1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To get the story correct

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets R' Us, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Why did Hakeem finish his career in Toronto? Did Steve Francis have something to do with it? I am thinking about it, but it is not coming to me. Thanks in Advance.

2. AGBee

AGBee Member

3. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

I don't believe Steve had anything to do with it

4. Win

Win Contributing Member

Though mostly washed up (as exhibited in his last year in Toronto) Hakeem wanted the big $$$ and playing time. The Rockets DID offer him a fair contract so that he could retire gracefully in Houston, but he opted for the $$$ and dashed across the border.

It's too bad things ended on a sour note. Hakeems pride was hurt as is so often the case when a superstars career winds down. He was and STILL IS THE MAN where Houston sports are concerned.

5. codell

codell Contributing Member

According to what Hakeem said, he wanted one last shot at a ring.

6. alexdapooh

alexdapooh Contributing Member

...with Toronto?!?! He had a better chance of getting that "one last shot" with Houston....

7. codell

codell Contributing Member

I believe Toronto was favored much better than we were going into that season.

8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Hakeem never played for Toronto as far as I'm concerned.

9. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I'm just glad he didn't pull a Malone and sign with the Lakers. I think then I would have puked if Hakeem did that. I think he really wanted some money. He deserved it for some of the years he played for us. If there could have been an under the table deal I would have hoped Les gave him some sort of compensation for the years he won the rings for us. If I'm not mistaken Hakeem wasn't being payed that much when we had him those years.

10. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

*nods*

11. WLH

WLH Member

He thought he could get to the Finals again playing with Vince Carter. I think that was before Carter became injury prone, right?

12. DJ

DJ Member

What is interesting is that Toronto once offered T-Mac and Doug Christie for Olajuwon five years ago. The Rockets, however, chose to be loyal to Hakeem and kept him for another two years before eventually dealing him to Toronto for draft picks.

13. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

... yeah, and the 5/12 picks in that draft, which we could have used to take Shawn Marion, Andre Miller or Richard Hamilton, and Ron Artest, Corey Maggette or Kirilinko...

14. silent j

silent j Member

Hakeem wanted a 3 year contract, Rudy and CD were only going to give him a 2 year deal. I believe it was understood that Hakeem would not be playing the last year of the contract, only getting paid the extra guaranteed money. Rudy only thought Dream had 1 year left in him, Toronto must have thought they could squeeze 2 years out of him.
    j

15. Just B

Just B Member

Man you people will look for ANY reason to blame Francis for something!

16. buiyahkah

buiyahkah Contributing Member

i think it was something like hakeem took a paycut to bring in pippen and barkley and was expecting to get his money back and then some later on in his career...and when he didn't get it, he left.

17. TraJ

TraJ Member

I thought Charles was the one who took the pay cut to bring in Scottie.

18. buiyahkah

buiyahkah Contributing Member

eh...i guess i was wrong :)

19. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I do not feel that is correct. I would like to see some proof. Olajuwon made $16m in his final season as a Rocket. His expiring contract was where the money came from to sign Mo Taylor, Moochie Norris and to SnT Shandon Anderson for an $8m Glen Rice. As well as (very) briefly flirt with a $14m Chris Webber.

IIRC, Barkley took the pay cut to get Pippen.