a lawyer.
    since your company is so afraid of lawsuits maybe a threat of a wrongful termination suit might at least delay your firing until after delivery. good luck to you.

5. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

This is really bizarre.

From what I understand, they really want you to go under.

I'd say that they would actually be satisfied if you did not apologise. You would get your ass booted, and they wouldn't care. I mean, what's an apology from a "guy like you" anyway? They don't respect you or your race, no matter how you look at it.
    So, in my opinion, you should kiss some serious ass! You heard it right. Just flatter them and say how "sorry" you are. Don't go sarcastic, as they'll probably catch on if you do. After this, they have but no choice to fully forgive you.
    Try swallowing your pride in front of these people for the sake of your family. At the same time, you will not lose dignity in the eyes of those you actually care about, as they will realize the type of game you're playing with the idiots.

------------------
    Nederland 2002 Qualifying Campaign (Damn those penalties!!!)

Houston Rockets Space Center- Not just another ClutchCity.NET clone. We're that and more! :)

6. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

What utter bull****.

This is what's wrong with America today. There are so many uneducated, racist idiots running around who are constantly on guard for the slightest sign of personal attack.

I would certainly not apologize to her. She's probably thinking, "Ugh! A stupid chink called me a thief! I'm not taking this crap from a lousy chink!" She's not worth the time.

Also, I suggest you bring a dictionary along with you and cleanse her ignorance:

shady

1. Full of shade; shaded.
    2. Casting shade: a shady grove.
    3. Quiet, dark, or concealed; hidden.
    4. Of dubious character or honesty; questionable. See Synonyms at dark.

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition

There is no way that the word could be interpreted to mean "poor." "Thief" is remotely possible, but is still stretching it. An appropriate synonym would be "mysterious."

I would not give the b**** the satisfaction of an apology. It's just so ****ing ridiculous. Of course, the choice is yours.

This type of crap makes me glad I live in Canada, where people aren't so god damn uptight.

------------------
    My dream job is to be a Houston Rockets towel-boy.

7. Dreamshake

Outlaw. I thought about that till I sat down and thought that they probably would have a right to do so for calling the Lady a loser.

Everytime I feel like I may just say funk it and apologize, I look down at my daughter and say no way. What would I tell her to do if someone degrades her later on in life. Apologize for standing up for her self, her dignity, and her race? Tell her to swallow her pride, and just deal with it? No way, Ive put up with that crap for 26 years. I understand I have a responsibility to my family. Just the shear thought of it makes me boil.

------------------

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Buddy, I feel for you, but your choice seems obvious to me. You have to apologize. there are no ifs, ands or buts about it. You are not in the wrong, but you have to ensure your future child and spuses health first. There are ignorant people in this world, yes. But right now you HAVE TO put taht aside because you certainly have more important things to worry about. I know you dont want to teach your child about not standing up forherself, but you have to make achoice. This way you teach her about the importance of family, about responsibility and priorities. I would suggest looking for another job immediately though. Obviously, you cant do this as well as you could if you had free time on your hands, but you should definitely do it anyway. You need to keep working until you can find another job that can support you. At that point, you should quit though, certainly. But you have to suck it up now and jus tmove on from this incident.

As a side note, I really think people are too easily offended these days. The slang word shady is used up North all the time, at least in Philadelphia, and it is no big deal. Everybody is shady in one way or another.

------------------
    Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women!

9. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

hmmm, did you really only call the mom a redneck loser or are you just toning it down?

Apologize to the daughter.

Just say " I'm sorry I offended you. It was not my intention. "

Don't even look at the mother. Don't respond to her at all. And, does your daughter have to be present at the time? Can't you have one of your colleagues watch her in another part of the store while this is going on?

I would not want any child around people like that.

------------------
    I am so exasperated that I could expectorate.

10. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

oh yeah, you could also buy them a dictionary.

------------------

11. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

FACT: You called the girl "shady".

FACT: That word is not complimentary it is derrogatory.

FACT: An employee of a business should not call a customer "shady".

OPINION: Because you were joking with the girl you had no malicious intent behind the word. But, there's always the possibility that someone can take what you say the wrong way.

I say take responsibility for what you said, but go no further in apologizing to the girl's family. You cannot lose any dignity for merely apologizing for offending the girl. Wouldn't you like for the girl's mother to apologize to you for offending you? I realize what she said was worse, but the outcome "being offended" was the same.

I understand your aversion to apologizing, but you need the job, and you did say something innappropriate.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

12. Brad

Brad Member

Dreamshake- I certainly understand the situation that you currently find yourself in. I worked in the restaurant business for many years and had to deal with plenty of moronic people. Those of us that have had the "privilege" to work in the service industry were taught from day one that the customer is king. It is often a hard pill to swallow especially when you feel like you are in the right. I had to swallow my pride plenty of times for the "good of the company" or to keep my job. I don't regret it one bit. It doesn't make you less of a person to bite your toungue on get on with your life.

