1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Timetable for McHale ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets0515, Nov 20, 2012.

Tags:
  1. pistol111847

pistol111847 Member

I agree - coaching is extremely important in basketball.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I alluded to that, but didn't come right out and say it. If this is going to continue for weeks, then god, I hope so. Of course, we might not like the job Finch does, but I'm ready to make a change... now.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm hoping this train wreck continues, we continue to lose, secure a decent draft pick for once in my life, then let McHale step down gracefully. If Morey truly wanted to win we wouldn't have hired McHale in the first place and I mean that.

4. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

I wonder what really happened it must be a dire circumstance or he would have been back with the team.

5. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

Originally Posted by Air Langhi
    I think coaching is overrated in basketball. I also don't think McHale is a good coach. If we had lebron or dwight this team would win 50-60 games.

briliantly noticed!

6. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I have been looking at BB from many views over the years, and the most reliable future indicator of team success is the Vegas over/under team wins. These are not hot air armchair analysts, they actually have a feedback loop - they lose money if they are wrong. After the Harden trade the over/under for the Rockets was 35 wins 0.426%. The Rockets current record is 4-7 yielding a winning % of 0.36. Within the margin of error for such a small sample size.

Also not a valid conclusion. Completely lacks any supporting data and is a personal opinion. At some point you have to admit that it is not the coaches, it is the talent on the roster. But we expected that. Or at least I did. And many others. Mocking the use of basic arithmetic symbols to represent the team:

(Youngest team) + (Highest roster turnover) + (average talent) = LOTTERY

But I think most of us are optimistic. The Rockets should improve faster than most NBA teams this season, and there is the lottery and the max contract to consider.

Using the Lakers as an example of a bad coach ignores the fact that the Lakers (read Kobe) decided that Brown was done. Using that train wreck for comparison is not valid for any other current coaching situation in the NBA.

In another week or two I will make another attempt at a thread to, without emotion, address the Rockets coaching situation.

7. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I wonder how much of the Royce White situation has to do with McHale's absence? As I recall, he was the one who really wanted the guy.

1 person likes this.
  8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

It's sadder that Morey gathered up the worst coaches in the world to work for him.

9. muas2010

muas2010 Member

I don't think so, when the playing field is pretty even, like the NBA. Even in little league you can tell a bad coach from a good coach. A good coach knows the strengths and weaknesses of all his players and work accordingly to optimize team play (assuming everyone buys in).

10. thekad

thekad Member

People wanted to get rid of him because he proved to be a bad coach that was out of his depth.

11. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

your pretty subjective...samson kelvin is doing pretty good job...team and players are doing very good...it's only that he had a few unlucky losses most of them caused by bad refree calls...

12. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

About time someone posted this thread. I wish his daughter a quick and efficient recovery though.

13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Fixed

14. muas2010

muas2010 Member

I personally think Delfino is a big xfactor for this team, as he's the only consistent 3 point shooter on the team. Houston needs to develop from within or get one from the outside.

15. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

In response to the OP, I would say McHale is not on a timetable. I believe you have to have some measure of stability and time with your players before you can evaluate who is coaching them.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They were winning last season.
    He could not get this team play together this early season
    because he lost their trust
    Having said that, he is not a good coach

18. Solidz75

Solidz75 Rookie

Well i know morey doesn't like to make coaching changes in mid season ( he said it himself ) but only exception would be a case like this when Mchale decides to retire due to unfortunate circumstances. In that case, I would be very surprised if he hands over the reigns to Sampson, who has proven himself to be pure moron and not find a reputable coach to make sure our players develop well. And given the young players we have here, I anticipate that this job will quite attractive to many.

19. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

Get Jerry Sloan!

Get rid of McHale, let him get paid his remaining contract. That money is more than any of us will ever have, and he can get the best health care money can buy for his daughter. Then, get Jerry Sloan.

20. PhiSlammaJamma

In the playoffs, the coaching staff is even more important as adjustments are made game to game that significantly impact the result of a series. But also in-game adjustments can save you a game you might othwerwise lose. We are in what I would consider the Doug Collins or the Larry Brown phase. We need to learn. To teach. I don't know much about McHale, but my intuition would tell me he would be more successful with a veteran team, but yet not skilled enough to coach a team through the western conference finals.