1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To tank or not?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Rock MVP, Nov 30, 2011.

?

Should we ....

1. Tank and get a top 5 pick

145 vote(s)
    68.7%
  2. Risk it and make playoffs at 8th seed or get 14th pick

66 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

IMHO People are seriously talking about giving 10+ million to Nene or significant money to Tyson Chandler. That is great but these guys are average centers at best.

Nene is NOT the answer. He may be the best option available, but adding him to the current team is not the answer to win a championship. We will end up using the Amnesty on him in 2 years if we do not use it before that. There is a reason Denver was known for all offense and no defense.

Tyson Chandler is better than Nene in my opinion since he provides defense down low that we sorely need, but the dude is old. He was huge for the Mavs but they had Haywood to take minutes off Chandler if needed. Chandler cannot be playing 34+ minutes a game for us.

I think the only solution is to tank to get back to the promise land of playoffs quicker. The teams that have made recent turnarounds like Clippers (Griffin and Jordan) have done it through the draft.

Lets assume we get the 10th pick on average and the projected knicks 20th pick.

I say we use the 10th pick to hope either Jared Sullinger, Harrison Barnes, Terrence Jones, or Perry Jones and Anthony Davis and use 20th pick on the position we don't draft (Michael Gilchrist if we go Big or Tyler Zeller if we go SF)

I just want to know if people actually think going to the playoffs as an 8 seed or getting the 14th pick is still worth it.

2. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

I meant tank to get top 5 pick not 10!

3. clos4life

clos4life Member

Tanking is for losers and no way DHoward comes here next year or anybody of note for a tanking team.

Teams that tank stay stuck for years there. There are many teams that have rebuilt on the fly, tanking is only good when there are Lebron's to be had and you suck already.

4. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

This sure is a topic that hasn't been covered in another thread in the GARM.

5. Raven

Raven Member

Dwight isn't coming here, so it's irrelevant what he thinks.

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Best thing possible is, Lowry, Martin, Scola all get mildly injured, Coach just shuts them down for the rest of the season. We get first pick. Come back and contend in 2 years

7. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Trade our veterans. That will do the tanking for us. While adding draft picks and young players

1 person likes this.
  8. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have little interest in watching this year. This should finally be the year LeTampon gets it done in Miami. Oklahoma City is a young powerhouse. We have a chance with Dirk, Duncan and Kobe facing future retirements to beat those guys to the rebuilding process in a DEEP draft.

9. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

The problem with not tanking is: superstars don`t come here in FA - and in trades they are not willing to sign an extension early. So our only way to land a superstar is either draft one, or sign/trade for a young player that dissapointed and hope he can turn it around (think Thabeet or T-Will).

I don`t like tanking - in fact I hate the thought of it. But I fear the alternative is being mediocre for the near future.

And on another note: there are not many teams that won a championship without a high draft pick - and the ones that did either could sign/trade for big players or just had great chemistry and great clutch players.

10. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

People like this should be stripped of poll making abilities.
    What the hell is this? What kind of poll is this?

What about no seed and 10th pick
    What about 7th seed and 16th pick
    What about 6th seed and 17th pick
    What about 5th seed and 16th pick
    What about tanking and get a pick between 6-10.

You assume that it is black and white. Either tank or 8th spot.

Useless, because it creates a biased response that does not answer the question that was ultimately posed... to tank or not to tank? If you want that question answered, you just go straight to the point!

2 people like this.
  11. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

Seriously.... think before you critique.

I only picked a solid pick because I wanted to spark a discussion about how tanking can get us a solid player. You think after the 5th pick, the players I mentioned would be available. NO! How many players after the 5th pick have become franchise players? Not Many!

People like you who try to find things to say to make an thread lack credibility are pathetic and should be stripped of insulting other posters.
    What the hell is this? What kind of comment is this?

12. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Why must folks keep starting these tank threads. There are enough threads about tanking as it is.

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

2012 draft class is one of the strongest draft classes since 2004.
    We finished last in our division.

We fit both categories.

14. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

Last, in the best division in the NBA by far. We would have been second in the Atlantic, Central, and Pacific divisions. 43-39 is not the record of a bad team.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

How about not tanking sneaking into the 8th seed...and having no first round pick (protection is gone and the Nets get it) thus continuing the spiral of mediocrity? :rolleyes:

16. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Yes. Tank...or trade to to get a few first round picks. We do not need to sit with mediocrity.
    There are a few big men in the draft that could give us the building piece we need. Let's stop thinking about getting into playoffs and think about what we need to win that ring. the only 2 free agents in that 2012 draft I would be interested in are Paul or Dwight. Both whom I don't see joining us. let's look into the draft get ourselves a really good player.

17. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Shorter season, loaded draft, TANK! Think about it, more than half the teams in the nba make the playoffs. If we haven't been able to do that, then we need to rebuild by playing our young guys, and trading away vets for more young guys and picks.

18. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Name these teams in which you speak of that "rebuilt on the fly". I'm curious

19. Know Your Role

Does no one listen to Rockets News conferences when they reveal their goals and priorities for the season? At no point did McHale or Morey give even a hint of 'tanking' right now. Morey did say if there are major issues with the team and they need changes they can't get in FA or Trade. Regardless of everyone's opinion until they say things are changing, we are going to play with the core we have. Deal with it. When they stop saying playoffs are a goal and you hear words like rebuilding then you can conclude they will blow the season. That is not the current plan nor should it unless what we have cannot work.

I'm not saying tanking is a bad idea but its useless arguing about it when they said yesterday that was not going to happen. They want to see how a team that ended 21 and 12 last year will do this year. So do I. On that note I'm going to listen to Rockets PA announcer yelling CHHHHHUUUUUCCCCCKKKKK HAYES and get ready for 6'6" rim protection.

20. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

How stupid these tanking threads are. Rooting for your team to lose. :rolleyes:

I don't even know how the Rockets would go about tanking. Tell the players to miss their shots? Tell the coach to play the last guy on the bench the entire game? I don't think the coach or players would go for any of that, so this whole subject is stupid. I'm sure the loyal season ticket holders would be thrilled to see the Rockets trying to lose.:rolleyes: