1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Time to trade Bagwell?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketsPimp, Jun 17, 2000.

1. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I know this may cause an uproar, but think about it, the guy is about to become a free agent and wants to be paid. He isn't getting any younger and has done jack in the playoffs. The Astros also have Lance Berkman, who is young, can play the position just as good, if not better than Jeff and has shown signs of being a comparable offensive player.

Bagwell could be dealt for some much needed pitching and it would be a blow to the organization to let him go without getting anything in return.

------------------
    We need some meat in the post!

2. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

I think the question of trading Bagwell is one that every diehard Astro fan will have to ask over the next year. Remember we still have him under contract for one more season. I think it will be one that will be discussed heavily over the next off-season.

My thinking is that we should not trade Bagwell. Losing Bagwell also means losing Biggio. Those 2 have been the heart and soul of the Astros for the past decade. True they have not produced in the post-season. But I think the Astros have had the third best regular season record in the 90's only behind the Yankees, and Braves. That is very impressive. Plus we have had plenty of post season opportunities (thanks in big part to those two).

I think Bagwell and Biggio will eventually put it together in the playoff's. And when they do, all I can say is look out!!!!

Bagwell and possibly Biggio may both end up in the Hall of Fame. I think you do not trade players like that. Especially when they have played their entire careers for Houston. Just as Dream is going to retire as a Rocket. I want to see Biggio and Bagwell end their careers as Astros. It still pisses me off that Nolan Ryan is remembered as a Texas Ranger and not a Houston Astro. (Damn remember those orange multicolored uni's [​IMG] )

I think the Astros are smart in bringing up many of their young talent. Give them a chance to learn the big leagues. If we do indeed keep Bagwell than we have to trade Ward. We need to use his high trade value and ship him while we can to the American League. I think he will be a very successful DH. I think of his 26 hits this season, 12 or 13 are home-runs.

We need pitching in a bad way!!! You can never have enough good pitchers.

All you have to do is picture Carl Everrett in a Boston Redsox uniform to puke me out. I do not want to see Bagwell and Biggio having post season success for some other team. I am prepared to succeed or fail on the shoulders of those two.

------------------
    "There is Francis backpedaling at full speed to guard Seattle All-Star Gary Payton on a fast break and then leaping as if off a springboard to make a spectacular fingertip block on what appeared to be a sure layup."

3. Francis3

Francis3 Member

I would hate to give him up, but its probably the best thing to do. I dont think he will even sign with this team, ( the worst record in baseball)

------------------
    President of the Moochie Norris FAN CLUB

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The only way I would trade Bagwell is for a stud pitcher.

That way, our lineup for the next few years would look like this:

C-Meluskey (assuming he doesn't attack any more teammates)
    1B-Ward (he can actually play this position without being much of a liability)
    2B-Biggio (should always be an Astro, kind of like Bagwell, I guess)
    SS-Everett (the guy is finally starting to hit at the AA level, if he can turn into a .280s hitter with exceptional defense, I'll be happy)
    3B-Truby or Spiers (hopefully this kid will play well, Spiers is great, just no power)
    LF-Berkman (he's showing how great he could be)
    CF-Cendeno (started to play very well before injury, very young)
    RF-Hidalgo (our best player right now, could turn into 40 HR, .300 hitter every year with great defense to boot)

A pitching staff consisting of Reynolds, pitcher from Bagwell trade, Lima (pitching much better lately), Holt (ditto), Dotel and Elarton (two young guys who will only get better, IMO).

We could even trade Lima for some bullpen help.

I'm the eternal optimist when it comes to my sports teams, so I think this year is just a minor setback. While I wish we still had C. Everett, I'm not one of those people who blame the front office for our misfortunes this season. Our record wouldn't be much better with those guys here.

I think the blame may lay on the manager, but there are just some teams that are snakebit, for whatever reason. Unfortunately, it looks like the Astros are that team this year, much like the Dodgers last year.

------------------
    Get your proper swirve on...visit www.swirve.com (coming in mid-June, for now visit www.eesite.com)

5. RKMAN

RKMAN Member

Trade Bagwell? Hell no.

6. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I hope we don't, but I think it is inevitable. The Astros need pitching badly, and could get some decent pitchers for Bags. They would then move DWard to 1B. It is a sad economic reality of baseball & the fact that Drayton McLane doesn'[t want to spend the $$$ necessary to build a championship ballclub. We the taxpayers build the team a nice new crib and McLane turns around and guts the team to "lower the payroll". In reality he is lining his pockets and laughing all the way to the bank. I am not going to any more games at Enron Field this year.

------------------
    Bring It!!

7. PhiSlammaJamma

Never. Bagwell is Houston. Trade Ward or Alou to AL, otherwise ownership will be saying, "oops, I did it again." Wagner and Lima make good trade bait this year as well.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.