1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top Ten Yao Ming plays

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zenithnadir, Jul 10, 2011.

1. zenithnadir

zenithnadir Member

From memory Top Ten Yao plays:

10. Over and behind the head pass to Moochie
    9. Block/score/block sequence in the first 1:30 of Yao v Shaq 1
    8. Yao first three pointer
    7. Post up and facial on Ben Wallace
    6. Spin right baseline dunk (choose one)
    5. Fakeout and dunk on 3 Cavs
    4. One hand rebound and putback dunk v Timberwolves
    3. Fast break behind the back dribble and dunk
    2. Back down Shaq spin left one handed off balance layup
    1. Shanghai Shake

2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The play I will never forget was early in Yao's rookie year when he recieved a pass along the baseline and rather than catching it , in one motion slapped it to an open shooter in the corner .... that was something I'd never seen before and havent seen since.

.... Someone find the video of that one !!

3. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

"You can't ****ing stop me" was the apex of Yao's career, when he finally showed that he knew he was a superstar and nobody could stop him.

4. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Your number 3 should have been number one. Never really seen a 7 footer get a rebound then start the fast break him self to finish the way he did.

5. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

So many what if's:(

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tEwgFaFczQc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. rwienert

rwienert Contributing Member

Possible additions.

1. The dunk on Garnett.
    2. The driving dunk against the Knicks....over somebody. He was coming into his own as a superstar at this time.

The one handed rebound and put back against the Timberwolves might be my favorite. To me this really epitomized the kind of unique player that his combination of size and skill might allow him to be. Few players in history (maybe none) have that rare combination to allow that play to be made.

7. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

I remember he had an awesome pass to Scola in one of the playoffs series. Forgot which.

8. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

The moves he put on the pacers were very dream like. I believe it was versus Jermaine Oneal.......

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

He didn't actually rebound on that play, i'm assuming you mean against portland? He got an outlet pass and caught it around midcourt, dribble behind the back and went in for the dunk.

10. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Not really a play, but a moment. Top for me has to be when Yao pulled a Willis Reed/Rocky moment in the tunnel after bumping knees with Kobe, checking back into the game hitting his first shot from the college 3 point line and sealing the game with key possessions. If that's not an inspirational moment that makes you proud to be a Rockets fan, then I don't know what is.

11. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I got goosebumps watching it live, and i still get it watching it again.

12. jlaw718

jlaw718 Contributing Member

Totally agree. That was an unbelievable play that never seems to show up on too many of Yao's highlight vid's. It's totally under-the-radar for some reason.

13. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

For me the Dallas rookie game was my favorite moment. hit 10/11 from field and stripe for 30. He was much smoother as a rookie, but not nearly as strong.

14. Chinahype

Chinahype Member

a pretty recent one, when he refused to go to the locker room against the laker's in the 2nd round and came back and hit a clutch jumper

1 person likes this.
  15. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Sigh...good times.

Hopefully big man surprises us all and shows up for at least one more addition...not holding my breath on it, but it would be something, no?

16. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

For me the two lasting plays are the behind the back fast break and
    Against the Spurs late in the season when he faked the shot and passed to a wide open Scola under the basket for the win.

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That was awesome,a truly defining moment in his career. Alas,it ended so quickly after that.

18. Spankie

Spankie Member

AMAZING. however it was not in the playoffs. It was vs the spurs in 2008-2009 in super crunch time. :grin:

19. tonyt8605

tonyt8605 Member

Yea the Shake was a good move he had and was a game winner once I believe. But I think not to have the dunk over Malik Rose is insane. I mean look at this!

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d4n1clmH_lI?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d4n1clmH_lI?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

20. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Wasn't it also two passes to Scola on consecutive plays in the clutch? That game was awesome.