1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 7 Dangerous Dog Breeds

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by aeroman10, Aug 9, 2013.

1. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

Do you own any of these on the list?
    What has your experience been with these dogs?

http://www.propertycasualty360.com/2011/07/27/top-7-dangerous-dog-breeds

#1 Pitbulls
    #2 Rottweiler
    #3 German Shepherd
    #4 Husky-type
    #5 Malamute
    #6 Doberman Pinscher
    #7 Chow Chow

Personally, I think Chihuahua should be on there. They are little but crazy.
    I have 2 German Shepherds which are #3 on the list. I do agree that they are very territorial and protective but otherwise they are very loving and friendly. Just don't mess with them in their house if they don't know you. I never had any issues with my dogs. They are indoors most of the time, its too hot for them out here and they don't like to be outside for long.

A lot of home insurance companies will exclude these breeds from the policy. Some will not even insure you if you own these. I don't agree with that.

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I think pitbulls are pretty dangerous dogs, but most of the time its due to the irresponsible owners. They know about their aggressive tendencies, but put them in situations that lead to them being put to sleep.

I will say that I am not comfortable with my dog being around them under any circumstances. Thats the only way of preventing disasters from happening no matter how "responsible" the owner thinks he is.

1 person likes this.
  3. Victorious

Victorious Member

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I've been bitten by:

#1 Pitbull (playful nip, but still a bite that drew blood)
    #3 German Shepherd
    #5 Malamute
    #7 Chow Chow

I owned a Pitbull for two years. They're such high-energy dogs that they're bound to get into trouble.

#5 Xerobull, Aug 9, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  6. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

You mean the blacks and Hispanics? I don't even know why anyone would want one of those dogs. Its like you can pick any car in the world for free and you choose an impala.

7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

and here come all the stupid people who think pit bulls don't have violent tendencies and are products of their owners... 3,2,1....

8. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

I know one hippie in Austin who has a pitbull. Such a sweet, well tamed dog. But I still don't understand why you would get one. Its like you can choose any girl in the world and you settle for Rosie O'Donnell. You see where I'm getting at here

1 person likes this.
  9. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

10. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

I don't have much of an opinion since I've never really been a dog owner. Just thought I'd mention this.

My wife works in the Children's Trauma Center at Memorial Hermann. I was talking to her last night, and she said that this summer alone they've had 3 cases caused by attacks from.....yup, you guessed it, pit bulls. Two survived, and one of the two had to literally have his face peeled off so they could adjust bones in his head/around his brain. I can't imagine how those families feel, and if it was their own dog, the pain must be unbearable.

Maybe I do have an opinion. If you want to own an animal, first ask yourself:

1) Can I give it the attention, care, environment, and essentials it needs?
    2) Do I have children? If so, is this an animal a risk to them?

11. Illegal Machine

I've got two Great Danes.

We had a German Shepherd growing up. Totally understand their place on the list. So loyal to family members, but if you're not part of the family, look out.

12. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

and so it begins...

[​IMG]

13. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Ive never understood the..."pitbulls are dangerous because they have irresponsible owners" argument. Well, that's the very reason they are the most dangerous, because they are so vulnerable to creating trouble.

It's not like only irresponsible owners own pitbulls and all the other responsible owners own other dogs. If you have to take precautions and certain measures to raise a pitbull correctly, then that is exactly why they are the most dangerous dogs.

14. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I absolutely hate dogs, but the only breed I can tolerate and appreciate are Labradors. It's just something about how kind and gentle they are.

15. CCorn

CCorn Member

I don't blame he pits, the problem is the dumbest people in the world get pits. I have a few friends that can barely wipe their own ass and they have pits in an apartment. Idiots.

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

We have a Dobie mix. Nicest dog.

She is very protective of my wife though. If something scares my wife while out walking the dog (which has only happened once), our Dobie will protect.

When I walk her, she trots up to the mailman (or any other stranger) and nuzzles his leg, trying to get pets. Not much of a guard dog really. Just a great family pet.

17. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

18. CCorn

CCorn Member

I agree. It's a bad combo. Theyre a breed that's capable of dealing a lot of damage, and the dumbest people tend to get them.

19. WNBA

WNBA Member

I don't find German Shepherd scary or dangerous at all.

I had two German Shepherds. I rode one like riding a horse since age 3. The other one was a retired police dog. Both were very mature, never had any problem except both being too big and eating too much... maybe that's where the trouble coming from.

20. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Well people on Craigslist sell pit bull mixes for hundreds of dollars thinking they'll breed their cute blue pittie mix when it gets big and turn a profit. Instead, they maybe get one or two buyers and still have a litter of four with no homes to go to. So they dump them at the animal shelter. The animal shelter is already filled and has no kennel room for four pups but they take the pups in anyways and then have to put the dogs that are "ugly" but well trained pit bulls that are already at the shelter and move them to an outside town like Kyle or Burnett to see if there's any kennel availability for them there. Usually there isn't so these dogs that are in pet sanctuary in Austin since Austin's animal shelters try to maintain a 90% vitality rate for pet intake and help them find good homes. However cities like San Antonio again because there's just so many dogs that don't have homes put down dogs they get without tags within six hours of arrival at the shelter.

Austin is doggy sanctuary. 90 miles down the road cities like San Antonio are doggy Auschwitz. A lot of these "ugly" "aggressive" dogs are truly good dogs that just never were introduced a good life.

I mean imagine being born in an open field with your other brothers and sisters and no human owners to give you, your mother and your siblings shelter. You're forced to depend on your mother's defenses to provide food and protection from other predatory animals including insects like fleas and ticks and those annoying burrs that are really sharp and pointy and stick to every article of clothing. Food your mom gives you, will likely give you worms. You're malnourished, unvaccinated, and were never trained. You lived this life for a year, meaning as a dog, you may as well be some punk teenager that's been homeless all his life.

One day, you're roaming, doing your dog thing, trying to survive, not paying any people any mind but they see you as a big ugly menacing threat because you're part pit and you were never trained as a pup. A guy with a big metal pole and a metal leash is called in to corner you, scare the **** out of you and cuff a metal leash around your neck as you're forced into a car unwillingly with a total stranger you have no way to communicate with and have no clue if they're safe or are going to harm you. So you bark. And you bark. and you don't stop barking. You're taken to a big fenced in place that will feed you on a regular basis, have volunteers teach you how to sit and be a "good" dog and you'll actually be given small, very small private boarding for a limited number of days which are numbered. As a dog, you don't know it, but you're on display to a bunch of strangers that are looking to take in a family dog when a few days ago you were roaming free in a field trying to survive another day.

Shelter life is the best life you've ever had. You're getting vaccinations. You eat regular meals. You have access to water and good positive people interaction. You meet people like myself and my oldest niece who will teach you tricks and write really in depth bios on you for potential owners that have an interest in you so that they can see past the big scary pit mix face you have and see you for the sweet dog you are.

Provided enough money, an ugly person can get plastic surgery and hopefully look better. An ugly, "scary" looking dog isn't given such a kind luxury and sadly superficial looks will likely be the end of it if it doesn't find a home.

In a way, pitbulls are a lot like poor minority communities. You got a stereotype you're trying to break by showing how incredibly well behaved you are and what you're value is, and all people see is your "threatening" face. It sucks.

Pitbulls were the American dog back in the 50s. The dog breed that attacks the most is the Golden Retriever and little dogs that aren't trained in my experience are worse than pit bulls I've cared for. The only difference is when other dog breeds snap and bite, you may be bleed and it'll hurt, but you'll be okay ultimately. If a pit bull snaps it can lead to worse consequences but I do think it falls on the owner.

2 people like this.