1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 5 GMs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bewy, Aug 9, 2009.

1. bewy

bewy Member

Saw this a bit earlier on lakersground,found it pretty interesting.

http://sircharlesincharge.com/2009/08/04/the-5-most-reliable-gms-in-the-nba/

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

All Hail Dork Elvis!

In Morey we trust!

3. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

He forgot Scola.

4. HPD

HPD Member

Dork Elvis for president

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We only signed Ariza to 3 years? I thought it was 5?

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I like most of Morey's moves so far, but I think the honeymoon period is still going on.

DD

7. Convictedstupid

It is. Did ron sign a 3 year deal?

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

No, Ron was the 5 year deal.

9. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Coincidentally, I was actually planning on starting a thread to rant about this the other day, so I might as well do it here.

For what reason is Sam Presti considered such a great GM? I seriously don't get it. He's just assembled an impressive young, well-balanced starting lineup using his team's annual lottery picks. It would be one thing if he had maneuvered through trades or made unconventional picks, but he's essentially just made the pick at his slot every year that anyone else would have. Sure he has been shrewd in not wasting the team's precious cap space but is that really just how low the bar has been lowered these days? That you get hailed as a genius just for not screwing up like everyone else?

:confused:

10. chosans

chosans Member

Morey definitely deserves top 5 GM status. I think my favourite move he has done so far is picking up Carl Landry out of nowhere. I had no idea how good that kid could become. He has a knack for picking up unknown talents.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm with you. I think Presti has done well so far, but until the Thunder actually accomplish something, you can't give him that much credit. Maybe this is the year they make some noise.

12. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I'll add, despite fear of sounding like a complete homer, Morey should be ahead of Pritchard as well (of course, definitely Presti). Unlike Presti, Pritchard has atleast maneuvered in his acquisitions demonstrating the ability to recognize top talent. Impressive indeed, but how is it more impressive than what Daryl Morey has done? Before last year, the Blazers sucked every year so he had the benefit of a lottery pick along with Paul Allen's willingness to purchase first round picks. Compare that to Morey who also benefits from a gracious owner, but who has to work with second rounders. In addition, Morey inherited NOTHING. The only talent on the team when he came was McGrady and Yao and those two pieces have been good enough to ensure against a steady stream of free high quality assets (ie: we always make the playoffs so he can't stock up on lottery picks like Presti and Pritchard). Shane Battier is the only asset on this team that Morey got for free (ie: with respect to this paradigm, he used the lottery pick from that year to trade for Battier). Every other player was acquired through means he created himself or unconventional scouting. And then last year he loses the best asset he had inherited in McGrady and still had his team win 53 games. Now he's lost the two only real assets he had inherited.

Here's to hoping DM can rebuild this team quickly through trading McGrady (and Yao, I wish), and finally getting the respect he really deserves.

13. dragonz

dragonz Member

Man, the difference between Morey and Sam Presti or Kevin Pritchard is those 2 guys are painting on an empty canvas. Both OKC and Portland team was starting from scratch, while Morey managed to deliver out master stroke after master stroke on a fully painted team without destroy the whole picture. That takes more skills IMO. And because of that, I personally would rank Morey over Presti and Pritchard. Buford has the same quality as Morey, and I think he is the best as well.

14. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Wow, Ron signed a 5 year deal? The Lakers are gonna regret that one..

15. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Well yes and no. Assuming last year was not a fluke, it's a good deal. The problem is not going to be his behavior but his age. I'd almost be happier signing him to the same money but fewer years. I don't think Ron's attitude will be a factor on that team, I think more than anything his skill will dwindle off. If the lakers don't win a ring next year, that contract is going to be much heavier than an Ariza contract with the same length. I'm not saying the lakers should not have a "win-now" mentality, it's just a player like Ron is a "win-right-now" mentality. It's no lie, Ron's skill has been plateauing lately. That fourth year is going to be the hardest year to swallow that contract unless there are some rings before it..

16. clos4life

clos4life Member

Oh my! I really thought it was a 3 year deal for Ron and the Lakers as it was reported. That's a horrible deal for Ron who is already slipping in defensive efficienty.

17. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Good read but Morey is a better gm than Pritchard.

18. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

true that! STELLAR move.

morey is amazing. but there's no statistical data that will help him heal yao and tmac and get those two to stay healthy... until we figure that out, morey better keep making amazing moves cause his luck could run out at any time.

19. justafriend

justafriend Member

I've never understood the wierd stigma attached to Danny Ainge. The C's weren't very successful before the championship, but he made good draft picks at low positions and he made some decent trades to build a 3rd seed in 04-05 to get Ricky Davis, Antoine Walker, & Gary Payton for peanuts.

2003 Draft- Acquired picks #13 Marcus Banks, #27 Kendrick Perkins for #16 Troy Bell, #20 Dahntay Jones.
    2004 Draft- Al Jefferson with $16, Delonte West #24, Tony Allen #25
    2005 Draft- Ryan Gomes with #50
    2006 Draft- Acquires #21 Rajon Rondo for later pick (becomes Rudy Fernandez), acquires #49 Leon Powe for later pick (becomes Aaron Gray)

Then of course, flips all the young talent for Ray (along with Big Baby) and KG, signs Eddie House & James Posey, and hires Tom Thibadeau as an assistant. Of course he's not a perfect GM, but I'd say he's done a pretty damn good job.

20. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

Scola might be Morey's best move. Lowry could turn out to be a pretty good one, too...as could Andersen, Dorsey, Budinger and Taylor.

I think Presti deserves the recognition. There are a lot of teams who are in the lottery every year and none of them have the future of the Thunder. Durant could be an all-world talent and he has some good players around him, for a long time, depending on who resigns. Presti didn't waste capspace to trade for the likes of Zach Randolph or sign players to outrageous contracts(R. Lewis, Hedo, Ben Gordon, etc).

Of course, if Portland had taken Durant and Seattle got stuck with Oden, this could be an entirely different conversation.