1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[TMAC] "It's my fault people in the stands ordered Heinekens and got Budweisers"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by codell, Apr 23, 2008.

1. codell

codell Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5725471.html

April 23, 2008, 6:55PM

McGrady: Playoffs put him in 'tough situation'

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

All those pointing at Tracy McGrady for the Rockets' failures in their playoff series against the Utah Jazz and his failure in getting beyond the first round in six playoff appearances on Wednesday added a surprising voice to their cause.

McGrady blamed himself.

Sort of.

Mocking those who blame him, McGrady joined the chorus.

"It's my fault," McGrady said. "It's my fault we missed free throws. It's my fault we lost both games. Blame me. It's my fault we fouled to tie the game up. That's my fault. It's my fault they get easy layups. It's my fault we're not executing well on the offensive end. It's my fault a couple people in the stands ordered Heinekens and they got Budweiser. It's my fault. I'm sorry."

Told the beer reference might have revealed his straight-faced sarcasm, McGrady rolled on.

"I am serious," he said. "It's my fault. Everything is my fault. It's my fault. It's T-Mac's fault.

"Everybody's blaming me. The Suns. I mean, everybody. That's what it seems like. It's my fault. I'm out there by myself."

McGrady carried the Rockets for three quarters on Monday, scoring 22 points with 10 rebounds and nine assists. He had one point and three rebounds, without an assist in the fourth quarter as the Rockets fell into two-game hole in the series, explaining he was worn out in the fourth quarter.

In the two games, he is 0-for-7 in fourth quarters, prompting debate on McGrady's play in this and past series.

"I'm in a tough position," McGrady said. "If I go out and try to be passive and we're not making shots, then we're in a hole. If I am aggressive and I have to stay that way, then fourth quarter, I'm worn out, don't have the lift I do in the first three quarters.

"It's a tough situation to be in. Story of my season or my playoff career."

This has become a greater issue with the Rockets shorthanded with the Rockets playing the first two games of the season with Yao Ming and Rafer Alston out.

"That's another one of my faults, that Rafer got hurt and Yao got hurt," McGrady said. "It's my fault. I'm sorry.

"Even some of the guys can't even believe it. I was talking to one of the guys and he was like, "I would hate to be you. I really can't believe what some of the people say about you, especially after playing the game you played the other night.' They can't believe it."

Rockets coach Rick Adelman seemed surprised by the criticism as well, but said he was not concerned that it would affect McGrady.

"He's got a lot on his shoulders right now, no matter what he does," Adelman said. "He almost got a triple double and it still wasn't good enough. He's going to be fine. He's pretty tough mentally. He'll get through it."

McGrady also said that he would not change the way he plays. Though he made it clear he was extremely aware of the criticism, he said it doesn't bother him.

"I got to keep on doing what I do," he said. "I can't even worry about that."

McGrady, however did acknowledge that if the Rockets win, he would also be given excessive credit.

"You said it, man. That's it," McGrady said. "If we was to win that game Tuesday night, despite me scoring only one point in the fourth quarter, if was was to win that game, Oh, I had an awesome game — an unbelievable game. If we win, I made my teammates better, I rebounded, I played defense. That would have been the story line. But because we lost (ellipses)

"I can't do nothing about it."

McGrady was told that his childhood hero, Magic Johnson, had praised him on the TNT broadcast.

"If Magic Johnson liked my game," McGrady said, "then damn what everyone else says."

2. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

T-Mac is also the reason for our slumping economy.

I'm not going to bother defending Tracy anymore because I'll just get flamed by all the haters. I've said my peace in other threads.

3. bbjai

bbjai Member

thats pretty true

People are throwing him under the bus despite the fact that the team is missing two starters and a bench that amounts to no bench. All of this against a Jazz team primed with playoff experience.

His only Human, Im pretty sure I haven't seen anyone win series without the second and third option of their team out and their bench playing like worse then scrubs.

If anything I want to know why our bench has become non existent in this series.

Seriously guys, name a player who has won two playoff games with their third and second option injured (Yao and Rafer), with a bench contributing absolutly nothing to the scoreboard.

