1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tinnitus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Htown's2kFinest, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I had ringing in my ears for about a week after a Rush concert one time. The band was playing some video and it was causing some horrible feedback coming out of a PA speaker hovering above me from the floor. It actually hurt hearing it. I've never experienced any hearing pain like that before. But, it did go away. I guess it was a symptom of Tinnitus but wasn't actually it? I obviously did some damage to my hearing that healed in a week. It was very annoying having that ringing in the ears. I am thankful it wasn't permanent because I don't know what I'd do. I guess it's a life adjustment that you can somehow mitigate.

2. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Bumping up an old thread.

I've recently developed a case of tinnitus. I can deal with it but it really is pretty annoying. It's ringing pretty loud as I type. I've been reading up on it and there is no from what I see. I've been dealing with it now for probably over 5 months. The only trigger I can think of was a shitty band playing their shitty music cranked way too loud to where there was the ringing and muffled sound my ears for days.

I did read that magnesium may be something that helps and I'm going to boost my magnesium intake with supplements.

Has anyone that has this found any relief aside from the white noise or prescription antidepressants?

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Benzos calm it down for sleep -- get a white noise machine to focus on and try to stay away from silent rooms. Play a radio/TV for instance if you are in your office and it's super quiet because you'll start focusing on the ringing. There is a national tinnitus organization Google it for detailed information. There are hearing aids that match the frequency and silence the noise but they are super expensive. When your ears are plugged it gets worse so valsalvo (scuba diving) to clear your eustachian tubes and use a decongestant.

Falcons Talon likes this.
  4. Falcons Talon

Thanks for that info. I'll definitely look into that. I noticed last week that it seemed to crank up a little bit for no apparent reason.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

It will go up and down - if your allergies are bad esp mold it will get worse while your head is plugged up. Focusing on a sound other than the ringing is very important - your brain is creating 'sound' to make up for hearing loss and for whatever reason it does a poor job.

6. Falcons Talon

Luckily, at the end of last year, I had balloon sinuplasty and septoplasty. That, plus Claritin D and Nosonex has kept my congestion completely at bay.
    I knew when that crappy band hurt my ears that I was screwed.

7. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Always wear ear plugs @ shows from now on and it won't get worse. If you choose not to, it will only do more damage.

8. Falcons Talon

Usually, the volumes levels are pretty good, but this lead singer was just a screeching jackass. I'll make sure to keep some plugs in my truck from now on. That'll help for hunts as well.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  9. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I've gotten it before when I was on some pain meds. It got so loud at first and I did not realize it was in my ears. I looked all over my house trying to find the source of the ringing for about a week. I was going crazy. I thought it may have been coming from things like a clock on the wall to a fluorescent light fixture and even a damn locust somewhere in my house. My friends had no idea what I was talking about and I didn't understand why they couldn't hear it. It would fade every now and then when I focused on other sounds but I I didn't know that at the time. It finally went away about 2 or 3 weeks after I took a break from some of the meds. . It comes back some times, just not as loud.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm wondering if I have this or not because, for me, it's only in my left ear.

Constant ringing in my left ear only. And when I listen to music, everything in my left ear is higher pitched than my right ear. About a half step higher to be exact. As a musician, this drives me crazy. Also when I swallow, my left ear pops....but then needs to be popped again after just a few minutes. This happens constantly, all day and all night. Swallow, left ear pops, swallow, left ear pops, rinse, lather, repeat....

I'm wondering if I have tinnitus or just a bunch of wax built up in my left ear? I've tried all kinds of drops to no avail. My band uses an in-ear monitor system, so wonder if that has anything to do with it. My right ear has no issues at all.

11. Falcons Talon

I know that you can have tinnitus in one ear. As for the other symptoms, I'm really not sure. Especially the popping.

12. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Ooh yeah got it bad in my left eye bc of My Bloody Valentine in 09, they handed out ear plugs @ the door and had warnings about sound levels. The whole show was ok, heard folks bragging about 'I've heard louder!!" Then they got to the last song, it was the aural equal to staring into the sun for 10mins. Like standing under a jet plane, I could feel tremendous inner ear pain during the show and for about 2 weeks after. And it's never went away but only my left ear..

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Sounds like you were blatzed. I should have this problem, but so far, I've avoided most of it. My ears might ring for a week or two after going to a loud concert, but it always goes away, so far. I was once about 40 feet from a big stack of speakers at a Jimi Hendrix concert in the Coliseum. It was loud. So were loads of other concerts back then, and no one thought about sound levels much. My ears should be screwed. I should get some of those custom ear plugs. We've dialed down the number of really loud clubs we frequent. My significant other doesn't have Tinnitus, but she's lost some of her hearing in one ear. My ears are made of sterner stuff, I guess. She went to a lot of concerts as well.

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  14. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

ear plugs are a must! bad ears runs in my family, and i go shows every other weekend, so i always bring them with me.

Deckard and Torn n Frayed like this.
  15. Exiled

Exiled Member

medications seems to help a bit:
    carbamazepine if you've experienced anxiety
    Dexamethasone if you experienced sudden hearing loose
    stay away from Lidocaine

16. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

It comes and goes for me. It is also happens sometimes right before I have a vertigo attack. Talk about a bad time. I've got meniere's disease so the ringing brings on anxiety big time.