1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tmobile and Comcast?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cranberry_Juice, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Cranberry_Juice

Getting sick of paying obscene amounts for AT&T and Direct TV. Any thoughts on switching to Tmobile and Comcast? Good/bad idea?

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I have AT&T prepay data/phone plan which is $40/month for 4 GB and my Comcrap TV/DVR/Internet is $99/month. I have a low tier channel package and 50 Mbps internet.

Cranberry_Juice likes this.
  3. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

I have Comcast and T-Mobile. I used to hate Comcast customer service in the past and swore I wouldn't ever go back, but saving money got to me. I've been a T-Mobile customer for over 11 years, reception has been a concern, but I've managed to live and be happy.

With Comcast, I pay approx $150/mo for cable/internet/alarm. I will say the alarm service has not been satisfactory, but again price has kept me happy.

With T-Mobile, I have 4 lines with their old Simple Choice unlimited data plan (not the throttled T-Mobile One plan out now) and pay $114/mo now. I just got two free lines two weeks ago for my folks.

There have been talks of a Comcast / T-Mobile merger in the past, so it could happen

4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Tmobile no contract is great and they have no data charge for youtube and netflix. Cancel your Directv and switch to any non-contract cable, within a month you will get several offers in the mail (with promotion codes) to come back to Directv on a 2 year. You get one year of a great price but the 2nd year it goes up. Rinse and repeat.

5. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I thought if you have AT&T now they have an offer with DirecTV that price locks you in for 2 years?

https://www.att.com/directv/

6. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

If you have DirecTV and AT&T (wireless or home phone) and aren't bundling or doing any promo with them, you're doing it wrong. Call AT&T retentions and have them hook you up.

Should be cheaper than doing Comcast and T-Mobile separately

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I like T-Mobile.

8. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

If there are better options I would avoid Comcast. Their product is fine/good but they have the worse customer service I've ever dealt with. Their level of bureaucratic incompetence is truly incredible.

Long story/rant:
    Moving out of state for a new job (TN-->TX) in 2014, I had to cancel the Comcast internet service. I called Comcast to cancel the internet. After 30min on hold I finally reach someone to cancel the service. It should have been simple, I owned my equipment and had nothing to return.

Comcast: "Are you sure you want to cancel sir"
    Me: "yes"
    Comcast: "are you sure, we can offer you a discount"
    Me: "no thank you, I'm moving out of the building AND state to an area that isn't serviced by Comcast"

After 15 minutes of continuing to explain that last point, they finally agree to shut off my internet and send a pro-rated monthly service refund back to me at my new address in Texas.

Months later I get a 3m month overdue bill from Comcast at my new address. Calls Comcast back.

Me: why do i have a 3mo overdue bill? I no longer live at that address or have Comcast
    First CS: sorry this must be a billing issue, let me transfer you" --> transfers me

Me: why do i have a 3mo overdue bill? I no longer live at that address or have Comcast
    Billing/Second CS: your account at XYZ address is still active so thats why you keep getting bills
    Me: that's not right, i don't live in that apartment anymore much less that STATE. You guys even mailed the bill to the NEW/CORRECT address.
    Second CS: that's an account/CS issue, let me transfer you back to them --> double facepalm

Third CS: Let me check, that address is showing an active account under another person's name
    Me: Because I don't live there anymore; that's someone else
    Third CS: well your account is still listed as active. it appears someone canceled the cancellation order one week after your initially called
    Me: that's a mistake, it wasn't me
    Third CS: it's saying you logged onto the website and cancellation notice
    Me: no i didn't. why would i do that? I DON'T LIVE THERE ANYMORE. Why do you (Comcast) even wait to cancel the service? that makes no sense.
    Third CS: Some people change their mind about cancellation.
    Me: Well I didn't, BECAUSE I DON'T LIVE THERE ANYMORE.

Long story short, I finally got them to cancel the account (again) and after being transferred back to billing got that overdue bill wiped off. I think they even sent me the pro-rated refund I was supposed to get.

There's a special place in hell/history for that company. I'd rather put my dick in a vice than deal with them again.

