1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Too Selfish, Too many Black Holes, Too little defence, Too little Team Basketball

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yetti, Mar 20, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Our Team has fundamental problems! These problems have been evident since the start of the season. Its difficult to know how the Rockets have been so successful when so many players attempt so many brainless shots and turnovers. The team lacks direction, does anyone know exactly what the rockets devlopment plan is? Where is the team working towards? Why is there no Team Defence? Nobody helps out his team mate. Petty Jealousy is talked about openly in the media. If Les wants a great Rox team for his new Arena he has to take control. The Management of the Rockets are to blame for this Jungle which is supposed to be a team playing 'Team Basketball'. The Roster,to have a common goal and a single purpose, needs a serious overhall! Its upto you Les to demand higher standards of team culture from our Roster! The Coaches havn't!!

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

The one and only time I actually agree with a Yetti post! :eek:

This team needs major changes...That five game winning streak was a fascade...

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

How many times are you going to butcher the spelling of DEFENSE. You must have been watching a football game when someone in the stands holds up a D and another person holds up a cut out replica of a fence.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

More specifically, the guard position needs an overhaul.

5. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

From Merriam-Webster:

One entry found for defence, defenceman.

Main Entry: de·fence, de·fence·man
    chiefly British variant ofDEFENSE, DEFENSEMAN

Welcome to the internet. We have people from other countries than America here.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Welcome to every NBA web site, its spelled Defense.

7. MManal

MManal Member

Yetti, fully agree. Ive been saying this since about the 10th game of the season; I think you have actually been saying it since the start of the season. In any case, this is the issue with this team. Like you were saying, it is amazing this team has even had the success they have had thus far with these huge chemistry issues. I think this has occurred b/c the team is stacked with talent (even if it meshes poorly), and Rudy has somehow been able to get them to play solid defense for about 90% of the season. The sad part is that if this team had less one on one type players and more players that could play off the ball, pass, shoot in the flow, etc they would have been a 50 win team this season without a doubt.

8. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

You would actually quote NBA web site over a dictionary?!!!
    This forum is not a place to correct someone else's spelling, but if you were going to do it, make sure that you know what you are talking about first.
    There are different spellings of the word: defense or defence.
    I found them in these dictionaries and many more:

Cambridge International Dictionary of English
    Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary, 10th Edition
    Oxford Paperback Dictionary and Thesaurus
    The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language
    Webster's Revised Unabridged, 1913 Edition

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You would actually continue this argument, I was just giving the guy a hard time, I'm sorry I didn't mean to get everyone's panties in a wad.

10. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I know we need a change, but where do we begin...

Our backcourt...

Our PF position...

Our Mgmt...

All of the above...

I just hate to start over from scratch, but you know what, we're already there...

:confused:

11. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I disagree. There are players on the team who show a commitment to team defense. The problem is that rotations break down when the WHOLE team isn't commited to the team concept. When Cat and Cato help out on defense, all to often it results in a wide open shot by their man because there was no rotation. Strangely enough, those most committed to team defense are the same guys that seem to take the most heat on the BBS. Sometimes we need to look past the surface to find the reason Derek Anderson is draining wide open threes.

12. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

I agree but nothing is changing for the forseeable future, aka, when Steve and Cat get smart enough to use their brains but lose so much speed that aren't very effective any more. Rudy T can't coach them into doing the right thing and we aren't getting rid of Rudy T.

13. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

Steve is actually getting smarter. YOU JUST CAN'T NOTICE BECAUSE CUTTINO MOBLEY ALWAYS FINDS A WAY TO SCREW UP EVERYTHING GOOD WE DO. We need Rudy T.

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great pos. I agree to a large extent. I also think that when one guy is killing us, or the same lapse in our defense is exploited the coaches need to call the team over and make an adjustment. I think that's part of what hasn't happened these past two games.

15. Yetti

pgabriel:- My spelling might be a give away as to where I was educated!

16. Yetti

From last night Game I noticed that Mo Taylor, Ed Griffin, besides the iso plays of the Guards, were playing like black holes, they seemed afraid to pass for a more open shot at the basket. Did anyone else notice this and also the inside outside game, which last week showed signs of catching on was almost non existant. Is it possible that we have not been aware of the very important role of Developer/Controler which Rudy T. plays?

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Don't say Mo Taylor doesn't pass around here. You must not have seen what happened to me.

18. story_teller

story_teller Member

I agree with LiTtLeY'. Francis has been playing some ball and it's clear to me (would be clear to some others here if they get their heads out of their as*es) he's learning and showing a commitment to learning.

Mobley is so bad right now that it looks on the surface that it's both he and Francis -- the back court.

Remember, guys, when Mobley was out for five games and the Rockets went 41 against the Pacers, Kings, Spurs, a crap team and someone else, I believe. I don't remember for sure, but we played EXCELLENT ball against really good teams when he was out. It was really the only time as well we got to see the Franchise & Dynasty show in effect! :D

If you just build around -- get players that FIT (not ball hogs that think they're great) -- the Center and PG, Yao and Stevie, this team would be GREAT in no time.

19. Sane

Sane Member

I'd rather have MoT be the blackhole than Cuttino Mobley, Glen Rice, James Posey, Eddie Grififn, and even a NOT-aggressive Yao Ming (which we have seen lately).

I'd like to see 3 people in the offense:

Steve, Ming, and Mo. That's it. Glen takes open 3's from kickouts, and Mobley plays defense and tries to score off cuts and stuff.

Why? Because Mo and Ming rarely shoot below 50%, and when those guys play well, Steve's numbers are damn near 50% too, and with many more assists.

Enough of this crap with the young players. Start Rice and Mo. Play Griffin off the bench so he doesn't worry about fouls, and gets a lot of blocks, play Posey off the bench for energy, defense, and steals.

Our defense is decent, but for the personnel we have, our offense is absolutely sickening. MoT, Rice, Moley, Francis and Ming, a poor offesnsive team? Somethign has to give.

It's time to change to this:

Yao
    MoT
    Rice
    Posey
    Francis

Bench: Cato, Griffin, Mobley

Mobley is the scorer off the bench, and I'm saure we can somehow keep EITHER Mo OR Yao on the floor at all times to have a post presence with the second unit.

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

I totally disagree that Francis is getting smarter. He has always been highly skilled, athletic, and talented. Smarter, NO. There is no evidence of that.