1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tobias Harris turns down $80M extension

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jul 22, 2018.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It's just an age thing to me. Gordon might still get a bit better. But right now I think Tobias is the better scorer. Meaningful difference in 3 point %. Tobias was at 41% last year, Gordon at 33% or so which make him a PF that can shoot threes but isn't quite a weapon there yet. I think Tobias is ht better ball-handler/creator at this point.

But they are indeed very similar players.

As a 3rd option on a winning/championship level team, I'd feel more confident with Tobias right now, but either could be that I think, with both needing to work on providing more - more rebounding, defense, leadership and consistency.

2. Raz

Raz Member

Correct move. Why would he accept $80M? Harris will be the first option for the Clippers next season, probably have a career year. He'll receive $100M+ offers next July 1st straight at midnight.

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Gordon basically improved his game every year, last season especially, and he can still improve his handling and offensive game overall, obviously there's no guarantee he will, but the fact that he did it every year makes me think he can continue to do it, and he's only 22. Harris has been the same player for years now, he's good, better scorer and shooter than Gordon as today, i agree, but i think he has no potential left, less of a team player, weaker defender, meh passer (while Gordon is also getting better here)...i think he's more of a Melo kind of player to me. I think if you just want shooting and scoring you take Harris as today, but if you want the better player at this point, you take Gordon, and that contract is very interesting.

4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oh I agree. But I'm a real estate agent. I can tell you from experience that it doesn't matter how well I know the market if my clients just don't get it and don't care what I have to say.

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Great point.

Also, I hope you don't approach things the same way that NBA agents do. :p

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Tobias Harris turned down an $80 million extension offer from the Clippers this offseason. It was a strong offer from the Clips, but Harris and his representatives declined in hopes of being able to increase his earning power with a strong 2018-19 campaign. "For myself and my representation, we looked at it. We did really process it to make that decision," Harris said. "At the end of the day, it is $80 million. But for me, it’s more of going out and earning what my value is. It has nothing to do with me figuring out what the Clippers are doing or things like that." - The Athletic

#46 J.R., Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    Vivi likes this.
  7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Wait -- does this mean JR has a subscription to The Athletic. @Deuce

[​IMG]

Deuce likes this.
  8. farhen

farhen Member

yeah do it on 2k where everything's possible

9. Deuce