Prove me wrong

4. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Somebody call the freaking Wahhhmbulance. Why can't he just say we need to get better and leave it at that? It's like he's begging for pity. That's something a champion or a leader would never do. You make 20 mill a year. Get over it and do your job.

5. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

i've been critical of tmac in the past when he was healthy and had help, but this year's playoffs he's doin the best he can. imagine if the cavs were in the west, they'd get destroyed by the jazz. this is what the rockets are: a one man show. tmac knows that "it takes five", but his teammates aren't delivering. if the rockets had the landry of old we'd have a legit shot at winning this series.

6. Winrockets

Winrockets Member

I feel for McGrady :( , I don't think he played well in Game 1 but he really gave it his best in Game 2. I hope next season both Yao and Tmac can stay healthy and the Rockets can get a better starting point guard. The entire Rockets team has such likeable people with alot of potential and talent, they are Championship material.

7. rawool

rawool Member

LOL, I liked this interview. What he said is true.

Just blame everything on T-Mac.

8. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

Whine whine whine.

Just play T-Mac. You weren't shorthanded last season. Oh and yes, you missed your share of the freethrows that could've won the game for us.

If the defense is soooooooooo ridiculously tough, more than any other star guard in the playoffs before (at home), then shoot less. Anyone on the team can shoot 30-35% while you do other stuff. Don't take 25 shots knowing they're going to be bad shots.

9. Madmax89

Madmax89 Member

"we was"

lol....

t-mac always starts speaking without thinking come playoff time. I bet interviewers have a jizm in their pants at a chance to interview him b/c they know he will say something stupid.

10. bluerap04

bluerap04 Member

The irony :rolleyes:

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If this were Lebron. I think he can single handily carry a team. He did against the pistons.

12. bbjai

bbjai Member

Lebron doesn't play in the west

I'd like him to carry his team through three seven game series against Western Conference teams. Dare him to in fact.

Look noone has been able to answer my question. Can seriously anyone name another player in a play off series so short handed?

13. ThaShark316_28

LOL @ the ppl in this thread makin fun of mac are the ones he's clowning...so young...so bitter.

14. Shaggy

Shaggy Member

He does get thrown under the bus for not winning but he also gets all the credit when they win. He has to understand this and accept it. There is nothing he can do to change it. Adleman says Tracy is mentally tough but he doesn't portray that at all. He seems to be really bothered by it. I seriously think the only difference between Tmac and Kobe/MJ is his mental toughness. TMac could do whatever he wanted to (4th Quarters) if he would just demand (take control) when is team really needed it.

Shaggy

15. Nitro1118

Nitro1118 Member

No he didn't...he had one amazing game, 2 good games, and 3 horrible games.

16. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

tmac is the reason i sometimes dont get the poonanny

17. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Yeah, but didn't Tmac said this team is playing much better without Yao offensively and defensively? I thought Yao clogged up the paint for him.

It's been 21games Tmac and you haven't shot over 50%.

18. ThaShark316_28

T-mac left that girl in Kobe's room. :D

19. bbjai

bbjai Member

not to mention Gibson acutally shooting well for 31 points

last time another Rocket not named Yao or T-mac did that?

20. Tree-Mac

Tree-Mac Contributing Member

If I were T-Mac I wouldn't mind taking the heat. I'm still making $20 millions! :D Who cares about these stupid critics. They can't take my contract away!

T-Mac is attacked because of this. He makes the most money on the team but can't lead them. Okay, say they are missing pieces or whatever. The problem is, his shooting sucks. But the worst part is his free throw shooting. No excuses there! It's FREE and he still suck at them. This, to me, is laziness. Yeah, he's not the only Rocket who sucks at free throws, but the other Rockets are not "superstars". A "superstar" is supposed to do "super" things, such as making jumpshots over opponents better than non superstars and hitting most of his free throws. If he can't do these things, then he should just be called a "star". He's not super.

If T-Mac would realize that maybe he's not a "superstar" and take the role as a sidekick (which he was when he was in Toronto), then maybe people won't put too much blame on him. I don't know why some people believe he's one of the top 5 players in the league. :confused: He might be good one on one, but basketball is a team sport. And comparing him to Kobe is just a joke.