1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Toronto Star]Raptors' Garbajosa breaks leg

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by v3.0, Mar 27, 2007.

1. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Too bad for him and the Raptors...

http://www.thestar.com/article/196335

Raptors' Garbajosa breaks leg
    LISA HORNAK/REUTERS
    Toronto Raptor Jose Calderon, left, consoles Jorge Garbajosa after the rookie forward broke his leg after colliding with Boston Celtic Al Jefferson in the fourth quarter of their NBA basketball game in Boston, Mass., March 26, 2007.

With Jorge Garbajosa unquestionably done for the rest of this season, Raptor coach Sam Mitchell is going to have to find someone to fill his starting small forward spot, someone who knows how to defend, plays with consistent intelligence and who can knock down a three-pointer.
    Rookie forward goes down hard late in loss to Celtics, sent to Boston hospital
    Mar 27, 2007 04:30 AM
    Doug Smith
    Sports Reporter

BOSTON–Jose Calderon sat silently at his locker, politely declining comment on the grisly injury his close friend had suffered about an hour earlier.

He couldn't speak because he didn't know how badly Jorge Garbajosa was hurt, how serious the obviously broken left leg and/or ankle Garbajosa suffered last night really is and what the long-term prognosis will be.

It hurt Calderon to see his buddy lying on the court in agony, his screams almost audible over the din of an NBA crowd. It hurt everybody connected with the game to watch the scene unfold.

"My prayers are with him," Chris Bosh said of Garbajosa. "I hope he's okay."

All team officials could say late last night was that Garbajosa, the 29-year-old Spanish rookie who has been such an integral part of Toronto's success this season, was at New England Baptist Hospital being examined by one of the Celtics' team physicians.

But there is no doubt the injury is a bad one, a season-ending one and it cast a pall on a Toronto team that came up with one of his worst efforts of the season in a 95-87 loss to the sad-sack Boston Celtics, owners of the second-worst record in the NBA at 21-49.

Trying to block an Al Jefferson dunk with about 4 1/2 minutes remaining in the game, Garbajosa landed awkwardly on his left leg and it snapped. He remained prone on the court with his foot twisted out at a right angle to his leg, one of the ugliest injuries a Raptor has ever suffered, as his teammates and the Celtics recoiled in horror. Jefferson put up his hands and couldn't bear to look.

Garbajosa was in obvious agony when he was wheeled off the court on a stretcher.

"I really thought he broke his leg," said Jefferson, who landed on Garbajosa as he completed the contested dunk. "When that happened, the first thing that came into my head was, `Why did he jump? Just let me go.'

"They need him for the playoffs, but he's a hard-working player and he's going to try and challenge every shot. I respect him for that. I know we bumped, my leg hit his leg and I looked down and he was just twisted up. He was screaming and I could feel his pain."

Before Garbajosa was injured, there was no logical explanation for what transpired except to suggest the Raptors simply forgot what it is they do so well.

Three nights after their most complete game of the season, the Raptors came up with one of their worst in a display of inexplicable Toronto lethargy at both ends of the court.

In a division game against an opponent reeling from three consecutive losses, the Raptors should have gone out and put them away early and decisively, proving they are worthy of a division title and a top-three playoff seed in the East.

But, no, not even close. They didn't start moving the ball crisply until the fourth quarter, but by then it was too late.

They managed to shoot only 40 per cent from the field; their 19 turnovers tied a season high; and, even though they clawed back in the game in the dying minutes, there was never a moment when it looked as if Toronto would win.

"Nobody played good," was coach Sam Mitchell's spot-on assessment. "We played bad, we had 19 turnovers, we didn't play the way we've been playing. We tried to make great passes instead of making the simple pass."

T.J. Ford, who scored 19 of his 28 points in the final quarter, had a season-high eight turnovers and Bosh, who took 19 shots to score 15 points, had five giveaways.

Toss in a ridiculously ineffective night from the bench – 15 points in total with Morris Peterson going scoreless in seven minutes and Kris Humphries unable to get a point or a rebound in his seven-minute stint – and it's a surprise Toronto kept the final score close.

"We weren't playing our brand of basketball. We were playing a little one-on-one," Peterson said. "When we play simple basketball, move the ball and find the guys in their spots, I think we can play with anybody, but when we don't, we lose to teams like Boston."

2. conquistador#11

:( One of my favorite players on Spain's roster.I hope his rehab goes well and if a video on youtube is made available;I will not watch.My stomach cringed just reading the written accounts of the play.

3. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

I wonder if anyone has broken their leg and not screamed?
    Chuck Norris?

4. Cook1ez

Cook1ez Member

Ugh,sucks that hebroke it.

i like the raps simply cuz they are neighbours toMONTREAL:)

but hey i wish that jorge gets well really quick,cuz even i amrecovering from surgery at the moment.

5. Wangdoodle

Wangdoodle Member

Chuck Norris doesn't get broken legs.

Chuck Norris gives broken legs.

You just made his Christmas list, buddy.

6. aboinamedray

aboinamedray Contributing Member

the video is crazy. everyone who sees his leg reacts to it. al jefferson immediately grimaces and turns away. the whole raptors bench is writhing at the site of it. garbajosa sits up and look at his leg and starts screaming.

7. johnrox

johnrox Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDvUhmMV8eU

8. uchlha

uchlha Member

just me or is it in bad taste to make jokes about injuries like this?

9. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Oh god that was bad. I couldn't watch it a second time.

10. Fuse

Fuse Member

Its horrible... I had a similar accident happen to me, and I haven't played ball since.

11. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

nba already removed it :(

12. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

<div><object width="425" height="335"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/1HfEEO5aGgQBnaXql"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/1HfEEO5aGgQBnaXql" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="335" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object><br /><b><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1jz7h_jorge-garbajosa-leg-injury">Jorge Garbajosa Leg Injury</a></b><br /><i>Uploaded by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/medieval33025">medieval33025</a></i></div>

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It seems like this year has some of the most freakish injuries....

Shawn Livingston
    Tony Allen
    Gabajosa
    Yao

Fantasy leagues have been shook up from all the random hurt.

14. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

That was so disturbing, I had to watch some tubgirl to get it out of my brain.

15. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Oh my, how do you guys have the stomach to watch that???

Man, I can't imagine how it is for Garbajosa to have went through that while I can't even think about it without getting goosebumps!

16. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Sorry for the double post.. but dude you suck! I actually looked up what tubgirl was. DISGUSTING!

17. ThreePointShot

Man, I liked Garbajosa too...

and BTW, that's the same spot Tony Allen got injured, right?

18. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

lmao

What an intarweb rookie

19. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

20. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Nah man, I just don't really look at that kind of stuff. It's just gross.