1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tinnitus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Htown's2kFinest, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

From what I understand, there is no cure. I've had it since I was a kid. Imagine trying to explain to your mom this noise you hear in your head, without fully understanding how it all works and what it's called, etc. My mom thought I was coo coo.

2. Convictedstupid

I have it. All the years of drumming and what not. I was dumb enough not to play with ear plugs for a few years.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

There is no cure for Tinnitus - as you lose hearing your brain tries to fill in the missing sound and does a very poor job of it. The only exception is if it is a medication causing the ringing - taking lots of aspirin can cause tinnitus for example. The only drug to take for it are benzos like xanax -but this is of course an off label prescription.

American tinnitus association... link.

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I've had it since 1987, there's no cure.
    When people say "learn to live with it", well no sh##, there's no other freaking choice.

Sorry. Small doses of Xanax will help you sleep.

And crank it up because that's the only thing that drowns it out.

5. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

Boys have a penis, girls have a vagina?

;)

6. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I have it. And aside from being solely my own doing, it's mostly Les Claypool's fault... that or Al Jourgensen, but I had it to some degree before then as well (as long as I can remember).

Interesting info, KC, thanks. Easy to find, I suppose, but I never think about it, as I have always assumed there isn't much you can do about it. Really you tend to just tune it out or ignore it usually, though silence makes it tougher. I haven't thought about it in a long time, and now that it comes up, of course, I can't stop hearing it. Good times.

In-ear plugs are bad for you for some reason? Because of them going in your ear in general (poking something), or because people listen too loudly for them to be that close?

7. halfling131

halfling131 Member

I personally thought I was hearing things until I figured out that it was the high pitched whine from certain electronic devices that I was hearing...

Hopefully when I get older my ability to hear those high pitches will disappear.

8. prs325

prs325 Member

Tinnitus is a symptom of hearing loss. Theres no cure for it although there are several things that can compound such as:

1. Cerumen (earwax)
    2. TMJ
    3. Noise exposure
    4. Caffeine
    5. There are abut 200 medications that have tinnitus as a side-effect

There are several ways however to circumvent it. Because tinnitus is more noticeable when everything is quiet, one of the inexpensive ways to combat it is to have some kind of noise in the environment to have the brain focus on instead of the ringing. You can use TV, music, a sound generator or putting the dial on the radio in between frequencies to act as white noise.

Hearing devices generally work as well since it amplifies the ambient sounds. Obviously, it helps with hearing loss also. Other devices that may help are Tinnitus Retraining Therapy (TRT) and Neuromonics. TRT is basically a masker in the ear while the Neuromonics device allows a patient to listen to music which centers on the frequency of the tinnitus. Over time (1 year or more) of continuous listening, the tinnitus will subside.

OTC doesnt generally work. Ginko Biloba, an hearbal medication that boost memory supposedly cures tinnitus. However research have found that only 50% find relief.

Hope this helps

Yung-T likes this.
  9. BabyClutch

BabyClutch Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure I've had this all through elementary and middle school. High pitch noises in my ear, especially when its quiet and one ear is against a pillow or something. It went away in high school though. Not sure why. Didn't even realize it was a problem until this thread.

10. tomato

tomato Member

11. Htown's2kFinest

Ginko Biloba or whatever its called is one of the natural remedies I read a little about. Wondering where can I get this? Do I have to have a prescription or can I just go to a store and get it? I wanna try this and see if it helps.

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You can get it at any health food store, and probably in the vitamin section of most supermarkets.

They used to think Ginko helped old people not become senile. That turns out to not be true, but it is still one of the core items stocked.

13. prs325

prs325 Member

You can get Gingko over-the-counter at most drug store. Remember that in addition to improve memory retention, its also a blood thinner. You cant take it if youre already taking Coumadin or any blood thinning medication.

14. bratna8

bratna8 Member

I've had it for 14 years....just saw a doctor today and there's no cure for it.

FYI, Yao Ming has it and David Letterman to name a few.

15. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I believe my tinnitus was caused by a viral infection that damaged the nerves in my ear. I got Chicken Pox and Shingles within a month of each other (drugs are bad, mmmmkay) when I was 34.

None of that stuff helps me. The Neuromonics machine costs $5000 for a bad Ipod with 4 hours of bad music. I rented it for a month but the music was more annoying than the tinnitus.

16. Starvela

Starvela Contributing Member

Anybody else suffering from this..? It sucks!!

17. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

It's 8yrs later and I still have the constant ringing in my left ear. FUKC YOU MBV!!!!!!! Here's a video with something you can do to help it...

18. Starvela

Starvela Contributing Member

How loud is your ringing..?

19. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i have it, started after taking blood pressure meds, and has continued, even tho i've been off the meds for 2+ years.

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I have it but usually don't notice it at all. It's just some internal nerve reporting data to the brain where no data should exist.

What helps me, honestly, is living in a busy city. Even at night, there is a bustle of background noise. Mrs B-Bob and I are constantly listening to music in the house, and I have a noisy work place at a crowded university. So all in all, there's little chance for me to notice it.

Right now, pre 6 am in SF, getting up to work on my book, and seeing this thread,... yes, I notice my old friend tinnitus. My understanding from my doctor and from reading about it is that everyone has it to some degree.