1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top US Women's national team players file wage complaint

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Mar 31, 2016.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/01/s...organ-hope-solo-complain.html?ref=sports&_r=0

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Good for them. They definitely deserve better pay. Women's national team is much more successful and has gathered a devoted fan base.

3. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Yup I remember hearing Abby Wambach talk about it. The Women are much more successful in their respective league. Especially winning Olympic Cups and World Cups should def be paid equally if not more then the U.S. men.

4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Hang on, they get paid for NT? I thought they only got what's equivalent to a stipend/perdiem. They don't negotiate individual contracts with the NT. Are they taking into account their wages earned from their image? I see WAY MORE commercials and ads for attractive women players than men. In fact I can't think of any commercial or ad I've seen with a current USA Men's player.

But I agree that the Women are much more popular than the Men.

-edit- I went through the USSF Budget pdf in the article. Last year the Women's NT actually made millions while the Men's NT lost money. I'm guessing the fact that it was a WC year for the women made an impact but still surprising.

#4 ipaman, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Suspect timing of this since the women are coming off of a wold cup and a big win while the men's side hasn't had big tournaments. I bet in 2018 the men will bring in 5X more revenue than the women's side. Fifa is also responsible because their payouts are 40% more for the men's sides but that make more sense. The Women's world cup isn't 1/10 the draw the Men's world cup is. This isn't about sex, it's about eyeballs and ad fees.

#5 REEKO_HTOWN, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  6. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

More successful or not, it's about revenue. Salary should scale with revenue.

On the other side, in professional tennis, women have equal prize money in slams but they generate significantly less revenue. The men are complaining and they have valid arguments.