The problem here is that this is a win-win situation for this woman. If you get fired she will be happy. If you quit she will be satified. The same holds true if you apolgize. Whatever decision you make this whole mess will be over for her soon. However, the decision you make might affect your family for quite some time.

The way I see it, you have to do what is right for your family. Eventhough this woman has insulted your personal pride, your choice affects more than just you.

It is a shame that this country has become so uptight that we have to choose our words so carefully. Thats just the way it is. It doesn't really matter what you said to the girl or even what you meant, it is her perception that is the issue. It's not unlike most sexual harassment cases.

I realize that this woman offended you, but if you think about it that was what she was trying to do. She used racial slurs to ellicit a response from you. She only wins if you let her remarks get to you. She has no power unless you give it to her.

Anyway, thats my two cents. BTW I wish you would rethink the insurance thing. Take it from me, you never know what might happen

------------------

[This message has been edited by Brad (edited August 16, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Brad (edited August 17, 2000).]

13. Dreamshake

I apprecitate all the feedback...

Crisco. Nope that was it. No toning down needed. Believe me, If I had more to say then I would have no problem explaining it here. No one here Knows me.

Jayz...Like I said, I have been leaning that way at times. And let me say now that I dont mean this as an offense to ANYONE in advance, but I feel as if I were a black man, and this woman called me the N word, then there wouldnt be an issue with me saying something back. You know I may only be partially Asian, but the fact that she found it offensive that I jokingly called her daughter shady, yet found no problem calling me a chink is the utmost hypocracy.

Dreamer... I realized this before I found out that the first two calls were her parents, and apologized to the girl exponentially to begin with. The thing is I am being asked to not only re apologize to the girl, but to the mother also. I have stated that Even through all of it Id have no qualms about apologizing to the young girl again (even though she lied about several things).

Ohhh forgot to mention also that this woman is going to be allowed to do business with us at any time she feels, they will not tell her to take her business else where. This kinda flabbergasted me. Ive seen people thrown out of the store for much, much less. I was told that she didnt do anything to warrant not being allowed to patronize our business again. And if needed to be, I would have to help them again.

Talk about a slap in the face.

My wife and I spoke, and she is quite adament that I not apologize, or even endure the disgrace of being forced into the same room as this lady. She says that she would rather struggle month to month for a good while before making me wipe that ladies ass. Her words exactly.

Hmmm.

Anyways, thanks everybody for the input. I dont have long to decide. Till Friday as a matter of fact.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dreamshake (edited August 16, 2000).]

14. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

ugghh

what a lack of respect for you! Even if you do apologize, I also think you should search for another job.

------------------

15. Robert Snyder

Robert Snyder Contributing Member

'Shake--

Since you have heavy family obligations I think you should apologize. However, if you have to bring your daughter to work w/ you hide her somewhere. Don't let her see the outcome to this bigotry and idiocy.

Ufortunately, pride and dignity has to be swallowed sometimes.

Rob

------------------
    visit my website @ http://home.icq.com/bayoucitybob/

1999-2000 Sportscaster of the Year @ KTXT-FM, Lubbock

16. dc sports

dc sports Member

OK.

1. Recognize that you were wrong. It was a joke, and everyone makes jokes, but obviously she didn't take it the way you intended. Obviously, you shouldn't have sunk to the level of the mother, even though she was very wrong -- not at work. So there's no harm in apologizing for what you did do. There's no shame in that, we all make mistakes -- but I take it you know that.

I think they were also very, very wrong, especially the mother. But keep in mind she's a mother hen coming to the defense of her daughter -- a feeling I'm sure you can understand. The daughter probably didn't give her the full story either, so she might not fully understand the situation. (Racial remarks are always wrong.)

2. Your bosses were placed in an awkward position. They recognize that what you did was wrong, and they want to defend you, but not your actions. My take is that they value you as an employee, but they feel that their hands are tied. The name of the game should be to diffuse, but they are confusing that with getting the customer's approval.

No offense to them, but it doesn't sound like they have a lot of training appropriate for their position. I don't think they are reacting right, or taking the right action. Especially if they feel you were in the right, they should try to stay a little more neutral, and not show so much fear of "being sued." And they should know better -- no lawyer would take a suit like this, and what, exactly, would be the charge?

But you can probably use that fear, and that desire to avoid an awkward position to help you out. You can help them out of the jam.

I work in a very customer service oriented business, with a lot of employees that deal with the public under less than ideal circumstances. As a general rule, if someone is unhappy with an employee, the first thing we do is separate the employee and the customer. No matter who is right, the stress and anger are still there, and it's not appropriate to put either in a position where these feelings could be stirred up again. You want to diffuse the situation, not allow it to get worse.

