1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Toddler dragged into the water by an alligator at Disney

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HoustonTexas, Jun 15, 2016.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was at disney last month. Didn't see any alligators.
    a bunch of people dressed up as other animals though

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I love Disneyworld. I'm not scared of being eaten either.

3. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Tragic for the family.

At some point in life, you can't always blame someone for every accident. It doesn't matter that it's a man-made lake or a Disney resort. It's a body of water and a wild animal. You can't prevent that unless you prevent everything from entering the water. Disney is going to give the parents a blank check because they can and it's a PR nightmare, but I don't think they did anything wrong. Nature gonna nature.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, internet loves blame game, but having tried to keep up with a 2 year old and knowing so many friends with toddlers, my heart goes out to the family.

No amount of lawsuit reward is going to bring back their little kid. And they'll be haunted forever thinking of the way the kid died, alone, underwater and in pain.

By the way, have I mentioned I basically hate all reptiles with a fervent passion? All of them. And there's an evolutionary reason for that, clearly. ****ers.

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Gator do sometime make it out to the ocean and gulf. Resilient creature.

Walt Disney Man Made Lake... yea, I wouldn't personally let my kids near any swamp looking water, but I can understand people who do not grow up in the southeast US thinking Walt Disney resort's man made lake and beach is safe.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Was at Disney last week and literally had the conversation with my wife, my sons and our friends about whether there were alligators in that same lagoon while we crossing it on a big boat. So eerie to see this happen less than a week after that conversation.

7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

There is no blame here so folks need to stop trying to place it. It's a horrible accident and a reminder that nature knows no right or wrong.

8. Newlin

Newlin Member

I understand what you are saying, but not everyone knows these things. I was playing golf last year here in the Houston area with someone that was visiting from up north. She went looking for a golf ball in some high grass near a pond, and I told her to look out for snakes. She jumped back and said she wasn't even thinking about snakes.

Furthermore, the signs at Disney said no swimming, it wasn't a warning about dangerous wildlife. The beaches around this pond are groomed and meant to be used by the guests for relaxing and sun bathing. I'm sure many people have probably waded a few feet into that pond. Not really swimming, but just getting their feet wet.

I think many people who see the no swimming sign are probably thinking swimming is not allowed because no life guard is watching over the guests. They may not be thinking about alligators.

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Very tragic. Orlando seems cursed right now..

10. PhiSlammaJamma

Very Sad.

Having lived in the everglades for a large part of my life as a child, there are Gators everywhere down there. Had three of them lounging in my back yard at one time. I did not believe the signs for a long period saying that alligators were nesting, and then one day you realize oh yes they are. Came face to face with one in a drainage pipe, it snapped and like in the movie ET, I ran one way, and it ran the other. And it was fast! I took way to many liberties as a child in those everglades. Only had one friend get bit in his driveway because the Gator was under the car, but he was in the hospital for a long time recovering.

11. dragician

dragician Member

first gorilla, now alligator. what's next, dinosaur?

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

On a related note Clutchfan Rhester who lives off of the Brazos River said he had a gator in his backyard last year during the flooding.

Unfortunately his house got flooded again this year and it sounds like a total loss so gators are probably the least of his worries.

13. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Wow, we were there end of April to beginning of May. Where we stayed, they had a beach, but my kids (5 and 3) played in the sand.....nowhere near the water.

We stopped at the Grand Floridian, but didn't see any of the water on that resort.

Wow, my heart goes out to that family..... :(

14. HoustonTexas

HoustonTexas Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sheriff on <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/DisneyGatorAttack?src=hash">#DisneyGatorAttack</a>: &quot;No question&quot; the family will lose their 2-year-old child <a href="https://t.co/IgfiTDOxKi">https://t.co/IgfiTDOxKi</a> <a href="https://t.co/1uRMAOwUYR">https://t.co/1uRMAOwUYR</a></p>&mdash; The Lead CNN (@TheLeadCNN) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheLeadCNN/status/743113456358809601">June 15, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So sad

15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't mean to be insensitive and this may be stupid question, but if the father saw the child being eaten by the gator then what are they looking for?

Also, what should someone do in a situation like that? Try to ride the gator and hold its mouth shut? I'm sure that's near impossible but I guess if it's a person I'm trying to save, I'd try anything.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What a tragedy. An incident like this even being possible would not have occurred to a family staying at a Disney resort, especially a family from a state like Nebraska. Did the signs say, "DANGER - DON'T GO NEAR THE WATER - POSSIBILITY OF ALLIGATORS!" I doubt that. Just horrific. We raised two kids ourselves. What the parents must be feeling right now breaks your heart.

#56 Deckard, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  17. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Ugh, any remains for a burial is my tragic guess..

18. BleedsRocketRed

Ban alligators!!

What a horrible way to die or see somebody die. I cant even imagine what the family is going though right now.

19. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Happiest place on earth!

20. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Lol Gators Lives Matter

I want to blame Disney, I really do, but I don't see any negligence on their part.

Sure there shouldn't be a gator in that lake but guess what it's Florida! I'm sure Disney would have removed the gator had it known it existed. Truly an unfortunate tragedy.