1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 10 Players Since 1980

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Jack V, Feb 9, 2013.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

what. Doesn't "two way" mean offense and defense.

If you are honestly saying Duncan is a better defender than Hakeem you are the one overrating Duncan.

It's just incredibly silly to say that.

Hakeem is the best two way big man of all time. Arguably the absolute best defender of all time. With a nod to Russel

1 person likes this.
  2. heypartner

Is this for real? Or are you trolling? If you are not trolling the. This is really embarrassing considering this is a rockets board and at least three people already corrected what

Look up 1986. Ok

And people are saying Hakeem is not underrated when two people here don't realize what happened to the defending champion lakers with magic Kareem worhy in 1986

3. what

what Member

Duncan was/is a better positional defender. Hakeem was better shot blocker/intimidator. I perfer Duncan's defense to Hakeem's. Hakeem was way more flashy, but Duncan's was more effective.

4. heypartner

The OP is 80s and beyond. Kareem wasn't even the best player on his team then. Plus the old man got destroyed by both Moses Malone and a 2nd year Hakeem in the 80s

5. heypartner

Erroneous

Especially considering duncan was too afraid to man up on shaq. Hell Duncan is not even the best defender in spurs history. Robinson and that cheating wing player are

6. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

MJ
    Magic
    Bird
    LJ
    Hakeem
    Kareem
    Wilt
    Oscar
    Shaq
    Kobe

Should I keep going? Goo luck proving he is better than half of those guys!

I have him as the 2nd or 3rd best PF. He's one of the 4 best PFs, in the same group as Mailman, Barkley and KG... But top 5 ever... Please!!

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

You need to stop.

The more you type, the more you expose yourself.

My response to his assertion in another thread...

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=7621955&postcount=22

#87 Zboy, Feb 9, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  8. rocketman4325

rocketman4325 Member

There was a time when many people thought he was second to MJ only.

9. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Uhh Akeem made it there 4 years before Drexler did..

10. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Rudy Gay. /yourpoints

11. jbasket

jbasket Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. lookabove

lookabove Contributing Member

13. jbasket

jbasket Member

[​IMG]

14. heypartner

But Hakeem wasn't guarding him. And you are just talking about one series. Hakeem did 25/14/5/4 on average across three years of playoffs. Not just one series. And more steals.

I've already done this steady of stats many times...Hakeen increase of stats in the Playoff vs Regular Season is off the charts.

Here are Hakeem's playoff numbers.

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=bbr&url=%2Fplayers%2Fo%2Folajuha01.html&div=div_playoffs_per_game"></script>

#94 heypartner, Feb 9, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  15. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

1. Jordan
    2. Magic
    3. Bird
    4. Hakeem
    5. Lebron*
    6. Shaq
    7. Duncan
    8. Garnett
    9. Kobe
    10. Barkley

* Lebron could move up to the top if looking at a span of players from 1980 -2020 seven years from now

Also Durant can also make his way firmly on that last. But as it stands I do not see a way for at least the top 7 on that list not to be a on a list that would be top 10 from 1980-2020 unless 2 more LeBron/Durant types come storming into the league in the next 2 years.

that 10 spot for Barkley could be anyone really - Isiah, Malone (I ****ing hate him but he was one of the best PFs to play the game, Stockton (see malone), Robinson, Kareem etc

I just chose Barkley because he too like Hakeem, Shaq, Lebron etc was a freak of nature in terms of his athleticism. For a guy 6'4 to do what he did (and i dont care of he was listed at 6'6 we all knew he was 6'4) is downright incredible and its highly unlikely we see a player like that in the next 50 years.

16. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

If I recall correctly, there are only two players in the history of the NBA whose playoffs numbers improved over their regular season numbers.

Jordan and Hakeem.

Their regular season numbers weren't shabby either. :)

17. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

Wow!!! Lol. Some of you guys have no idea who Magic Johnson is!! Jeez, there's no one today even close to the winner that Magic was. He dominated without taking a single shot! Just dominated. Wow!! I'm willing to bet that all those who say Magic is underrated never saw him play live and probably didn't watch basketball in the 80's. I mean, it is just my opinion but, wow, there's no way he isn't top 3 in ANYONE's list if you really know about 80's basketball, the Golden Age of basketball. My list:

1. Magic
    2. Jordan
    3. Bird
    4. Hakeem
    5. Shaq
    6. Lebron
    7. Duncan
    8. Kobe
    9. Barkley
    10. Nash

The only one even close to Magic today is Lebron. That's a squad right there! McHale and Clyde were monsters too. McHake was probably better than KG!

18. heypartner

If I recall correctly, Elgin Baylor and (yes Tinman) Tracy McGrady are on the list, too.

19. raskol

Ummmmmmm. No

Lol. Not even close buddy. So who in this crazy athletic league today is better than Jordan?? Lol. I don't think so, homie don't play that!

1 person likes this.
  20. raskol

And he was the MVP of each championship run. All by the age of 21!!!!