1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To workout or nutrition gurus...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by robbie380, Aug 27, 2012.

Tags:
  1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

For pretty much all my life whenever I try to do weight training I start yawning and eventually end up with dark circles under my eyes and feel like I am going to pass out after a decently hard workout. This has been a pretty limiting factor with my motivation to weight train consistently. Even my drive home from the gym was hard. I almost felt like it would have been a good idea to have pulled over and laid down in my car until I recovered. I ended up making it home, but I just laid down on the floor with my legs above my head until I recovered. Took a good 30 min before I felt better. Granted, I'm not in great shape right now, but even when I was in really good shape it would still be the same.

Anyone have any suggestions what might be going on or solutions for the problem? It seems as if I can only control it somewhat if I make sure to eat like 5+ small meals thru the day, but even that isn't a surefire solution.

2. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

If eating throughout the day is what helps, it sounds like it might just be your blood sugar tanking. Maybe drink some fruit juice or something after workouts?

1 person likes this.
  3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

yeah that's what i did when i got home. i haven't tried it during workouts though. i also made sure to have some food and a protein shake before i worked out as well.

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It could be vasovagal. You could be working out so hard that you're overwhelming your nervous system and it just starts to shut down as a response.

1 person likes this.
  5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I'm not working out that hard though. When I do jiujitsu or played soccer or basketball I use a hell of a lot more calories. I did see someone on a random message board mention that maybe it could be my breathing.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Have you had a stress test done before? It may well just be blood sugar.

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I haven't and I guess I will pursue that next.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

from the yawning, sounds like you simply don't like weightlifting all that much. maybe choose another activity that builds muscle instead

1 person likes this.
  9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I'm not a huge fan of weightlifting, but I've changed my workouts so I like what I am doing. So it's not a boredom yawn. Most of my dislike for weightlifting comes from feeling like complete crap near the end of my workout and for about an hour after.

10. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Maybe conditioning is an issue? Don't start out at hour long workouts, start at 20min.

1 person likes this.
  11. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

What's your diet like currently? How out of shape/overweight are you currently? How old are you? Does this happen before you start lifting? During?

My first thought was your sugar tanking as well, but give us more info.

1 person likes this.
  12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

my first thought is that you're "bonking" in your workout due to lack of calorie consumption throughout the day. I'd try to pre-workout energy drink and for sure a post-recovery workout drink (try to get a 4:1 carbs to protein ratio if you're lifting). I don't normally do a pre-workout drink but always a recovery drink if I lift.

1 person likes this.
  13. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Looks like you aren't getting enough fuel for your workouts.

1 person likes this.
  14. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

Your overtraining robbie. Try to reduce the weights but add more reps. Don't ever forget to focus on your breathing. Many neglect this that is why the benefits are not optimum. Sleep well also.

Why do you workout in first place? There lies your motivation.

1 person likes this.
  15. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

Sorry. That should be you're. Zzzzz.

16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

thyroid issues?

1 person likes this.
  17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Robbie, if you don't mind, list your workout(s), including the number of sets, how much rest you take in between sets and what total time it takes from beginning to end. Do you warm up with pre-sets or a few mins of cardio?

1 person likes this.
  18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

This happened to me 2 workouts ago. It happens when you don't cool down properly (blood pooling). I felt I was going to pass out driving. Got home took a cold shower and drank a cold soda.

1 person likes this.
  19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

So I'm 32, 5'10, and 185. When I am in shape I usually weigh about the same. I actually might weight a little more due to muscle. I'm not in great shape and my cardio is basically limited by my knee which has had 4 surgeries. I can exercise about 3 days a week. Hopefully, I am looking to get in some swimming into my routine to help out with cardio. I am still currently rehabbing my knee from my last surgery 3 months ago. Also, this crash happens only near the end of weight training workouts.

My diet is ok. I'll usually have a Odewalla bar in the morning and snack on whatever random stuff around like lately cereal, peanuts, and dried cranberries. I'll have whatever for lunch. That whatever usually consists of a sandwich, random restaurant food brought to the office, or maybe a soup and salad. Sometimes I'll end up skipping lunch at work cause it's complete crap taste-wise and health-wise. If that happens then it can throw off my eating schedule and I might end up not eating a full meal until much later. I'll generally try continue smacking if that does happen. I also will try to avoid working out if I don't think my diet has been good enough for me to be able to workout without a crash.

Anyhow, dinner is almost always the most calories I get in a day. I'll usually have salmon with vegetable pasta and veggies or an avocado a couple nights a week. Other nights I may get like a foot long sub and chips, some bbq, Chinese, food from la Madeline, I might grill a steak....I dunno nothin too consistent outside of the salmon or sub.

I have no idea how many calories I consume a day but I generally regulate my eating based on if I pigged out or not the prior day. Overall, my diet could certainly be better and more consistent but it isn't terrible and I have changed it a lot in the past 5 years since I can't be as active.

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I don't do heavy weights and I already do high reps...generally 15 to 20 per set. I workout to get my knee rehabbed and to try to help stay in shape some and maintain some strength until I can hopefully get back to Jiujitsu after my knee and leg muscles are rehabbed.