1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time to Move Forward with the Team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Apr 19, 2011.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Rick Adelman is gone and we are out of the play-offs so instead of constantly trying to pin blame on Les, Daryl or RA, I would rather take a look at the team today and see what we can do moving forward to make us a contender again.

What Are the Rockets Needs?

In order of priority:
    1. A Coach
    2. A stud shot blocking, rim protecting, rebounding and aggressive Center.
    3. A defensive minded Small Forward that can push Chase for the starting spot or back him up.

Who Are The Untouchables?

I think a better question is, “are there any untouchables?” I say there are No untouchables on this team but there are a few players in my opinion that are pretty close.

Kyle Lowry He is only 25 years old, the best defensive point guard in the league and is turning into one of the most clutch scorers in the league. He runs the offense equally great in the half court set or out on the break. I think (as do many who have watched the Rockets this season) he is just starting to move into his prime and has an opportunity to be one of the elite point guards in the league. Kyle is as close as it gets to an untouchable in my opinion.

Kevin Martin is 27 and in the prime of his career. He is the only first option offensive weapon the Rockets currently have on the roster. He is the most efficient scorer in the league and lives at the foul line. Martin goes into next season with a bloated 11.5 million dollar salary, but when he is able to stay healthy and produce like he did this past season the salary looks appropriate. As good as he is on the offensive end, his defense is average at its best and non-existent at its worst. Still, a team could search for a decade and still not sniff a player with his ability to score put points on the board. With all due respect to Tracy McGrady, Kevin Martin is the best scoring option the Rockets have had since Hakeem Olajuwon.

Patrick Patterson at 22 years old has shown enough on the defensive and offensive end of the floor to make me think he is the future at the Power Forward spot for the Rockets. His jumper is deadly out to 18’, he has tons of athleticism and has some really good post moves.

Those are the only three players that I don’t bring up in trade talks but if the other team brings them up I would listen.

Who Has The Most Trade Value?

Kyle Lowry has the most trade value IMO and it’s not even close when factoring his salary, age and production. Kyle is locked up for less than 6 million a year for three more seasons. He will be just 28 at the end of his current contract and will bring in well over 10 million a season if he continues to play like he played during the past season. If he continues to improve, who knows how much he will demand in salary. But for now he is locked up at a bargain price for what he gives a team. Kyle might be the best pure point guard the Rockets have had since John Lucas. The Rockets are not likely to trade Kyle Lowry unless it’s part of a deal that would bring back Chris Paul or some other front line superstar.

Luis Scola Averages 18 pts and 8 rebounds a game at an average salary of about 9.4 million a season over the next 3 years with a fourth year team option. Scola is an iron man in the league who has only missed 8 games in 4 seasons. He is one of the most skilled offensive big men playing the game with a ton of post moves and a shot that is deadly out to 18 feet. He is a great number 2 scoring option. He runs the floor and plays the half court game both extremely well. Luis is a border line all-star and could turn some eastern conference lottery teams into play-off teams. Luis is 30 years old and not likely to be the same player by the time the Rockets are real contenders again unless the team magically acquires a front line superstar and someone that can guard the basket from the 5 spot. Daryl Morey has shown a willingness to move starting players in order to make room in the starting line-up for younger players on the roster with more potential. Patrick Patterson looks like the real deal but playing behind Scola he will very likely not see the floor as a starter for many seasons. At age 22 Pat should be in his prime when the Rockets are contenders again. How good could a team like Detroit be with a starting front court of Greg Monroe, Luis Scola and Tayshaun Prince? Factoring all of that I think Scola not only has good trade value but I think there is a decent chance that Daryl Morey trades him if the opportunity comes up.

Courtney Lee is probably one of the better values in the league at just over 2 million for next season for what he brings. He is an elite level defender with exceptional athleticism and good offensively. However, I’m not sure he is as well respected around the league as he is in Houston. He seems to be a player you have to watch in order to appreciate since he does not fill up the stats sheet. I still feel that there are enough GM’s paying attention that Courtney Lee could be a key piece in any draft day scenario.

Kevin Martin is a first option scoring threat that like Scola would vault many teams in the East from the lottery to the play-offs. His salary has been a major road block in any trade scenario for him. However, with his performance this past season and the fact that he had no health issues could make the salary a non-issue since it looks like a bargain for his offensive production. At 27 he should still be in his prime when the Rockets are contenders again and since Daryl Morey clearly loves this guy coupled with the fact that scores with his ability are so hard to find, I just don’t see the Rockets offering him up in any trade. But as with Lowry I’m sure they are willing to listen.

Potential Coaches

1. I would like to see Elston Turner get a shot. The guy has coached under Rick Adelman for quite a while so I don’t think we would lose our offense. Plus he is young so I think he would not only be hungry but also more open minded to Daryl Morey and his moves.

2. I love Mario Ellie and would love to see him in Houston on the staff but I’m not sure I want him as head coach just yet. I just don’t know enough about him as a coach.

Potential Unrestricted Free Agent Targets… if there is a free agency this year

Chuck Hayes you just have to bring this guy back. He is still young and a premier defender as well as a great passer on the offensive end. If any player in the NBA has ever earned his spot in the league it has to be Chuck.

Yao Ming – I want him back…. at a discount. Yao has not proven he can stay on the court but it would drive me crazy if he got healthy and signed with Miami, OKC, Dallas, LAL or SA and played a key role in a championship. I would push hard to get him signed with a two or three year vet minimum contract with possibly a player option in year two and a team option in year three.

Tyson Chandler – I really wanted this guy last season and would love to get him this season. However, it would likely take all of our available cap room in order to sign him if that is enough because Cuban has already stated he intends to bring him back.

Samuel Dalembert – He might be easier to get than Chandler and although not as good he is probably more durable. Chandler was good at NO like he is at Dallas but they soured on him because he could not stay healthy. Dalembert can rebound, block shots and has had no real health issues to cause him to miss games.

Potential Draft Picks

With my lotter pick I definitely want either Enes Kanter or Bismack Biyombo. Yep I would probably have to move up to get one of them and I would be willing to package Scola or Lee or maybe even both along with our number 14 pick or even add the 23rd pick to get one of them. There are questions about Kanter’s knees and Biyombo’s offensive potential and age but I don’t care. It’s time to shore up the 5 spot and there are two players in this year’s draft that can do that for us for the next decade and a half.

Other players in the draft I would target would be Chris Singleton or Alec Burks. I think Burks is going to be a stud 2 guard in the league. I think Singleton will be a James Posey type of stud defender at the 3 spot.

A second rounder that I am intrigued by is Keith Benson, he brings size, athleticism, rebounding and shot blocking that would be great to have on the team.

The only other player that I would consider maneuvering for would be Jonas Valanciunas who is another big young defensive minded Center that can rebound, block shots and takes high percentage shots on the offensive end of the court.

Wrap It Up

In my perfect world the off-season plays out like this:
    Head Coach: Elston Turner

Free Agent Signings: Chuck Hayes, Yao Ming, Samuel Dalembert

Draft DayTrades: Scola and the 14th pick in the draft to move up in the lottery

Draft: Lotter pick – Bismack Biyombo, 23rd pick – Chris Singleton, 2nd round pick – Keith Benson

And the Rockets would look like this heading into next season:
    Team
    PG – Kyle Lowry , Goran Dragic
    SG – Kevin Martin, Courtney Lee
    SF – Chase Budinger, Terrence Williams, Chris Singleton
    PF – Patrick Patterson, Chuck Hayes, Jordan Hill
    C – Yao Ming, Bismack Biyombo, Samuel Dalembert, Hasheem Thabeet, Brad Miller

Terrence Williams will pull his head out of his ass, play up to his talent and beat out Chase for the starting small forward spot. Yao Ming will finally have a healthy season and with the help of Biyombo and Dalembert, no player in the league will want to come into the paint. Kyle Lowry and Kevin Martin continue to improve as a duo destroying every other back court in the league.

#1 crash5179, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
    3 people like this.
  2. Bo6

Bo6 Member

inb4 terrace williams improvement summer threads

3. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

kyle's performance helps him to solidify his position as a starting pg of a contender. he is way more vital to rox at the end of game than martin. on the other side, martin is not. he can score a bunch but not at the level of other superstars. if possible, morey won't be hesitated to trade him.

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

If you could use Kevin Martin and the 23rd pick to move up high enough to grab Kanter or Biyombo and then be lucky enough to grab Burks with the 14th pick I would take that.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

No trading Martin or Lowry.

6. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

A great post, Crash5179.

Here is my dream moves:

Head Coach: SVG (or Budenholzer)

Free Agent Signings: Chuck Hayes, Yao Ming, Samuel Dalembert/Jordan

Draft DayTrades: Scola and the 14th pick in the draft of this year for next year lottery draft, and a player coming for the salary match.

Draft: Lotter pick – Whoever of the best player left, 23rd pick – Whoever of the big man, 2nd round pick.

7. Raven

Raven Member

Patterson and Lowry are young, but the older vets should be shopped.

Luis and Kevin will never have higher value than they do right now, especially Martin.

8. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Kevin Martin is 28, and we'll be 29 by the time next season starts, assuming there is a lock out. His offensive production, we'll most likely go down in a different system. So trading him now, while his value is highest is probalby the best thing to do.

We don't want to commit the "Aaron Brooks mistake" again. Plus Kevin has clearly stated in the past that he wants nothing to do with a rebuilding team, and clearly from the last couple of moves that's where were heading.

9. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Build around our 4 guy backcourt rotation (Lowry, Martin, Dragic and Lee) I really like that as a 4 man unit. Go forward with your PF rotation being Patterson/Hayes and then rebuild the rest of your team.

Trade Scola, Hill, Budinger and Miller if possible.

Sign Dalembert or Chandler

Target Andre Iguadola or Josh Smith. Then try to move up for Enes Kanter in the draft.

10. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

i hope we can get dalembert

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i don't think the team is done breaking things down. brooks and battier were just the start. i'm not sure that the team is more concerned with plugging holes (center/small forward) than they are with rebuilding / developing young talent.

for example i don't think they would be interested in a guy like camby (even though he would be a perfect fit) because of his age. he's ready to win now and the rockets are planning for later.

moving forward with the team might mean parting ways with miller, and even scola and martin.

12. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

We need to trade one of our shooting guards or scola and move up in the draft as high as possible, we also need to shed off some salary or we are gona be close to the luxury tax again this year especially if we plan to resign yao and pick up on marc gasol, jordan or dalmbert. Martin needs to go IMO we need to sell him sky high right now.

13. rju1986

rju1986 Member

I like the general ideas you've compiled, I concur, elston turner and dalembert are the best fillers at the moment :)

14. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Scola, I would have no problem trading to try to move up in this draft or the next.

Martin & Lowry are guys I wouldn't trade unless I am getting a current player who clearly upgrades a position immediately.

I really just dont see us moving Kevin Martin unless its for a clear upgrade. He is a 3pt shooter who gets to the free throw line, Adelman's system helped, but didn't completely make Martin's game. He had seasons in SAC after adelman had left with averages pretty similar to this year. Yes he is getting older, but he is still under 30 and he is an extremely efficient shooter at a bargain price for his scoring production. He can't be your best player, but he isn't paid like a top player anyway.

15. DragonGirl

DragonGirl Member

Morey try to build championship team and first piece is star. He will try one more time to get star through trade. First summer target is Dwight, second CP3. I do not see Dwight trade at all likely because we don’t have good center to give. But I have seen article Clutch write on possible trade for CP3 with package centered around Lowry. This seems more possible since we have top 10 point guard to give plus many picks. I think we then have good chance signing Chandler or Dalembert and having championship team.

If this fails, I see Morey blow up the team. Martin and Luis Scola will make team win too much to get star in draft. We all want to keep them because they are perfect complements to star, but they keep us from getting star in first place. Best to get what we can instead of continuing cycle of average team.

16. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Good post crash. I would be very happy with your scenario.

17. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

great post... until is saw Yao Ming... what a joke?? really??? Why do you care that he brings in money for our owner? It's not like you get the money?

18. finsraider

finsraider Member

RE:

IMO, Lowry, Lee, Dragic, Budinger and Patterson are "untouchables" based on their age, salary, and potential.

As others have said, Martin will never have a higher value than now...which means it is time to sell. Similar story with Scola, though good PFs are fairly common in the league right now.

I'd attempt a 3 team deal with Memphis that sends Martin and Scola out and brings in Gasol, OJ Mayo, and a 2012 1st.

Resigning Hayes is a must, and if you can get Yao for the Vet min, do it.

Then you hope that you can get that key piece in the 2012 draft that puts you over the top.

Lowry/Dragic
    Lee/Mayo
    2012 Draft/Budinger/TWill
    Hayes-Patterson
    Gasol/Yao/Thabeet

19. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

The roster is in pretty bad shape and we're not getting a superstar anytime soon. How do you NOT blame the GM/OWNER? Stop making excuses for Morey, we will never win anything with low-balling cheap GM who doesn't know basketball outside of +/- stats. We needed a change in front office, not in coach

20. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i would like to be an odd man on this board. the current roster is miles away from being a contender even adding a true defensive center or two as many here believe. this team has no foundation and no superstar. it is made up with all role players. although some of role players can be a starting role player for a contender for sure, like kyle. his performance especially at the critical 4th qt demonstrates he has no fear of shooting the last shot. however, w/o a foundation, we have no chance to compete for a title no matter how you twist the roster. This view has been held by morey so he was desparete to look for superstar after yao went down. of coz, his action won't make those "stars" on the current team happy. i believe this major part of difference btw morey and ra. if i am not wrong, the current roster will be constantly shuffled until a superstar is landed in houston. don't expect small changes, such adding a defensive true center, will stop morey gambling. i believe alot of changes will be seen in next a couple of years. a major shakeup will occur when there is a possibility of landing a superstar. he said in his conference that he won't be satisfied with a playoff bound team until it becomes a title contender. les hired him to build a contender not playoff bound only team.