1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tivo/DVR service

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Fatty FatBastard, Sep 24, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Fatty FatBastard

Does anyone know much about this?

Do they all require a subscription if you have comcast? Thinking about it for a gift.

Thanks.

2. no_answer

no_answer Member

I think you pay an amount to get the dvr box and then you pay extra each month for the service. I have comcast and a dvr but i'm not sure how much it costs us. Not much i'm sure.

3. Fatty FatBastard

My main issue is getting someone a gift that they have to pay for. (ie. subscription.)

I'm lousy with gifts. I can't come up with any unique ideas. Thought about a nice tennis bracelet, but I wouldn't know a crappy one from a good one.

Ugh.

4. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Is it for your woman? How about a gift certificate to a day spa?

5. Fatty FatBastard

Yup. Her birthday is in a couple weeks. I thought about the day spa thing, but it's been done before for her.

6. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Spa packages never get old. You can do it again, but give it to her in a memorable way. Not just hand her a card with a gift certificate in it.

Be creative.

7. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

If you're looking at a Comcast DVR, you have to pay it month by month.

Tivo, on the other hand, you can buy, and pay up to 3 years worth of service at a time, I THINK they may also be doing their lifetime subscription thing again....but you'd have to look into that.

8. no_answer

no_answer Member

What's your budget? You can't go wrong with something from HERE

9. Fatty FatBastard

They do, but I can't justify a $600 gift for TV. I was thinking it may have been out long enough that people knew how to forgo the subscription. Hell, I didn't even know there was one until today.

10. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

TiVo works with Comcast as well. It's $13 per month, but you have to buy a TiVo box, usually for $149 (though sometimes you can get a free one)

Comcast just sends you a new box and you pay about the same per month that TiVo charges. TiVo is a lot better IMO. EDIT: I forgot TiVo only lets you record one show at once, while Comcast lets you watch a different channel while it records. Still, TiVo is much more user friendly.

I would go in another direction if it is for a GF.

11. Fatty FatBastard

Well, we will see if I can get any feedback through this thread. I'd prefer not to post a thread on its own, because my girl has been known to come onto this site and find my threads.

To the ladies: I've decided against the Tivo. What would be the better gift? A day spa package or a diamond tennis bracelet?

12. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

How about you give it to her in the pooper, i hear chicks love that...

13. Hayesfan

Diamonds last forever.

14. Fatty FatBastard

On that note, is yellow gold "out" now? I've noticed that white gold seems to be a lot more expensive, so I'd prefer to get a larger cut diamond on a yellow gold band, but if it is not "in fashion" I'd go with the white.

Thoughts?

15. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Diamonds. She'll pretty much have to.

16. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

Get her a REAL MAN!!!

17. Hayesfan

I think it's personal preference. Me that's all I wear is white gold.

Keep an eye on the jewelry she wears most often to see which is her preference and go with that.

More important than size is how often she will want to wear it, if it goes with other jewelry that she wears often then it will be a bigger hit than if you just go for the big rock.

18. Pete the Cheat

pick up a tiffanys box and then go shop here...silly braud will never know what hit her...

19. no_answer

no_answer Member

Diamonds over the spa for sure. Hayes is right. Check out what she wears and let that help you decided. ALSO, don't just buy something because it has large diamonds (and a discounted price tag) on it. Check out their quality. It's better to go smaller and higher quality imo.

20. no_answer

no_answer Member

I mean smaller size and higher quality. Incase it wasn't clear.