Personally, I think your bosses should do the apologizing, and all of the talking with the customer. Putting you in a room with them isn't appropriate at all -- it puts everyone in an awkward position, and the only good thing it does (for them) is to take the burden off of them -- at the expense of making you a target, for three people, not one.

Also, it's against the wage and hours act to discipline employees outside of their normal working hours. It's illegal. And, they can't require you to come in without being paid.

3. They should take control of the situation. If they aren't going to take the initiative, you should try to guide them. Whatever happens, make sure you sit down with them beforehand, and find out what they expect you to do. It wouldn't hurt to get it in writing, if you can without pressing the issue. Don't threaten, just say that you want to be clear, so that you don't complicate the situation more.

I'd offer to write a letter of apology. See if this would be an acceptable compromise. You could point out some of the above, and just tell them that you are afraid that your presence would further anger the parents. Tell them you are willing to accept responsibility for what you did, but that you don't want to put them (your bosses) in the position of dealing with a confrontation.

You can write a letter that apologizes, without saying that you were in the wrong. You can also take more care in phrasing it, and it keeps from giving the parents an obvious target. Not to mention, people tend to believe what they see on paper more than what they are told.

4. If you do have to apologize in person, don't take your daughter. Explain your situation to your boss, and find another way. It sounds like she's too young to understand, but it puts you in an uncomfortable situation.

Keep it short and sweet. I'd write it down in advance, exactly how you want to say it. Review it with your bosses, and get their approval, so that they will have to back you up. Know what you are going to say before you go in, and don't change anything -- stick to the script. Apologize for your actions, but don't offer any explanation, and don't get into a discussion. Don't go beyond your script.

I hate to point to Clinton as an example for anything, but his response to the grand jury questioning in the Lewinski hearing was nearly flawless (for the position he chose.) After his brief statement, in response to any question, he apologized, and didn't get into any details that they could use for ammunition. You acted inappropriately, you're sorry, and the specifics aren't important. Don't give them anywhere else to go with it.

I like the following phrases:
    "I take your concerns very seriously."
    "We try to give excellent service to our customers, and in this instance we failed you. I'm sorry."
    "Thank you for pointing out this problem. This will help me to do my job better in the future."
    "As someone who is a father, I can understand why you would be upset if your daughter is placed in an awkward position. That was not my intent. I apologize for the misunderstanding, and it will not happen again."

------------------
    Stay Cool...

17. dinomonster

dinomonster Contributing Member

Man, sorry to hear about that... As hard as it may be to do, I think you should bite your tongue... Not because she took things to seriously, and didn't know what the word shady meant, but because your wife is pregnant and you'll need that income. Then you should look for another job if you have to see that person again. My mom always told me not to quit my job, no matter how much I wanted to... Until I found a new one.. Good luck.

------------------

18. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

Dreamshake --

DC Sports nailed it right on the head -- our goverment protects you from humiliating situations such as the on you face. You have no obligation to report to work on your day off...so don't.

What I don't understand is what kind of human being, fully aware of the humiliation and degradation a man under his charge (employment here) has already been subjected, would further submit his employee to additional humiliation?

Give your two weeks, dude, and find a new job. We all maybe be just cogs in the capitalist clockwork but slavery's done and gone -- noone desrves to be treated like a dog.,

------------------
    It doesn't matter if I have a signature!

19. outlaw

outlaw Member

tell your story to the National Association of Asian American Professionals (NAAAP) Houston Chapter
    http://www.naaap-hou.org/naaap/
    email: naaap@naaap-hou.org

perhaps an attorney there can give you some legal advice.

20. davo

davo Contributing Member

As hard as it is to take, I don't beleive there is any shame or loss of dignity in apologizing. If you were to quit or get sacked for not cooperating, then you have lost to these obviously ignorant people.

After reading dc sport's advice, I don't have much more to offer you other than:-

1. I disagree about giving no explanation. Whatever form the apology takes (letter, face to face) you should tell them that yes, you acted innappropriately, but the racial slur deeply upset you. This is the year 2000 in America my friend - if a fellow employee had said that to you, they would be gone in a wink. You should talk to your employers before the meeting requesting that they acknowledge that the racial reference by the lady was also innappropriate - if they refuse it puts them in a very precarious position.
    2. Preserve your income and family. Standing up for your principles is great but you have to choose your battles. Just be safe in the knowledge that your moral integrity is still in place. In one way or another, this lady will pay her dues.
    3. You are apologizing for a) a misunderstanding about the reference to being "shady" and b) calling the lady a "loser, redneck" both of which could be construed as being innappropriate in a customer client relationship. By apologizing, you ARE NOT condoning their opinions or doing a disservice to your race.

What intrigues me the most is why this lady wants to meet you face to face. With all due respect, you would think they have better things to do. I'm thinking that the daughter has spun her a very shady story about what you actually said, so don't be surprised if she comes out with something new.

Let us know how it goes.

------------------
    Current Rocket's Salary & Contract Info