1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[tinman, I'm not a cheapskate] Where to place REAR speakers?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SwoLy-D, Sep 26, 2006.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I have a 6.1 system, meaning that there are two in the rear, a rear center, and two front along with the center channel and subwoofer for a total of six (6) speakers and a subwoofer, like so:
    http://www.consumertechtips.com/hmtheatr.html (the second diagram)

I've had the speakers resting on the couch for a while, at armrest level. It's time to bring them up. I have a wall behind the SOFA/COUCH that faces the HDTV, so I can do either on the ceiling, on the wall, but how? Inclined or facing the system? Where should I place the REAR speakers? Give me a hand deciding this... even if your username is not tinman or Dr of Dunk.

The bracket on the rear speakers allows two slide-screws to hold them secure.

#1 SwoLy-D, Sep 26, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
  2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Foo, take some pics or something... you lost me at "I have a wall behind the wall" - wth, you live in a dungeon??? LOL.

Are you saying your rear surround are behind you? They shouldn't be - they should be on either side of you. Ideally the only speaker that should be behind you should be the rear center channel.

As for the rear surrounds, they should be anywhere in a line horizontally with your seating position to slightly (and I mean slightly) behind where you're sitting. They should ideally be about a foot or two higher than your seating position. The should be facing your ears (actually it's a bit more complex than that depending on the type of speakers, but...)

If you can't get these positions "ideal", don't sweat it. Experiment with what you like. My rear surrounds are mounted around 9 feet up the side walls. My 2 rear channels are mounted on the ceiling. All 4 of those speakers are in-wall/in-ceiling speakers with pivoting tweaters that I point towards the listening area.

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

i was about to say take some pics too.

Swoly-D, invite us to your house so we can watch some Cloob ohh Mere-Kah.

4. SwoLy-D

Corrected my post, Dr Of Dunk. I meant wall behind the sofa. :D

If I am sitting in front of this: http://img134.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf5789eh2.jpg, viewing the screen, I am on a sofa with a wall behind me. There is a wall to the left with a huge window which looks out to the backyard. To the right, there is no wall. I couldn't do this: http://www.hometheaterbuilder.com/graphics/ac3dig.jpg, because there is nothing to the right (open space, stairs, etc.). So I have to do even sound BEHIND the sofa.

Kam, it's "kloob ahMEddika."

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this is the million dollar question that many scientists and scholars think about daily.

for the idiot home builders who did not think of home entertainment, yet love to place fireplaces in hotter than hell texas is beyond me.

i

6. SwoLy-D

OK... ummm... I think the builders outreach program is down the corner... tinman, don't let me down, man... I don't even have a fireplace...:D

7. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

Move your couch a foot or two from the wall and put them on stands or wall mounts at roughly ear level.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The only thing I can think of doing is mounting the speakers from the ceiling. But for the rear surrounds, that may sound a bit weird, and depending on speaker size, look goofy. Either that or put them on stands on either side which may still look awkward. My personal opinion is that you should move. :D

... and is that a pink Lamborghini Diablo?? :D

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That TV almost fits in that room.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

:eek:

11. SwoLy-D

That's a good idea, Kilgore Trout, but it will be awkward. I don't have too much room in front of the sofa to do that. :(
    I put the left one flushed to the wall. I'll take a picture tonight.

KingCheetah, that's a receded wall. The door on the left of the TV is a closet.

WHY, yes, yes it is a Lamborghini Diablo. A present.
    http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf0262dx7.jpg (old photo of it, notice the dscf number of the photo)

The idea here is to not have them rub against my wall if they rest on the sofa that's on the wall where I want to hang them. I'm doing all this so my wife doesn't get mad at me anymore from the speakers rubbing off the eggshell paint on the wall :eek: . Man, that's ghetto.

Look, let's just focus on the task at hand, ok...? I'm trying to get good sound here, and you guys are noticing things AROUND my TV... sheesh... :rolleyes:
    I also have a BMW 850i. A present, too.

12. xcharged

xcharged Member

I'd hit it.

13. SwoLy-D

:mad: You couldn't just walk your *ss 10 feet to my office and said that? Lazy *ss. :rolleyes: VOTE!

Hey, man, so are they moving Leon into your office, or what...? Oh, rearry? ;)

14. xcharged

xcharged Member

Your office smells like a cinemax movie. We've been over this.

Now go get me some meat loaf.

my vote...keep it real and put a tv on top of your tv.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

speakers should always (except for subs) be placed where the tweeters are ear level for proper imaging. And most speakers sound better away from the wall.

16. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

what he said...Nice WP Lamp ;)...I'm assuming you have a one-story, but don't know...if so, buy some stands or if you really want to mount, do it a little above your couch at ear level...Same with front...If its two story, you could do the same, but you'll have speaker wire everywhere...

17. Ognilecaf

Ognilecaf Member

Has anyone ever actually put a flat screen on their ceiling?

As for the speakers:
    Back top towards the ceiling if you are viewing from the middle of the room,
    middle of you are towards the back.

18. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Actually, I'm more concerned about the Winnie the Pooh lamp...

19. SwoLy-D

http://img166.imageshack.us/my.php?image=speakerlayoutcr3.gif

I have a 2-story house. It is the gameroom upstairs, which has the wall-less side leading to the stairs. The speakers are sitting currently as follows:
    FL on the armrest of the long sofa, RC and RR speakers are on the armrests of the love seat, RL is on the computer desk. SW is next to the TV and C channel is on top, under the Diablo.

For sh*ts and giggles (and to test how my wife would react), I have already hooked up the RR speaker up close to the ceiling. Picture coming up tonight.

rrj_gamz, the Winnie-The-Pooh lamp was there when I set up the PS2 for lighting, and I never took it back because it added ambiance lighting when I turned off ALL the lamps. My 5 and 7-year-old girls think it's cute... they like the THEATER-like atmosphere it gives... and... ummm... I like it, too. Got a problem with that, huh, HUH, A-Train, HUH!?!?!? Freaker.

20. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I just think that a Lion King lamp would complement your decor better, that's all....