1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To the People of Texas & All Americans in the World

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by justtxyank, Feb 25, 2015.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Commandancy of the The Alamo

Bejar, Feby. 24th. 1836

To the People of Texas & All Americans in the World—

Fellow Citizens & compatriots—​

I am besieged, by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna — I have sustained a continual Bombardment & cannonade for 24 hours & have not lost a man — The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise, the garrison are to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken — I have answered the demand with a cannon shot, & our flag still waves proudly from the walls — I shall never surrender or retreat. Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid, with all dispatch — The enemy is receiving reinforcements daily & will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five days. If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country — Victory or Death.

William Barrett Travis.

Lt. Col. comdt.​

P. S. The Lord is on our side — When the enemy appeared in sight we had not three bushels of corn — We have since found in deserted houses 80 or 90 bushels and got into the walls 20 or 30 head of Beeves.

Travis​

I'm a day late in posting this. May history forgive me.

1 person likes this.
  2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

You were late like reinforcements. Thanks for posting!

I love the beeves at the end. It's like one last cry of "TEXAAAAAAAAAAS!"

3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I'll be back there on May.18th for our anniversary. I can't wait to see what Mr. Collins left on the table for the world to see.

Long live Sam Houston!

4. Buck Turgidson

Contrary to popular belief, there is a basement in the Alamo, 2 in fact. They are not open to the public.

Factoid of the Day.

1 person likes this.
  5. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

They need somewhere to stash Phil's artifacts. ;)

6. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Swoly D faints.

7. body slam

body slam Member

8. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

buck turgidson... ruiner of childhood dreams.

in any event, glad that there's going to be a sequel/reboot.