9. Cranberry_Juice

I think it is only for new customers. Also I hate AT&T interenet as I can only get 18 mb in my area. I think I pay 60 for it.

10. hvic

hvic Member

I use to have Tmobile and use my cell a lot for work and meetings but the drop calls and horrible reception did not work for me.

11. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I switched to T-Mobile and had no problem for a year or more until my office got moved to a location that has spotty at best T-Mobile reception. Depends on your location. I'm considering taking my T-Mobile phone and going back to ATT. Haymitch's $40 plan would work for me.

12. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I've been using Google's Project Fi since July and I love it. My phone bill went from about $120/mo on AT&T to $40-70 a month depending on my usage. Project Fi uses both Sprint and T-Mobile networks for coverage. https://fi.google.com

I also cut the cord about the same time, and have been using the SlingTV, HBONow, and over the air HD channels through my Xbox for TV. DirecTV's new streaming service seems to be good too. I'll give it a shot when it comes out, as the SlingTV apps leave a lot to be desired.

Overall by cutting the cord and changing my phone service, I'm saving about $150 a month, and I don't miss much. I have CouchPotato for the things that I do.

13. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Try calling retentions, they can probably hook you up with this directv deal. It includes sunday ticket for free too.

14. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

We've had T-Mobile for the past 10+ years, couldn't be happier. The coverage may have been an issue in the past, but it really has been fantastic for the last 4+ years. Their customer service is a major plus as well.

If you do decide to switch, make sure you take full advantage of their offers. Currently they have something where they give you $800 if you bring over 4 lines, trade in your phones and sign up for 24 month payment plan for their phones (effectively a 2 yr contract without a cancellation fee).

As for Comcast, we really don't have a choice considering our usage and the lack of options in the area. I sign up for 1 yr contracts, use my own modem + router, and pray I don't have to call them.

15. Svpernaut

T-Mobile really pissed me off when they launched their "unlimited, but not really unlimited" plan a few months ago. Misleading advertising at its finest.
    I simply can't recommend a service that openly tries to fool the gullible. My Mom has been a customer since 1999 when it was GTE Wireless, and then Voicestream before T-Mobile, and just last week she went in for a new phone and they sold her a crappy bottom of the line LG Android as "top of the line" with a two year deal - while also taking her grandfathered in unlimited plan from 10+ years ago, and changing her to T-Mobile One. I promptly had her return the phone and had them put her back on her original plan. Long story short, they can kiss my butt.

16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I went from ATT to Cricket wireless.

1. Same network. I read about a lot of bad connection with TMobile where I live so I wanted to stay with ATT's network.
    2. I've been buying my own phone unlocked so that I can move to another carrier if need be so no installment plan
    3. RIght now they have an 8GB plan for $50 or $45 after you enroll in auto-pay.

If you have more than one person on your plan, it starts to get real good after the 3rd line. They give you $10 off after two lines, another $20 after 3 lines, another $30 after 4 lines. etc.

I've been using the service for a couple of months now and notice little difference between Cricket and ATT other than an occasional lag in streaming.

17. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I hate both, don't do it.

18. Scolandry

Scolandry Member

T-mobile otherwise known as Trash-Mobile is absolute garbage. At least 5 dropped calls per day and I hardly ever get any reception in my neighborhood in Sugar Land. Going to be switching to Verizon soon because having a minimum of 5 dropped calls per day is just stupid.

19. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

No doubt, that new plan is definitely not as good as the old unlimited plans. In fact, we are still on the old "Simple Choice" plan because it makes better financial sense for us and we don't really use much data. And of course, I can't remember the last time I bought a phone from them.

In the end, I don't see much difference between their less-than-savory tactics and other phone companies. The difference is that I feel like I get better bang for my buck with T-mobile

20. Svpernaut

To each their own. I just choose not to support companies with shady business tactics if I don't have to, thus the reason I am using Google's Project Fi. I've also cut the cord for the very same reason, although I am stuck with either AT&T or Comcast for internet unfortunately.

arkoe and shastarocket like this.