1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To DREAMer:

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Caveman, Dec 2, 1999.

1. Caveman

Caveman Member

DREAMer:
    I am not a Hakeem hater, on the contrary, I still think him as a VERY good ball player. I poke fun on you, it is because that you seemly so devoted to him to an extend that it can be considered "Emotional Attachment".
    I hate to see people calling Hakeem to retire, because he really has a lot of productive ball talent left, may be for another 4-5 years. The sad fact is that Rudy and "partially" Hakeem himself still want to use D-I-T to Hakeem as the only way to use his talent. That is why he looks REALLY bad on the court, but it is no way a real reflection of his real game.
    He is actually a better player than Malone. But Malone does not try go one-on two, and he always look and also has helps around the corner. That is team ball, and it makes him look great. Same thing with Stockton. You see Rudy can only coach one-on-one basketall and nothing else, at least that is how it looks like for last four years. If you are not able to take your guy on isolation or double teams, you look automatically bad. That could include 65% all-star players in the leagues. Since Hakeem is no longer able to dominate, that should not make him a bad player. He is still better than Cato. But, that Rudy D-I-T is really doing him a number. So, in a way I am on the same page with you, it's just not that "BLIND". I really believe that Rudy is the root of all Rockets' "ILL". As long as he can't or unwilling to coach a team basketball this team will keep "winning so little with so many". I hope Hakeem will have his happy days back, someday.

------------------
    Rockets' biggest problem is not player talent levels, it is the coach's ineptitude.

2. CaucasionSensation

Wait now you are saying that Hakeem doesn't suceed like he should because of Rudy and that Hakeem is currently a better player than Karl Malone. That's just awful.

3. Francis3

Francis3 Member

That is awful.

4. Jenna

Jenna Member

CS...

I was thinking the exact same thing....

Caveman...

What the #&$@?

5. Caveman

Caveman Member

I am not trying to play a DREAMer, but, yes, Hakeem is a better player than Malone. Better than Cato, better than Robinson, ....., but it means nothing if he is not used correctly. How would Francis be, if he is ordered to post bigger guys in the block instead of penetrating? If you happen to thing Chuck as a great player, what would he be like to shoot threes all the time instead of being rebounding? How about use "Cat" as the shot blocker, and use Cato to do the cross-over dribble penetration? Talent means nothing if it is not put together correctly. HHHHmmmm whoes job is it to put these pieces of talents together?,,,,,,

------------------
    Rockets' biggest problem is not player talent levels, it is the coach's ineptitude.

6. Caveman

Caveman Member

DREAMer:
    One thing is clear, many of these people would throw Hakeem and themself off an plane before they do it to Rudy. Yeah, to them, Rudy is the reason that Houston two RINGS.

------------------

7. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Gotcha.

But, still you get on my nerves, sometimes.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

8. Jenna

Jenna Member

Granted, it is my duty in life to promote Karl Malone, but c'mon, Hakeem is better than Karl? HOW? Really HOW do you come to this conclusion? I would REALLY like to know you're reasoning behind this one.

I've got a 1999 MVP trophy and third place on the all-time scoring list (29,299 points, roughly) on this one....

Oh, by the way, I've got this bridge in New York - near Brooklyn - for sale. You interested?

[This message has been edited by Jenna (edited December 02, 1999).]

9. Francis3

Francis3 Member

This team does better with hakeem out of the lineup. We can run and other players can score. But 4th quarter time is when hakeem is missed the most. We have young players and they are not use to closing games out themselves. We need to do a couple of trades to help out our needs.

Because I dont want to see Hamilton play behind cato for the next 6 weeks. He plays around on the court. He doesnt pass the ball right and he always wants to shoot.

BIGGEST NEEDS ARE ... Getting another center to help cato out.
    Veteran Pg..
    AND WE NEED SOME GOOD BENCH PLAYERS. Mobley is the only one coming in that brings offense. I love what he does and all but I know that when he comes off the bench he knows that he is the only one that can bring offense, so he plays 1 on 5. Carlos Rogers is not playing like he use to. He doesnt go after the balls. He looks lazy out there.

10. Caveman

Caveman Member

1)Hakeem has better mid range than Karl.
    2)Hakeem better shot blocker.
    3)Hakeem has better fade-away move.
    4)Hakeem is taller.
    5)Hakeem has better post-up moves.

But individual talent has no importance here.
    Because Karl has helpers, and Hakeem is stuck to D-I-T. Jazz play team offense, guys get open by moving and set picks for each other. Rockets can only play isolation and hoping to draw double team to get guys open. If Jazz trade Karl to Houston, for Hakeem. Jazz will be much better, and Rockets will be much worse.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Caveman (edited December 02, 1999).]

11. Jenna

Jenna Member

Oh my....

There is no way on earth I can take this semi-seriously, so I'm just not going to say (gesture, or laugh) anything at all.

Excuse me, I just had this urge to wear the #32....

Oh my....

12. Francis3

Francis3 Member

If you want to compare Hakeems prime to Karls prime. THEN HAKEEM IS 10000 TIMES BETTER. Hakeem right now is not better than karl.

13. Finalfantasy

Finalfantasy Member

Sorry, Jazz fan, I think Dream is better than Malone in the past and at present. If you compare it on an age-to-age basis. Malone at 37 will be ruled by young pfs, speed and quickness are big parts of his game which will only diminish as time goes. Same goes to Hakeem but he got two rings so Hakeem is better.

[This message has been edited by Finalfantasy (edited December 02, 1999).]

14. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

For the sake of pissing JazzFan off:

yes, Hakeem is better than Karl Malone.

Hell, Matt Bullard is better than Karl Malone.

15. Caveman

Caveman Member

Here is a list of Malone's one-on-one game.

A 14 feet fade away.
    A middle lane drive to draw fouls.
    A pair of dirty elows.

I think that is it. What else, please add to my list. I dare you to compare that with Hakeem's one-on-one skill. But individual talents are not the most important thing in a team game.

Hakeem looks really bad, that is because of his stubornness and selfishness to force the team to stick to the D-I-T with him as the goto guy. If he was playing for jerry slaon, sloan will tell him to take that craps up to his ****. Causing Hakeem to back down and becoming a really effective player instead of clogging up the lane like a 80 year old.

------------------

16. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

To a certain extent, I agree with Caveman.

If you look at what they can do both offensively and defensively, total package, and past performances against each other, Karl can't carry Dreams jock strap not even if he put it into his 18 wheeler.

You put Malone into this system, he would just SUCK. But, since he is in a system that is predicated on his strengths, then he is still a hell of a player.

This Rocket system is made for Dream when he was in his prime. Now, it should be changed to where Dream can still use what he still has: defense, his jumpshot, the occasional spin and hook shot...stuff like that.

Want to see who is better? When have you seen Malone destroy Olajuwon when they guard each other? NEVER. One on one, who would you think wins? Who has more moves? Even at 37, Olajuwon guards damn near every player on the floor at one time or another. Karl is not quick enough to do that. But he is strong and when you have strength, your skills diminish slower than when you base your career on speed and agility.

------------------
    Live Rocketball. Breathe Rocketball. Die with Rocketball.

17. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

Karl is a great, great player no matter how much we may hate him. At this point, it would be very, vrey difficult for someone to say Hakeem is far and away the better play right now. Likewise, if you isolate the two greats and compare them and take their teammates and system away, then you would be a fool to laugh at the comparison as if Hakeem were Jim McIlvaine. Hakeem is more versatile, but Malone is in better shape (better shape than anyone practically). Malone's jumper is automatic and literally unstoppable, while Hakeem has more moves in his repertoire than Micheal Jackson.

For example, if you were to put each on say, the Clippers, who would elevate his team to greater hights? It is harder to judge Malone, because despite the fact that he is an undisputable hall-of-famer and a leader, we have never seen him without his right-hand man Stockton. Malone has been fortunate enough to be thee recipient of the greatest passer of all-time's passes for over 14 years. Therefore I believe Dream could create his own plays more efficiently and would make do with a sub-par PG In Clipperland than the Mailman.

Back to Olajuwon, if you compare their first 5-7 seasons, I would give Hakeem the slight edge. The next 4-5 seasons, Hakeem by a fair margin. And the last 3-4 season has been Malone. Malone was in his prime a little later than Olajuwon, and that is why he is not that far off from the top of his game. The Mailman can certainly deliver and may be a purer scorer than Hakeem, but the Dream can do that much more (minus the viscious elbows)

Azim da Dream

------------------
    "Change does not necessarily assure progress, but progress
    undeniably requires change."

- Motto of the Houston Rockets

[This message has been edited by Azim da Dream (edited December 02, 1999).]

18. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

I don't know what we are arguing about here exactly, but here is what I think about Dream and Malone:

Karla is obviously the better player now. No doubt about it. He won the MVP award last year. He scored 24 points a game and I think he had like 10 boards to go with that as well.
    Dream is just plain old. He just can't do it the way he used to. He is still a pretty good center, but he can't even compete for the MVP award. His last All-Star game is behind him, also.

When we talk about careers, Dream is the better player...by far.
    Dream was the greatest player in the NBA between 92-96. No doubt about it. His numbers are just incredible.
    He was the complete package. He won the MVP award and Defensive player of the year award in the same season.
    Don't get me started on the playoffs. He alone took us to the championship in 93-94.
    The players he had around him were not even close to being All-Stars or anything. He never had one of the greates point guards in the game to feed him the ball for the easy dunk. Obviously they had their roles, but it was Dream who was responsible.
    Who always chokes in the playoffs and who raises his game to another level once the real games begin?
    Come on, Jenna. You have to admit that Malone is one of the most disappointing playoff performers in the league.
    That's what really separates the greatest from the great. Dream is the type of guy who you know as a clutch playoff performer. Remember the 1995 playoffs? The series against San Antonio? That was just legendary.
    Name one such series or playoff run for Karl Malone. Maybe a game or two, but a series?
    When has Karl Malone dominated the league like Dream has? Never. If you ask me, his 1999 performance does not beat the Olajuwon from 1992-96.

------------------
    Francis+Charles+Dream-Pippen= Rockets 2000 NBA
    Champions

19. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Good evening folks...

Who's better?

Hakeem 2 rings...

Elbow man 0 rings...

nuf' said...

20. Caveman

Caveman Member

To those who think Malone is better, I say you have got the wrong perception. He looks better than Dream is all because each team's system and coach. Can you imagine Karl dominate like he can without Stockton? I say, HELL NO! My original point for this thread is that Hakeem has a lot individual talent left, and the current system is making him much worse than he really is. I only use Malone as a comparison. If you could put DREAM and Karl one-on-one on the court, you would be aboe to see what I am talking about. IN ALL, Rudy and D-I-T to Hakeem suck. And the victim is Hakeem himself. What an irony.

------------------