1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

torn calf muscle

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by leroy, Mar 22, 2017.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm 95% sure I have a grade 2 or grade 3 calf strain. Playing soccer Sunday evening, I felt what I thought was someone kicking me just above my achilles and heard a pop. The cool thing was, it happened as I scored the game winner with the ref about to blow the final whistle. The uncool thing is...no one kicked me and this hurts like hell.

I haven't gone to a doctor because I'm not sure what else they could tell me other than rest, ice, compression, and elevation. My question is, for any of you who have done this before, what else can I do and how long did it take you to get back to being able to run/play sports again?

amaru likes this.
  2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I'd consult with a veterinarian. I wouldn't want a torn muscle to prevent the calf from growing up and providing your family with milk.

amaru, CCity Zero, Exiled and 7 others like this.
  3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

It's always best to consult the bbs rather than a medical professional. You're on the right track.

K mf G likes this.
  4. marky :)

marky :) Member

With the way we diagnosed DMo's back injury, I say this is the #1 source to go to for medical questions.

amaru, CCity Zero, RasaqBoi and 2 others like this.
  5. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

I'm not a doctor, but it sounds like you tore your achilles.

Moleb likes this.
  6. leroy

I know it isn't that. There happened to be a nurse out there that checked. It's definitely in my calf.

amaru likes this.
  7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I didn't know people got hurt from playing soccer.

8. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Bruh... Go to the Dr.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

According to Dr. Google, a grade 3 calf muscle tear may require surgery.

CCity Zero likes this.
  10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

That's basically what they'll do. They may also prescribe you some anti inflammatories and painkillers, but that's about it.

If it *really* hurts and doesn't get better soon I'd reconsider, as there may be structural damage that won't heal or won't heal properly.

leroy likes this.
  11. SuraGotMadHops

When hard soccer flops go wrong.

[​IMG]

12. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

My brother had the same exact injury happen to him when we were playing in our flag football championship. He said it felt like someone had tripped him or kicked him, and he felt a pop in his calf. He was unable to push off or even really walk on it all that well when it first happened, and then the pain got progressively worse until it was basically unbearable. After a doctor's visit, he was told that he had ruptured his calf muscle. It took him about 6 months before he was able to run on it pain free, and 9 months before he felt 100%. I would definitely go to a doctor if I were you.

CCity Zero and leroy like this.
  13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

A friend's cousin had a very similar experience where he thought he was kicked (but wasn't), felt a pop, and endured pain for months.

Turns out it was full blown AIDS

CallMeTheDream and jae713 like this.
  14. Convictedstupid

I had something similar happen. Felt like i was kicked, heard a pop, couldn't walk on it for a few days. I just kept stretching and rolling it out and it eventually got better.

I have to stretch it properly and roll it out for a few minutes before doing anything like basketball or running but really no major flare ups since I started doing that.

It ****ing hurt though.

leroy likes this.
  15. leroy

Got any more? I'll let you know when one is actually funny.

16. leroy

I've had that before. This is worse. I have a foam roller from previous minor strains. Have a feeling this is going to be around for a while...which sucks because not only can I not play, it makes it difficult to coach my son's team.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

you can still coach

[​IMG]

18. leroy

Man was I wrong. Decided to go to the doctor because pain was getting worse. Turned out it is a complete achilles rupture...it is just much higher up than normal. Dr. tells me that the non-surgical option (physical therapy) has the same recovery time as the surgical (3-4 months). Main drawback to non-surgical is that there is a slightly higher rate of re-injury. I think I can live with that because I'm just not wanting to go through surgery again. Naturally, the dr. wants to cut me open. I decided after my last surgery on my knee 5 years ago, no surgery unless it's absolutely necessary. From the research I've been reading, the outcomes between the 2 options are nearly identical.

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Just bite the bullet and go to the doctor. You don't f*** around with injuries like that. Even if the doctor basically prescribes rest, elevation, and Motrin (whatever), at least you'll have peace of mind that it isn't worse. And if it is worse than you're hoping, you'll start out on the right track as far as dealing with it.

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the pop was the key thing that happened. Tore my achilles a couple of years ago, 75% tear so they put me in a boot for a couple of months and now it's pretty much back to normal. Good you got that diagnosed correctly. good luck with it.